PDA

View Full Version : Strike Syria, When will we learn?

Jayand
2nd Jul 2015, 17:45
Yes the terrorist atrocity in Tunisia was an outrage and terribly sad, but do we really need to be sending in air strikes to Syria in response?
Calls today in the house of commons from Defence Secretary for serious consideration of military strikes against IS in Syria!
To achieve what exactly?
It matters not where you strike or how much, they rise up elsewhere and plan again (how much planning does a guy with a gun need?) if indeed they were actually anything to do with this attack anyway.
First we were told it was Afghanistan that was the hotbed for terror, then Iraq, then Libya, now Syria.
Bombing all these countries, sacrificing young men and womens lives as well as countless civilians has not worked.
Time for a rethink and not a knee jerk reaction.:mad:

Pontius Navigator
2nd Jul 2015, 18:19
Jayand, hard to disagree, but what would you suggest?

Hangarshuffle
2nd Jul 2015, 18:27
Are we learning things anew, repeating mistakes?
Think you may well split opinion on Prune with this Jay. I tend to agree with you really.
Some of the commentators with the UK press seemed to suggest action (military attacks) but I don't sense any real enthusiasm for this in the papers or net chatter.
Cant see how airpower can harm such a rag tag disparate army as ISIS. All the usual routes of bombing, smart bombs and drone strikes haven't worked in the past. Its not a sophisticated army, but it uses dis-similar tactics to our own.
If you saturate bomb areas like the Israelis did in Gaza, against a know deadly foe, then it just generates fury and speeds recruitment even further, like kicking a wasps nest. Far in disproportion to the benefit gained. The Guardian newspaper came out today as against bombing because they think its counter-productive.
To me it is now a largely Arab question that only the Arab world, or the Muslim world can solve. What do they want to live under? What kind of flag?
Isis appear to be winning the war though, if it is a war. And I wouldn't start from here, as the Irish say.

ericsson16
2nd Jul 2015, 18:51
Hi all,
If this had happened on a Tel Aviv beach,do you think the
Israeli Air force would still be on the ground.This an absolute
embarrassment of a response from the UK.Well we don't have any heavy
bombers,so I guess we will have to settle for the total destruction of
an IS pickup truck using a $10million missile!
Another thing,why is IS attacking every country in the region,but has left alone the Jewish state.I shall tell you why,because they know what they would have coming,cheers,
Al.

charliegolf
2nd Jul 2015, 18:59
Hi all,
If this had happened on a Tel Aviv beach,do you think the
Israeli Air force would still be on the ground.This an absolute
embarrassment of a response from the UK.Well we don't have any heavy
bombers,so I guess we will have to settle for the total destruction of
an IS pickup truck using a $10million missile!
Another thing,why is IS attacking every country in the region,but has left alone the Jewish state.I shall tell you why,because they know what they would have coming,cheers,
Al.

Maybe Al. But instead of trucks- a good point....... All these murderers (let's not call them anything else) are seemingly reported as having trained in desert camps. How about looking (satellites, drones) for encampments springing up, and obliterating them? Or are they training their newbees in built up areas? Are there that many tented cities out there?

CG

Hangarshuffle
2nd Jul 2015, 19:00
Where's its HQ? Hit what, where? Whose its leader(s)? Where are they?
No one seems to know, this is never debated. We are a small island, we no longer have a large armed air force to respond with, that's the way the voters want it.
And we flail out at what. The guy threw his phone in the sea, they don't even know that much about him really.
And the public no longer believe the Armed Forces are the answer to this anyway because they have witnessed the failure of the last few years, they've realised the current reality before the politicians have.

Hangarshuffle
2nd Jul 2015, 19:08
We haven't got the capability to do it. Foreign wars cost the UK hundreds of millions of pounds that we cannot afford. For every bomb we seem to drop we seem to make matters worse, somewhere, and we seem to kick up a furious anthill when we do it.
They may retaliate in kind by killing hundreds of UK civilian holiday makers in one go, they have the capability to do this in the Med, right now. They are capable of infiltrating any large holiday camp, holding off the local police or army by firepower and could feasibly kill of hundreds our people - In Egypt, Turkey, Greece, Kenya, Tunisia, I wouldn't put it beyond their ability to strike Malta or even Gibraltar, Cyprus or Crete.
Tit for Tat wont work.

ericsson16
2nd Jul 2015, 19:10
They are all over Syria,Iraq,Libya ,to name but a few,"We are a small island"
Israel is a small nation! You want to kill the rats my friend,but you don't want to get into the sewer.

mopardave
2nd Jul 2015, 19:12
Don't waste another drop of british blood on these lunatics......here's an idea, how about defending our borders robustly.....oh, and if you go on holiday to Syria with your kids, good......stay there, don't come back to continue abusing this country's hospitality!
Alternatively, do the opposite......get our boys and girls to put their lives on the line....with one arm behind their back's, observing all the niceties and rules of engagement and generally fighting fair......and then if they survive, discard them and make 'em redundant!

