PDA

View Full Version : Helipad close to Edinburgh

Thierry37
2nd Jul 2015, 15:03
Flying R22 from France to tour UK 3-15 August, I'm looking for a landing place for 3 nights (8-10) close to Edinburgh: I suppose the airport would be very costly.
Thank you for help
Thierry

powerlimited
2nd Jul 2015, 21:26
Hi,

Try Prestonfield House hotel......

Luxury five star boutique hotel Edinburgh, Scotland - Prestonfield House Hotel (http://www.prestonfield.com/)

Enjoy!

CharlieOneSix
2nd Jul 2015, 22:55
The Fringe - the Edinburgh Festival - is on from 7-31 August this year. If you need hotel rooms and haven't booked them already you will probably find there is limited availability.

love flying
3rd Jul 2015, 07:31
Helipaddy lists 9 landing sites all within 5 miles of the centre. I myself landed at the Toby Jug Carvery in the car park, to the amusement of the punters there.

RINKER
4th Jul 2015, 14:45
Be aware that Prestonfield is surrounded by houses and a Golf course
ie congested area. I have seen singles land there often but legally I'm not convinced

R.

Coffin Dodger
5th Jul 2015, 12:23
Dalhousie Castle Hotel has its own helipad. 20 minutes from Edinburgh by car or taxi.

Dalhousie Castle Hotel & Aqueous Spa | (http://dalhousiecastle.co.uk/)

powerlimited
5th Jul 2015, 17:49
Can't say I agree RINKER.

Houses to the south, yes, but if the golfers are warned and kept off the course, is that been used "substantially" for recreational purposes (i.e. would you endanger them?!).

Horses for courses.

RINKER
7th Jul 2015, 21:52
Power limited.
I'm sure when I did my lowly Pplh that a golf course was considered a congested area. Happy to be proved wrong of course. Good luck telling the golfers to stay out of the way.
I used to Sfh out of Edinburg airport and we were told by chief pilot not to
Land there for reasons given.

R

bvgs
9th Jul 2015, 20:37
Was that Frank, Rinker?

RINKER
9th Jul 2015, 21:28
Bvgs
Yep
Hi btw.

R

bvgs
9th Jul 2015, 22:33
Been in and out of there a few times, not the best eh?

RINKER
10th Jul 2015, 05:16
Hi Bvgs
I've never flown in myself. But I am familiar with it from the ground as the golf course and hotel were old customers of mine from my old company. Surrounded
By tall trees if I recall.
Take care.

Rinker

Martin Barclay
10th Jul 2015, 11:58
Might be worth considering Cumbernauld Airport which has good transport links to both Edinburgh and Glasgow, fuel and is outside the control zones for easy access.

Got the Westerwood Hotel handy as well which is a reasonable standard.

Have a great trip.

bvgs
10th Jul 2015, 15:27
It's a definite HOGE so not on my current machine unless I stop eating the pies!!!