PDA

View Full Version : Red Arrows Feltwell display cancelled today

Sir George Cayley
4th Jul 2015, 09:21
This just in

Independence Day event at UK military base cancelled over security fears | UK news | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/04/independence-day-event-at-uk-military-base-cancelled-over-security-fears)

SGC

Wander00
4th Jul 2015, 09:37
Don't tell me, National Front for the Independence of Norfolk has threatened trouble again..............

sitigeltfel
4th Jul 2015, 09:39
Did they cancel due to their own threat assessment, or on advice from the UK intelligence services?

glad rag
4th Jul 2015, 09:41
“What we learned over the last 48 hours ... gave us a great pause as to whether we wanted to have a large mass gathering on a military base.

“We cancelled our picnic – we haven’t cancelled a single combat sortie. We haven’t taken our foot off the throat of the enemy – none of that has changed.

“So if the terrorists consider us cancelling a picnic as a victory, I think they should readdress their calculus.”
:D :D :D :D

Wander00
4th Jul 2015, 10:04
But that is the Catch 22, only takes someone to make an over-excited assessment of a marginally off colour phone call and we start changing our lives, which is all they need to do. I admire the guts of those who decided to stay on in Tunisia, in many cases to support the country and its economy.

Hangarshuffle
4th Jul 2015, 10:14
Something must be going on, intel wise. Be wise to give it a wide berth. And how about while I'm here, convert the Red Arrows into a crack dedicated anti terror squadron using the latest technology and the best people that can deliver the right munitions onto the head of anyone that dare cross us (and there are many at the moment) be that in this country or anywhere else.....war in the middle 21st century.. all in it together.

Trim Stab
4th Jul 2015, 10:42
Maybe the septics shouldn't be celebrating their independence day in the UK - after all they killed about 24,000 British soldiers.

gayford
4th Jul 2015, 10:54
We didn't have these problems at Feltwell 50 years ago this month when I and many others were preparing for our passing-out parade, how the world has changed.

P6 Driver
4th Jul 2015, 11:16
And the Press Association use a photo of the Red Arrows to illustrate their report of this - flying the GNAT!

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/usaf-axes-july-4-show-over-security-045909018.html#VMfsEtX

Journalists don't help themselves sometimes.

Wander00
4th Jul 2015, 12:36
aah, the real aeroplane then...................

and all the comment so far on that site sees the decision as "capitulation to extremists". I have to say I am somewhat of that view myself

Two's in
4th Jul 2015, 13:11
I believe it was Sir Winston Churchill who said "You can always rely on the Americans to do the right thing, but only after they have tried everything else".

VX275
4th Jul 2015, 17:04
I realise it would take some planning and a lot of missed displays but could someone organise that the next Russian Bear that comes close to our airspace is met by the RAFAT +1 with a toggie on board for the publicity photos.

Wander00
4th Jul 2015, 17:14
Mind you, had a senior moment this morning when I read the heading quickly and saw it as "Red Arrows Farewell Display".....took a few minutes to recover

Wycombe
4th Jul 2015, 20:59
I trust they aren't going to get similarly nervous regarding a certain rather larger Military Show hosted on another of their UK bases in a couple of weeks?