Before anyone asks......no, I'm not a pacifist. I'm fiercely proud of our armed forces (my son was in the R.E.).

Rant over......I'll get my coat!:ugh:

Professor Plum
2nd Jul 2015, 19:15
Ericsson 16

The plumbing from the sewer doesn't lead directly to britains house.

What I mean to say is, we are not fighting against our neighbours.

6000PIC
2nd Jul 2015, 19:25
The West was " played " to achieve the Saudis goals regarding al Queda , and the Persian`s goals regarding Iraq , costing trillions in treasure and countless lives , it`s time to play both the Saudis and their Arab brethren as well as the Persians to get them to do our dirty work regarding ISIS. Where are the good CIA / MI6 operatives when you need them ? The West needs to support an all-out war between the Sunnis and the Shias before either one gets too strong , too entrenched and too aspirational. Let the Saudis and the Iranians fight it out.

Trim Stab
2nd Jul 2015, 19:29
Strike Syria, When will we learn?

When we learn that Israel is the problem...

air pig
2nd Jul 2015, 19:35
HS,

The Arab world will not deal with this, whilst they well equipped they still rely on contractors to make their armed forces work. Look at the Iraqi forces, trained by the US but broke and ran when they were opposed or the Saudi's a couple of years ago contracted attacks against Yemen to the Jordanian special forces. I suspect the Saudi MoD does not trust its own forces not to either rebel or break when opposed.

Mopardave,

Do we put our forces in the line against these murdering scum, we've done it too often in recent years and lost blood and treasure, now time for others to take up the slack. We are too small an armed forces to take on this task. Time for the Arab world to sort out its own murderous scum.

Ericsson 16,

I suspect the Israelis have put the word about, that if you even think of attacking us, you will be met with overwhelming force and regardless of liberal and UN condemnation continue to attack until the murderers are totally eradicated. Whatever you view about Israel, they don't believe in allowing their people to go unavenged if they are attacked.

ericsson16
2nd Jul 2015, 19:54
Airpig,Spot on my friend,
"I suspect the Israelis have put the word about, that if you even think of attacking us, you will be met with overwhelming force and regardless of liberal and UN condemnation continue to attack until the murderers are totally eradicated. Whatever you view about Israel, they don't believe in allowing their people to go unavenged if they are attacked."

mopardave
2nd Jul 2015, 20:42
air pig.......let's be clear about this. I for one do not want to see another repatriation of one of our fallen serviceman/woman........I do not want any more British families having to grieve of a loved one! For what? Let these scum rip each other to shreds.......dear god, they can't even find harmony among themselves......Sunni's v Shia's!

But hey......whatever we do, we must observe their human rights at all times!

Give me strength!!!!!!!:ugh:

mopardave
2nd Jul 2015, 20:45
and another thing.....is it me, or has the world become less stable since the Berlin wall came down?

just saying.

MD

ericsson16
2nd Jul 2015, 20:53
Trim Stab,Lets blame all the Arab Islamic problems on Israel.Lets see now.Libya,Arab killing Arab,Iraq,Sunni killing Shiite(Shia) and IS killing anybody that's not Sunni in Syria.Eygpt battling IS.Hezbollah battling IS.Saudi financing IS.Iran funding and backing Shiite(Shia) against Assad.
The list is end less.
When we learn that Israel is the problem....REALLY.

air pig
2nd Jul 2015, 21:02
Mopardave,

Totally agree, let theM slaughter each other, just don't involve the UK and don't bring it here. Secure the borders properly if necessary use the forces to do it.

And yes, the world has become less secure since the Wall fell. At least then there was a balance of power/terror with MAD.

mopardave
2nd Jul 2015, 21:25
air pig.........thank god for that! I thought it was just me with a simplified view of world events!
Mopardave,

Totally agree, let theM slaughter each other, just don't involve the UK and don't bring it here. Secure the borders properly if necessary use the forces to do it.

And yes, the world has become less secure since the Wall fell. At least then there was a balance of power/terror with MAD.

MD:ok:

skydiver69
2nd Jul 2015, 21:49
The Tories are touting a 'full spectrum response' whatever that means, but will only escalate our response if and when they know they will win a vote in parliament with a vote taking place in the Autumn. In the meantime what do they mean by 'full spectrum' and if the need is that urgent why wait until September for a vote? Lastly how will we pay for it when they keep squeezing the defence budget.

Green Guard
2nd Jul 2015, 21:50
So far ISIS never harmed Israel. Why ?
They are scared ? Really ?
Then why they send their wounded comrades to Israel hospitals to get well and come back ?
Because Israel is scared of them ?!!.... or is it something else entirely ?

Courtney Mil
2nd Jul 2015, 22:41
Congratulations on being a part of the thread that must be nominated for the 2015 PPRuNe Aphorism Award. 21 posts that would make Daily Mail readers proud. :ugh: