PDA

View Full Version : Big wooden ****ehawk

StopStart
2nd Jul 2015, 09:36
I saw this advertised on a local community website (Cheltenham/Gloucester area) and, recognising it as probably being off an RAF badge, snapped it up for £30. The seller got it from his parents and said it had been in his family for just over 40 years. He remembers it being painted gold at one point and the back of the thing has evidence of gold paint on it. He has no family connection with the RAF.

It clearly was part of a large RAF badge at some point as evidenced by the grooves on the back where it was attached to the circular part of the badge but I can't think where such a large badge would've been situated. I might drop the RAF Museum a line with the same query but in the meantime does anyone have any ideas where it might've come from?

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k512/stickybloke/IMG_2773.jpg

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k512/stickybloke/50fdfa6a-c9c1-4be2-b375-43f17aa89469.jpg

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k512/stickybloke/Royal_Airforce_Badge.png

No idea what I'm going to do with it mind. Perhaps mount it on the front of the car, Boss Hogg stylee.

StopStart
2nd Jul 2015, 10:07
Actually, having looked at a few more pics online I'm wondering if its maybe off an RCAF badge...? Splayed wingtips.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k512/stickybloke/icnp2015-apr-rcaf-orig-badge.jpg

NutLoose
2nd Jul 2015, 10:12
Splayed claws and head not projecting past the wings, i'd agree, Canadian.

BEagle
2nd Jul 2015, 10:15
I'd agree with the RCAF bird - wings, tail feathers, beak and shoulders all look correct.

How will you attach it to your Calibra though ;) ??

NutLoose
2nd Jul 2015, 10:57
It should hide the Vauxhall badge

StopStart
2nd Jul 2015, 11:03
Ah the mighty Calibra.... 'Twas nearly 20 years ago now. God I'm getting old...

Have emailed the Canadian Aor Force museum for their opinion. Was there a big Canadian base in Glos/Wilts during WWII?

Hangarshuffle
2nd Jul 2015, 18:35
What kind of wood is it? Looks like cherry wood? Loads of wooden eagles on google but none like that. You've got yourself a pretty unique bargain there.

Wander00
2nd Jul 2015, 19:55
Looks absolutely brilliant

Trim Stab
2nd Jul 2015, 20:10
Err - is the description "****ehawk" some reverse RAF ironic humour that I have never previously encountered, or is it another sad example of PPRune "ironic humour" (e.g. Land Rover consistently "corrected" to "Trabant"?).

Tankertrashnav
2nd Jul 2015, 20:29
The RAF eagle was/is frequently irreverently called a "****ehawk", probably originally referring to the kites (avian variety!) which were seen all over Egypt and the Middle East when the RAF had a presence in the region. You may often hear it argued that it is an albatross, probably from some association with the RAF's predecessor the RNAS, but it is quite definitely an eagle, as the College of Heralds will confirm!

Great find StopStart - and what a bargain!

smujsmith
2nd Jul 2015, 21:42
Here's where they flew from Stopstart, I'm sure a little research will bring forward the Gloucestershire bases. Best of luck but like others, I reckon it's more Canadian "****ehawk" than RAF bird. As TTN says, great find;

Canadian Air Force United Kingdom operating locations England 1939-45;

RAF Acklington
RAF Andover
RAF Ashford
RAF Baginton
RAF Balderton
RAF Bassingbourn
RAF Beaulieu
RAF Biggin Hill
RAF Bircham Newton
RAF Blakehill Farm
RAF Bournemouth
RAF Bradwell Bay
RAF Burn
RAF Castle Camps
RAF Catterick
RAF Charmy Down
RAF Chivenor
RAF Coleby Grange
RAF Colerne
RAF Croft
RAF Croydon
RAF Dalton
RAF Davidstow Moor
RAF Debden
RAF Digby
RAF Dishforth
RAF Docking
RAF Down Ampney
RAF Driffield
RAF Dunsfold
RAF East Moor
RAF Eastchurch
RAF Exeter
RAF Ford
RAF Friston
RAF Funtington
RAF Gatwick
RAF Gransden Lodge
RAF Gravesend
RAF Hartford Bridge
RAF Harrowbeer
RAF Halton
RAF Hawkinge
RAF Headcorn
RAF High Post
RAF Holmsley South
RAF Hornchurch
RAF Horne
RAF Hunsdon
RAF Hurn
RAF Kenley
RAF Lashenden
RAF Leeming
RAF Lindholme
RAF Linton-on-Ouse
RAF Lympne
RAF Manston
RAF Martlesham Heath
RAF Merston
RAF Middle Wallop
RAF Middleton St. George
RAF Mildenhall
RAF Molesworth
RAF North Coates
RAF North Luffenham
RAF North Weald
RAF Odiham
RAF Old Sarum
RAF Penshurst
RAF Perranporth
RAF Pocklington
RAF Portreath
RAF Predannack
RAF Redhill
RAF Scorton
RAF Skipton-on-Swale
RAF Southend
RAF St Eval
RAF Staplehurst
RAF Strubby
RAF Syerston
RAF Tangmere
RAF Topcliffe
RAF Tempsford
RAF Ternhill
RAF Tholthorpe
RAF Thorney Island
RAF Trebulzue
RAF Waddington
RAF Warmwood
RAF Wellingore
RAF West Malling
RAF Westhampnett
RAF Weston Zoyland
RAF Winkleigh
RAF Wittering
RAF Wombleton
RAF Woodchurch
RAF Zeals

Smudge :ok:

BEagle
2nd Jul 2015, 21:59
That's just the Wikipedia list and has little relevance....

