PDA

View Full Version : Ornge will not land in black holes

rotornut
5th Jul 2015, 13:39
Northern Ontario Ornge service hampered by black holes | BLIZZARD | Toronto & GT (http://www.torontosun.com/2015/07/04/northern-ontario-ornge-service-hampered-by-black-holes)

grumpytroll
5th Jul 2015, 21:00
Do these pilots have NVG's?

This requirement for one pilot to have landed on each spot every six months seems unnecessary/ridiculous/extremely overcautious to me.

I am really confused by this entire operation. I land by myself at all kinds of scenes at night. There are no lights except what I bring, and I have never been there before, in fact I am certain that no helicopter has ever landed at some of these places and never will again.

As for the lights, if wearing goggles I would rather they turn off the lights completely once I locate the pad. (Although I don't need that either with GPS etc.)

I understand it is very dark at times over remote areas but if you have an actual landing pad with roads leading to it and ambulance lights etc nearby I really don't see the problem.

**If you have have NVG's**

pilot and apprentice
6th Jul 2015, 00:32
Currently no NVG's

They are likely very cautious these days as a result of the recent accidents and horrendous press. "Public outcry" is generally loud and short-sighted. Another accident laid at the feet of night, black-hole approach could scuttle the program....

It is still over cautious. The night sites are all well prepared and have been used successfully, and safely, for decades. The issue had been staff turnover as a result of the many changes in the organization (I am no longer there). Follow the procedure, be current, train hard.

And in my opinion, as I've said before, those who cannot meet the standard should be replaced not helped along by restrictions like this.

SirKORSKY
15th Jul 2015, 06:02
I've been offered a pilot job with my choice of locations!

I'd like to hear from guys or gals already employed with ORNGE please?

Thanks, Capt. K

ShyTorque
18th Jul 2015, 12:55
So these pilots don't have the benefit of NVG? Anyone who has had to do this will understand how difficult and hazardous it can be. Even the UK military use NVG, the rules for landing during non NVG ops are very strict, always have been - put there for very good reason.

If the locals want the helipads to be used by night, then surely, all they have to do is to light up "their" helipad to an agreed standard! They don't have to use sophisticated fixed lighting, temporary ones would suffice, as long as they were reliable, to an agreed standard and adequate for the job.

As Ornge quite rightly say, it's for the safety of the aircraft and therefore of those all in or around it when landing and departing, including the casualties flying out. What's so difficult to understand about that?

What might seem a dire, one off emergency to the folks on the ground (and therefore worthy of the crew taking undue risks), is in fact an every day (night) occurence for the crews. They have a right to be kept safe, as much as do the casualties.

As the saying goes, "If you think the price of flight safety is high, just try having an accident!"