PDA

View Full Version : Hour building in the USA with intent of further training under EASA

DJEGREENWOOD
1st Jul 2015, 02:47
Hey fellow pilots, I'm a student pilot with a Jaa ppl (a) achieved in the UK I'm now training for instrument and hour building in the USA once completed I'll move to Spain and complete CPL, JOC & MCC. My question is can I hour build with a EASA student if we only log the individual hours we fly for example, we take a plane for 5 hrs one of us flys for 2 the other 3 but we are both in the same plane am I/we breaking any EASA RULES!!!!!

Please help as the school has told us that we have to be alone when we hour build but the FAA Students are allowed to fly together and they can log the hours in either seat (I know they're allowed under FAA rules, one is supposed to be under the hood, and the second logs hours sic as safety pilot)

Thank you to any one that responds in advance
David

Pete O'Tewbe
1st Jul 2015, 05:17
Do you hold a FAA licence?

PURPLE PITOT
1st Jul 2015, 08:58
What you can log , and what will be counted for licence/rating issue can be 2 separate things. If you have an FAA licence as well, you could log like the FAA guys, but those hours would not be counted against EASA requirements for licence issue.

DJEGREENWOOD
1st Jul 2015, 13:07
Do you hold a FAA licence?

I have a faa ppl licence that was issued after a verification of my UK ppl was verified!

Thanks david

DJEGREENWOOD
1st Jul 2015, 13:13
What you can log , and what will be counted for licence/rating issue can be 2 separate things. If you have an FAA licence as well, you could log like the FAA guys, but those hours would not be counted against EASA requirements for licence issue.

Thanks for your message, I do have a second log book which I'm keeping a record for exactly what you described above! Do you know if I can have a passenger or a student in the plane whilst I hour build as the school is saying it needs to be done solo for EASA requirements which I think is incorrect and can't find anything from the CAA that confirms what they are saying???

Many thanks for replying

David

Pete O'Tewbe
1st Jul 2015, 13:21
I don't understand:

the school has told us that we have to be alone when we hour build

If you have a FAA Airman's Certificate, this, subject to a few other caveats, qualifies you to fly N-registered aeroplanes with passengers on board, and for the purposes of FCL.050, that's what your buddy is, a passenger.

Your school is free to impose any restrictions it likes, but I cannot see a problem from an FAA licensing point-of-view.

felixflyer
1st Jul 2015, 13:29
I don't understand either. You are talking about logging as PIC whilst the other pilot is just a passenger. The fact that one of your passengers is a pilot has no bearing on what you log.

There were FAA guys logging IFR pic and safety pilot time and that may be where the confusion comes in. If it's VFR and you are not logging the same hours then I don't see where the problem is.

By the way the hour building portion is there for a reason not just an obstacle to get over in the quickest and cheapest way. It is there to turn you from raw PPL to an aircraft commander. Do as much varied flying as you can and push yourself to expand your comfort zone and abilities.

Drilling holes in clear skies as quickly as possible is not what it is about.