ShyTorque
2nd Jul 2015, 22:07
Err - is the description "****ehawk" some reverse RAF ironic humour that I have never previously encountered, or is it another sad example of PPRuNe "ironic humour" (e.g. Land Rover consistently "corrected" to "Trabant"?).

How dare you! :mad:

:)

Union Jack
2nd Jul 2015, 22:34
Err - is the description "****ehawk" some reverse RAF ironic humour that I have never previously encountered, or is it another sad example of PPRuNe "ironic humour" (e.g. Land Rover consistently "corrected" to "Trabant"?). - Trim Stab

It may very well be, but it is also the latter day adoption of a generic expression used by the Royal Navy since time immemorial to describe any seabird sighted - even when its precise variety is known!:confused: - as well as by the Army, allegedly in relation to experience with marauding kites in the days of the Raj.

Jack

Danny42C
3rd Jul 2015, 04:34
StopStart,

In our little Nissen hut at Valley in '50 we had an old two-blade propellor over the anteroom mantelpiece as an ornament - I have seen the same in other messes. This may well have been carved by some wartime Canadian (or American, for their "bald eagle" looks much the same bird) for that purpose.

****ehawks are everywhere in India; they are a menace in the air, but are esteemed (and, I believe, were protected by law in the days of the Raj) for their hygienic value as scavengers of dead animals (and humans, on the Parsee "Towers of Silence").

They have unlovely table manners, always starting at the anus as the best bit. :* Almost certainly they got the name from the British troops out there on that account.

Danny42C

Wander00
3rd Jul 2015, 07:16
ISTR that propeller over the "fireplace" in the new OM at valley in 66

Tankertrashnav
3rd Jul 2015, 08:47
That's just the Wikipedia list and has little relevance...

Beagle, if you have better info you can always correct it by signing up as a moderator on the site. I noticed an ommission in RAF Feltwell's entry and signed up just so I could correct it. The ease of doing this is probably the main reason that some of Wiki's entries are not entirely reliable!

Hempy
3rd Jul 2015, 09:10
As an aside, Wikipedia has been proven more accurate than Encyclopaedia Brittanica.

Just sayin'

higthepig
3rd Jul 2015, 15:29
As an aside, Wikipedia has been proven more accurate than Encyclopaedia Brittanica.

and any RAF web page

Just sayin

Union Jack
3rd Jul 2015, 17:56
As an aside, Wikipedia has been proven more accurate than Encyclopaedia Brittanica. .

But what about the Encyclopaedia Britannica?:D

Jack

smujsmith
3rd Jul 2015, 20:33
Beagle,

I posted that list in an attempt to help stopstart identify some Gloucestershire bases used by the Canadians during WW2. I never proffered it as a definitive article, or claimed any veracity for it. It was simply a response to the query re RAF bases used by Canadian forces during WW2. I'm sure your vastly superior knowledge will eventually produce a far more expansive list. I only re emphasise the point that my post was intended as an aid to the OP in any research he might do, I see no reason for the "dig", apart from your obvious superiority complex. Get over it, we are both misters now.

BEagle
3rd Jul 2015, 21:33
smujsmith, take your cap off and stand at ease...

Had you filtered that cut and paste from Wikipedia to identify the 'Gloucs and Wilts' aerodromes, then researched them individually to suggest a possible location in response to StopStart's question, then that would have been fair enough. But you might as well have written "England".

Right, now cut along will you, there's a good chap.....;)

Union Jack
3rd Jul 2015, 21:39
Light the light blue touch paper and retire......:D

Jack

Danny42C
3rd Jul 2015, 21:45
Genlemen, Gentlemen, we're all friends here !

Danny

OmegaV6
3rd Jul 2015, 21:51
Beags .... regardless of what he could, or could not, have done .. his response was still far more practical, and useful, then yours .......but then again .. as an exceedingly good GE versus one of the two winged "master" (?) race that was always going to be the case .. practicality wins over theoretical posturing every time, now go and feed the horses .. there's a good chap .... :) :), we'll call on you when we need someone to steer an airframe ..... :)

Shack37
3rd Jul 2015, 22:08
Beags .... regardless of what he could, or could not, have
done .. his response was still far more practical, and useful, then yours .......but then again .. as an exceedingly good GE versus one of the two winged "master" (?) race that was always going to be the case .. practicality wins over theoretical posturing every time, now go and feed the horses .. there's a good chap .... :) :), we'll call on you when we need someone to steer an airframe ..... :)

:D:D:D:D
Fortunately not typical but he was V-Force you know:rolleyes:

Danny42C
3rd Jul 2015, 22:36
Least said, soonest mended !

