PDA

View Full Version : Expat insurance.

helen-damnation
3rd Jul 2015, 13:48
With apologies, I'm not sure which forum this should go to so Mods, please move a/r.

With the Northern hemisphere holiday rush about to start, looking for recommendations for expat insurance.

Specifically, car hire which includes SLI (for the US/Aus) markets
and
Travel insurance.

I've done the usual Google search which has a number of options for travel insurance but the SLI for hire cars is more difficult.

Please PM if links are not allowed.
Thanks,
HD

jumbo1
3rd Jul 2015, 14:21
I use www.worldwideinsure.com for car top up insurance. You can select worldwide cover and if you google discount coupon for worldwide insure you may get lucky. I paid just over GBP 42 for 12 months coverage and its pay and claim. Been using it for years.

I also use Car Hire from £4/day with Auto Europe (http://www.auto-Europe.co.uk) for car rental. Find their prices excellent and service too. Prices seem to be a bit cheaper than the .com version of the website
Good luck and enjoy
Rgds
J

Dropp the Pilot
3rd Jul 2015, 14:35
If you are in the UK don't bother getting any extra car insurance. The cars is already fully insured with a modest 1000 pound deductible.

captainsmiffy
3rd Jul 2015, 15:18
Dropp, you have to be joking!! Took a car from LGW and, within 10 minutes, had a lorry flick a stone into the windscreen on the M23. Cracked across its length! £250 charge....but this was repaid within a fortnight by the above mentioned worldwideinsure. £42 well spent in my opinion....

helen-damnation
3rd Jul 2015, 16:34
Thanks, I also have that insurance but it doesn't have SLI which leaves you "exposed" if you hire in the US/Canada etc.

Been looking at the travel insurance, some of which offer third party liability but the fine print specifically excludes cars/bikes/planes.

I usually take a 1 year multi travel policy for the family, had PAX in the UK but they won't cover any more.

jumbo1
4th Jul 2015, 03:23
Helen
If youre from the UK try Car Hire Excess Insurance | insurance4carhire.com (http://www.insurance4carhire.com)
Not sure about sli though
Rgds
J

jack schidt
4th Jul 2015, 07:40
Be wary fellas that some of these annual policies require you to be a "resident" of a "normal" country and if exposed otherwise then a much bigger problem might fall upon you.

J

Tower Ranger
4th Jul 2015, 10:43
I've used Worldwide for excess insurance for a couple of years and I've had no issues with it despite having a car damaged in Spain and doing a bit of damage to one in America. For travel insurance I went through Zurich insurance and got an online discount for taking it out through the HSBC.ae homepage.

helen-damnation
4th Jul 2015, 11:06
Jumbo,
Thanks. Unfortunately the small print again, you must be resident in the EEA (Europe).

Tower,
Interesting, but the SLI is cover for 3rd parties which is recommended for certain litigation crazy places!
I'll have a look at Zurich 👍🏼