PDA

View Full Version : Nervous about Initial class one

RMC
1st Jul 2015, 08:41
Hi,

This may sound trivial but please bear with me as it is very important to me.

I am 17 and considering a career in aviation and have been advised to get a class one medical now so that if I fail
- I will not have wasted a lot of money/effort before finding out I cannot fly (am considering the modular route)

- I will still be able to go to university next year without loosing time

My big worry is that I get very nervous (short of breath etc) talking to people I have never met and wondered how long any interview lasts.

Kind regards

James

highflyer40
1st Jul 2015, 09:43
There is no "interview" just your regular doctors check up.. Eye test, hearing test...

Edited to add

About the only scary aspect of the test (at least for me) is the hearing test... Have to admit to just pushing the button sometimes

RMC
1st Jul 2015, 12:17
Hi, Thanks.I heard that was the case for a renewal.....if it is definitely the case for an initial I will be so relieved!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Jul 2015, 15:43
Only time to worry is when the Doc pulls on his Marigolds... up to his elbow!

Seriously, I've been scared stiff of medics all my life but I got through my medicals with no problems. I'm sure you'll be fine.

gingernut
1st Jul 2015, 20:08
The test is a breeze, it rarely finds anything predictive in a 17 year old.

The test supposedly exists to protect the public, but in reality, it just keeps the "authorities" happy.

Recent events suggest it doesn't always get it right.

absilo
7th Jul 2015, 02:22
I'm 27 going for my initial class one, i'm nervous! I think at 17 you have very little to be concerned about :)

gingernut
9th Jul 2015, 20:09
27 is the new 17

Speedbird1997
9th Jul 2015, 20:16
Got my initial class 1 booked, going down in a few weeks. What can expect that will be different from the class 2?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Jul 2015, 09:00
Should be no problems..... unless you smoke, drink heavily or are grossly overweight. Then, even if you pass, expect a lecture from the quack.

HookEcho
10th Jul 2015, 12:32
Go see your regular doc and have the same tests done before the C1.

Radgirl
10th Jul 2015, 18:53
Even if a busy general practitioner were prepared to spend the time doing so, the question is....

WHY?????

mikedreamer787
10th Jul 2015, 21:09
Well son at 17 you haven't got a problem except for your raging hormones which thank the Fates won't be looked at in depth. But just in case see your regular quack before fronting the AME one.

And no fooling around the night before with the GF neither. Same goes for you absilo. :=

27 is the new 17

No, 27 is exactly the same as 17 except you're much fussier.