PDA

View Full Version : Memorials

Wander00
5th Jul 2015, 08:50
Am I getting things out of perspective, just a grumpy old man (as SWMBO
says I am), or ..............

The Government has announced it is going to fund the building and presumably the maintenance of two memorials, one to those killed in Tunisia, and the other to Brits killed by terrorists "abroad". Now I have no problem with that, but why then do memorials to servicemen killed in defence of this country have to wait for public and charity fund raising for their memorials and, for example, those who got the bomber Command Memorial built have to worry that their personal assets are at risk for building and maintenance costs

Dougie M
5th Jul 2015, 09:09
Wander. You beat me to it. There already exists a memorial to service and civilian organisations and bereaved of all classifications. From firefighters to service widows there are gardens of remembrance at Alrewas. The overseas and indeed the domestic loss of life to terrorist activity should be commemorated here.
It is indeed a tragedy that the sacrifices of wartime endeavour are not as well commemorated, funded or maintained.

MPN11
5th Jul 2015, 09:19
Concur fully with you both - I had the same thought this morning. A sadly typical knee-jerk populist manoeuvre, and only slightly better than bunches of flowers tied to lamp-posts.

Really unnecessary and inappropriate. Indeed, one could imagine these memorials being a target for vandalism by extremists.

Wander00
5th Jul 2015, 09:26
DougieM - thanks for mentioning the Arboretum. Hope to visit there in the next few weeks whilst I am in UK

CoffmanStarter
5th Jul 2015, 09:34
I agree with you all above.

The Sunday Times mentions that this 'memorial' is to be funded from Bank LIBOR fixing fines.

jindabyne
5th Jul 2015, 10:02
Just read the news, and concur with all of the above.

MPN11
5th Jul 2015, 10:06
So well done all, and welcome to the Grumpy Old Man Club :)

Wander00
5th Jul 2015, 10:08
I find it interesting that politicians, Osborne in particular thinks we cannot work out that Libor fines are still "public" money, however he spends it. IMHO this new memorial to the thirty murdered in Tripoli, however atrocious and sad the event, is a knee jerk, publicity seeking, "political" act. IMHO a step too far

50+Ray
5th Jul 2015, 10:26
Agree with all the above.
Ray

P6 Driver
5th Jul 2015, 11:30
To fit in with certain modern culture, non-military memorials must surely be chained to a lamp post with the words "RIP brave soljas, you is with the angles now, innit" featured.

NutLoose
5th Jul 2015, 17:43
In all fairness we always have built one to mark tragedies, an example being the Aberfan disaster, or the Cathederal ruins in Coventry etc, so nothing new there.

It just rankles when they will not fund the upkeep of the memorial, ( or indeed originally build it ) to the thousands killed in Bomber Command, but will do it for 30 holiday makers

teeteringhead
5th Jul 2015, 17:52
and only slightly better than bunches of flowers tied to lamp-posts. And flowers I note - outside the West London Coroner's Court ???

Is it just me ..........:confused:

mmitch
5th Jul 2015, 18:08
The Daily Mail last week had photos of 'Homeless East Europeans' Camping and eating food on the 7/7 memorial in the Royal parks....
mmitch.

Wander00
5th Jul 2015, 18:44
This must be the first thread to get so far in total unanimity. We must all be GOM

downsizer
5th Jul 2015, 19:03
We must all be GOM

What did you expect, it is the Mil History forum...:ok::p

smujsmith
5th Jul 2015, 19:33
Knee jerk reaction from a PM who feels guilty that he has helped to create this particular massacre. Interesting that his statement wasn't queried in the national press, as on this thread. If relevant monuments/memorials already exist why create more ? Or was the great Eton mess not aware of their existance? :ugh:

Smudge

thing
5th Jul 2015, 20:35
Being as self awareness indicates a well developed higher brain function could we reach a consensus that Cameron and Eton mess are actually one and the same on the evolutionary scale?

As to the OP; I agree with all of the above. Remarkable really.

phil9560
5th Jul 2015, 20:37
I honestly don't see the point.The people murdered and their families have my utmost sympathy.But if we built a memorial every time something dreadful happened ?

