PDA

View Full Version : QCS at Buckingham Palace

Tankertrashnav
3rd Jul 2015, 09:16
I just mentioned this on the repatriation thread, but as it's a historically significant event for the RAF I thought it better have a thread of its own.

THE QUEEN’S COLOUR SQUADRON – PUBLIC DUTIES IN JULY 2015 - UPDATED

TQCS will conduct London Public Duties from 4-13 Jul 15 with 24-hr mounts on 4, 6, 8, 9, 10 and 12 Jul. Prior to the mount on 8 Jul, TQCS will provide a Guard of Honour on Horse Guards Parade for the visiting Malaysian Chief of the Defence Staff.

On 9 Jul, the Sqn, accompanied by the RAF Central Band and Band of the RAF Regt, will make history by being the first non-Foot Guards Regiment to complete a Changing of the Guard Ceremony on the forecourt of Buckingham Palace (a ‘Double Mount, whereby QCS hands over to itself’). Prior to the ceremony, the St James’s Palace Detachment will march to Buckingham Palace with The Queen’s Body Guard of the Yeoman of the Guard, on their way to its inspection by HM The Queen.

On 10 Jul, the Sqn will again mount and dismount and perform a feu de joie on Buckingham Palace forecourt as part of the commemoration of the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain (BoB). HM The Queen will watch a flypast by the BoB Memorial Flight and the BoB Squadron Standards will be paraded in addition to the Mounting of the Guard Ceremony.

The mounts at Buckingham Palace on 9 and 10 Jul will take place between 11:00 and 12:00, with the main activities starting at 11:20 and the Flypast at 11:45 (the latter subject to weather conditions etc).

Further information is available on the RAF website at - The Queen to mark Battle of Britain 75th anniversary (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/the-queen-to-mark-battle-of-britain-75th-anniversary-02072015). [CPeN 366]

Proud moment for the RAF - good luck to the guys:ok:

Wander00
3rd Jul 2015, 10:30
TTN - Brilliant, would have loved to have seen it, a very well deserved honour for TQCS, as a unit and as individuals.

teeteringhead
3rd Jul 2015, 10:53
TTN Excellent news I too wish I could see it.

As an aside (and a bit of thread drift), were you aware that (relatively) recent changes in regulations would have allowed you to have retained your "mudguards" after re-mustering as a Directional Consultant, as you had completed JROC?

Wander00
3rd Jul 2015, 11:31
ISTR a certain gp capt, DDIOT, doing just that in the 80s

teeteringhead
3rd Jul 2015, 11:57
ISTR a certain gp capt, DDIOT, doing just that in the 80s But he wasn't legal then!

Don't think FO/FL TTN would have got away with it!

Wander00
3rd Jul 2015, 13:16
Never thought he was, but then he was a "character" anyway. ISTR the Sleaford Standard marking his promotion to 2* with a caption "Local Farmer Promoted"!

BTW, and just out of interest, how are TQCS selected for Public Duties, and especially for this auspicious spell of duty? (Hope the Guard Commander remembers his stiff shirt)

ian16th
3rd Jul 2015, 13:20
Slightly off thread.

Is the Queens Colour Sqdn now permanently a job for the Rock's?

There used to be a 'Ceremonial Squad', I've long forgotton its proper name, that was manned by volunteers. Recently passed out former Boy Entrants and Apprentices were sought after, as their drill was of the required standard.

Bismark
3rd Jul 2015, 13:30
An heretical question I know, but what is the QCS actually for? I am not aware of the RN or RM having such a formation, nor the Army, so why does the RAF have this highly drilled group of airmen? Or is it just for the 400 drill movements without a word of command routine.

Please don't tell me it is for guarding the Queen's colour as most formations have a Queen's colour but not the equivalent of QCS.

Laarbruch72
3rd Jul 2015, 13:44
An heretical question I know, but what is the QCS actually for?

The same role as any other combat squadron, they're operational as number 63 Sqn RAF Regiment and perform tours of duty overseas. They just happen to also have a ceremonial role when at home.

You might as well ask the same question of the Guards Regiments.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
3rd Jul 2015, 13:55
Per Ardua!

Duncs:ok:

Shack37
3rd Jul 2015, 14:12
Quote:
An heretical question I know, but what is the QCS actually for?
The same role as any other combat squadron, they're operational as number 63 Sqn RAF Regiment and perform tours of duty overseas. They just happen to also have a ceremonial role when at home.