BEagle
4th Jul 2015, 06:22
Self-parody is obviously lost on some.......:p

ShyTorque
4th Jul 2015, 06:26
Handbags at dawn, I'd say....

Wensleydale
4th Jul 2015, 08:00
I suppose we could always ask the additional question..."And were there any bases in Gloucester and Wilts that had aircrew who stole a carved wooden eagle from a Canadian base anywhere in the world to use as a trophy in their crew room"?

Hempy
4th Jul 2015, 08:18
or,

"How many bases in Gloucester and Wilts had aircrew who stole a carved wooden eagle from a Canadian base anywhere in the world to use as a trophy in their crew room"?

Dougie M
4th Jul 2015, 10:36
The RCAF was amalgamated in 1968 so the ****ehawk could as easily been liberated as a "trophy" by an RAF detachment to Canada to accompany ships' name plates and army field guns that adorn crew rooms here in the U.K.
I remember kidnapping the Chinth, a temple lion and badge of 435 Sqn RCAF in the 70s from their base in Namao. It was returned on a Cross Check Exercise with its progeny, a Thinch from an encounter with one of our badge animals.

Danny42C
4th Jul 2015, 20:48
Dougie M,

Three years in India/Burma '42 -'45, knew the Chinth well enough (it gave its name to Orde Wingate's "Chindits"), but the Thinch ?

What was that ? And where was Namao ? And what are Cross Check Exercises ? :confused:

Danny

Dougie M
5th Jul 2015, 07:16
Danny
This won't find the origin of the ****ehawk which is definitely Canadian. The Tac C130 Squadrons at Lyneham had exchange Airdrop exercises with their opposite numbers in North America. LXX visited the U.S.A. on Ex Long Link either to Little Rock or Dyess. 47 had a more( IMO) enjoyable time in Canada on Ex Cross Check with either 435 at Namao, Edmonton or with 436 at Trenton. The Eagle Eyeballs Airdrop Competition trophy ( a stomach churning "bouquet" of prosthetic eyes on a plinth) was inconsequential to the ritual hostage taking of artefacts to be held for ransome. 47 still has a massive carved wooden elephant that might belong to 436.

Danny42C
5th Jul 2015, 16:23
Dougie M,

Our Moderators (bless 'em) allow us enormous latitude on this Thread (which is part of its charm, and the reason for its enduring success). We drift to and fro.

Seems I was on the wrong continent, but "namao" did sound SE Asia-ish, and a large wooden elephant does sound as if it might have come from there. After all,they are not indigenous to N. America AFAIK !

Danny.

NutLoose
5th Jul 2015, 17:49
I bet the Canadian air attaché would love that hanging on the wall behind his desk.

Whenurhappy
5th Jul 2015, 17:58
Canadian air attaché

Perhaps the Canadian Air Advisor...as far as I am aware, Canada hasn't left the Commonwealth, yet.

Danny42C
5th Jul 2015, 18:37
Whatever our Canadian friend is called, it shouldn't take long for any halfway decent wood carver to knock out a copy if he wanted one.

In Oberammergau, they'd do you one in a morning !

D.

smujsmith
5th Jul 2015, 19:26
Perhaps Danny has hit the nail on the head, and its possible that the subject of the thread could be a modern construct, and have no real historical value ? I hope not, it's an attractive piece of work, and hopefully an authentic momento of our Canadian cousins. I am attracted to Dougie Ms suggestion of a "trophy", liberated during an exchange visit. The story behind it would be well worthy of reading.

I apologise for any previous unpleasantness in my posts on this thread, I only say that having grown up, I have passed any pretensions of former rank or "superiority" over fellow servicemen. Perhaps others should consider such an attitude, before trying to belittle those who merely try to offer help.

thing
5th Jul 2015, 20:04
I only say that having grown up

Don't ever do that Smuj. Been there, didn't like it.

octavian
5th Jul 2015, 21:03
Oh c'mon chaps. We all know that boys don't grow up; the toys just get more expensive. Mind you, I think that the OP's purchase was a real bargain.

RequestPidgeons
5th Jul 2015, 21:11
Before you go too far down a rabbit hole, the RNZAF crest for a comparison.

http://www.reocities.com/pentagon/8199/Crest.JPG http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k512/stickybloke/icnp2015-apr-rcaf-orig-badge.jpg
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k512/stickybloke/IMG_2773.jpg

I would agree, definitly not RAF (nor RAAF). I had difficulty locating the crests of other Air Forces that could have a similar eagle (S Africa, Rhodesia, etc) that may have flown from the UK during WW2.

RP

Danny42C
5th Jul 2015, 22:06
Perhaps we're all in our second childhood ? :*

D.

(This is supposed to tag on to thing's #40 - Keep up, Danny !