Union Jack
5th Jul 2015, 21:20
Interesting since, whilst I concur with the general tenor regarding the main thrust of the thread, I cannot wholly agree with some of the supplementary sentiments expressed by some of those whose posts I generally respect and admire.:hmm:

Jack

Chugalug2
5th Jul 2015, 22:17
Wander00:-
...but why then do memorials to servicemen killed in defence of this country have to wait for public and charity fund raising for their memorials and, for example, those who got the bomber Command Memorial built have to worry that their personal assets are at risk for building and maintenance costs Perhaps the Royal Air Force Bomber Command Memorial would have been built much sooner had the Royal Air Force not just left it to a pop singer to make it happen. Who knows, if it had been given such official support it might have been funded in part and/or underwritten by the public purse. As it was the veterans themselves were left to pick up the pieces. Never in the field....

thing
5th Jul 2015, 22:22
I cannot wholly agree with some of the supplementary sentiments expressed by some of those whose posts I generally respect and admireIsn't this the basis for debate and exchange of ideas? If everyone agreed about everything conversation (or posts) other than the mundane would surely be extinguished?

Union Jack
5th Jul 2015, 22:29
Precisely.:ok:

Jack

NutLoose
6th Jul 2015, 00:34
"The Daily Mail last week had photos of 'Homeless East Europeans' Camping and eating food on the 7/7 memorial in the Royal parks....
mmitch. "

I seem to remember that the Germans used to have a similar problem, they used to have an eternal flame burning for the reunification of Germany, unfortunately they often found some tramp cooking his sausages over it, despite numerous arrests he persisted, I bet he was really peeved when the Walls finally came down.... subtle pun intended, did you get it?

alisoncc
6th Jul 2015, 07:57
Don't know what you people are complaining about. Down here in Oz there was a quite massive outpouring of grief when a couple of convicted drug smugglers were excuted. With a school/university setting up a scholarship in their name.

Tankertrashnav
6th Jul 2015, 10:06
We need a bit of dissent here. Where's krystal and chips when you want him? ;)

CoffmanStarter
6th Jul 2015, 14:15
Nutty ...

Yes I did ... But I'm more of a Bowers man myself ;)

Anyway ... I'm getting one of these ... Anyone else interested :)

http://www.thedepartmentoffinethings.co.uk/ekmps/shops/1f555c/images/-grumpy-old-men-mini-sign-391-p.jpg

Herod
6th Jul 2015, 14:45
Nice one Coff; that's now my wallpaper.

Pontius Navigator
6th Jul 2015, 16:32
Great thread drift but GOMC can reap real benefits - £50 here and there for a well argued complaint, best so far was £750. Got the council to fill potholes, surface a road, reinstate yellow lines, cut the verges etc. All things you never have time for when working.

And free by email:)

CoffmanStarter
6th Jul 2015, 16:34
^^^ Well played that Man ^^^ :ok:

1.3VStall
6th Jul 2015, 18:32
Coff,

I'm sorry, old boy, but there is an apostrophe missing from that poster. Standards!

Grumble, grumble, grumble.....

CoffmanStarter
6th Jul 2015, 18:43
1.3VStall :D:D:D:D

Wensleydale
7th Jul 2015, 07:28
Coff, I prefer these......

http://www.oldguysruleuk.co.uk/shop/RARE_VINTAGE_lrg.jpg

CoffmanStarter
7th Jul 2015, 08:24
Nice one Wensley :ok:

November4
7th Jul 2015, 16:57
When the Gulf War Memorial Trust asked the Chancellor for funding to build a memorial at Alwres to those killed in the first Gulf War they got this....

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10408079_10206601697953377_3914732702616116601_n.jpg?oh=b47f c5f95f29cdf6afbfe809e2512ade&oe=561B0C35

Maybe they should have added from the Armed Forces. after "does not routinely support individual memorials to specific groups"

Wander00
7th Jul 2015, 17:19
I am so, so tempted to comment on the name of the signatory, but I would probably end up in the Tower.....................

jindabyne
7th Jul 2015, 18:27
Oh go on - I'll add my support!

ExAscoteer
7th Jul 2015, 18:46
When the Gulf War Memorial Trust asked the Chancellor for funding to build a memorial at Alwres to those killed in the first Gulf War they got this..

Which just shows what little respect pricks like Cameron and his mob really hold for the Armed Forces.