Well done Laarbruch72 on a very civil response to a trollish question.
I´m sure Bismark will be back soon to say thank you:rolleyes:

The Oberon
3rd Jul 2015, 14:21
Just for info, the UK armed forces have always maintained a premier drill display team. Prior to QCS it was King's Squad Royal Marines, saw them several times at The Royal Tournament as a nipper, annual birthday treat.

Tankertrashnav
3rd Jul 2015, 15:53
TTH - no I didnt know that, and I rather wish I had been able to retain my "mudgards", although being an ex rock and tankertrash might have got me a double dose of flack!

It was only at last year's V Force reunion that a nav who I had known off and on since 1971, who had retired after commanding RAF Marham told me he had also been in the regiment as a PO and had served in Egypt in the 50s.

(Quite like "directional consultant", btw. If I still had a CV it would go straight on it!)

Avtur
3rd Jul 2015, 15:54
QCS were "performing" at the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo in Halifax a few years ago and were bloody marvelous. Very best wishes to them all.

Al R
4th Jul 2015, 05:03
After a hard tour in the 80s, QCS appealed to me. A lot. I was told (by my FS and sqn WO - both ex QCS and both of whom would have looked sartorial in rotten sandbags) that I wasn't tall enough, was far too scruffy and lazy, but above all, I was ugly. I think there may have been one or two adjectives thrown in along the way for good measure. ".. do you fancy Hullavington instead?" they invited. I got the message.

Seeing QCS execute their task made me proud; but the entire tone sent a shiver through me. I watched it with a civilian who was unaware of my faded military connection and he simply said "wow". But it wasn't just about that.

When the repatriated were referred to as 'the fallen' by Downing Street, it forged the connection. We sent out a message that just as the public shared our pain and showed *us* respect in war and all its aftermath, so too, could we reciprocate. The families, seeing their loved ones treated with such dignity, care and reverence goes a long way to helping healing. We are public servants, paid by the public who serve at the behest of the public and in such an extraordinary occasion, we were simply looking after our own.

As an aside, this might interest some.

Half muffled quarter at Bermondsey for local undertaker | Docklands Ringers (http://www.docklandsringers.co.uk/2015/06/2903/)

Per Ardua.

Innominate
4th Jul 2015, 11:18
"Is the Queens Colour Sqdn now permanently a job for the Rock's?"

From The Queen's Colour Squadron - Ceremonial (http://www.raf.mod.uk/queenscoloursquadron/ceremonial/)
"The Royal Air Force had a ceremonial drill unit based at Royal Air Force Uxbridge in Middlesex, as early as the 1920s.

On the 1st of November 1960 the Royal Air Force Drill Unit, as it was then known, was re-named The Queen’s Colour Squadron of the Royal Air Force and since then has been manned exclusively by the officers and airmen of the Royal Air Force Regiment."

teeteringhead
4th Jul 2015, 13:38
TTH - no I didnt know that, and I rather wish I had been able to retain my "mudgards" Of course TTN, as I'm sure you do know, as a Retired Officer there are occasions when you may wear a No 1 or No 5.

Should you choose to do so, it would of be entirely appropriate that they conformed to current dress regs. :ok:

The rules are a little complicated, but are what the CG asked for.

A gunner or JNCO who remusters to another trade can only wear them as an airman or JNCO, so - for example - an ex-gunner loadie could not wear the mudguards as a SNCO - unless he's been an SNCO/WO in the Regt. So I guess we could have the anomaly whereby say a Cpl gunner remusters to another trade - he could wear the mudguards until he reached Sgt - when he would have to remove them! An ex-SNCO/WO Regt can wear them at any non-commissioned rank.

Similarly, only those who have (successfully!) completed JROC may wear the mudguards as an officer - of any branch. So a gunner - even an SNCO or WO - may not wear the mudguards as an officer in another branch.

But you can!

Wander00
4th Jul 2015, 16:28
You see, they will be on his PJs by tonight....................hat, coat......(again!)

diginagain
4th Jul 2015, 17:36
Well done, 63 Sqn. I remember when my brother was 2i/c of QCS watching him at the Tower when they were on PD in the 1980s.

Archimedes
4th Jul 2015, 18:07

Or of Balaklava Company (5 SCOTS) in Edinburgh, which also has a PD/State Ceremonial role.

ian16th
4th Jul 2015, 20:42
Innominate (http://www.pprune.org/members/397433-innominate)

On the 1st of November 1960 the Royal Air Force Drill Unit, as it was then known, was re-named The Queen’s Colour Squadron of the Royal Air Force and since then has been manned exclusively by the officers and airmen of the Royal Air Force Regiment."

Thanks for that.