PDA

View Full Version : Qr or AA

Rock320
23rd Jun 2015, 14:08
Hi guys. Need to ask a question.. what is a better option, Qr first officer or Air Arabia Captain? with 3 young kids..

Need answers plz

Airmann
24th Jun 2015, 13:22
Hi guys. Need to ask a question.. what is a better option, Qr first officer or Air Arabia Captain? with 3 young kids..

Need answers plz

You will fly a lot more in aa. 85-90 hours a month. And a lo of nights.

320 flying is pretty relaxed at QR, around 50-60hrs/month with a guarenteed 5 days off per month, and you can bid to fly mostly morning turn arounds and be home for lunch in order to be with the kids more, lots of guys on 320 do this, you can essentially make it a sun-Thu, 9-5 job. QR also has the new company savings scheme that will give you a bigger payout than AA.

Then you will expect to go wide body after 2-3 years or command in QR.

The big issue is Doha. In Arabia you are in Sharjah/Dubai which is a much better place to live. Other than that QR has Arabia beat on almost every other front.

In your case if you can get the left seat at Arabia it might be a better bet to go there directly and get a good picture of the region while you build up time to apply for DEC at a place like QR or EY.

casablanca
24th Jun 2015, 13:51
Does Air Arabia pay for school, housing?
Qr offers 13000 per month housing allowance or company housing and 125000 per year towards schooling

Rock320
25th Jun 2015, 08:09
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply Airman..does Ey hire u after working at AA? And if u turn down an offer at Qr, do they hire u again after a few years??
Casablanca, I think they do give u an education and accomodation allowance but don't know how much.

Enos
25th Jun 2015, 14:35
Hi Rock

They won't always be young kids, they'll grow up to be expensive kids.

If you are moving to the ME with kids take the job with the best package it might not be the one with the biggest salary.

Qatar have a diverse fleet, and fly all over the world, not to knock Air Arabia, have only 320s as far as I know and may not fly to you home country.

Having a couple of three years back in the right seats not always a bad thing, especially if its for a big company.

If you have half a mind to live in Dubai and drive across to SHJ, you'll wish you hadn't when you get stuck in the traffic getting trough Sharjah.

Good luck

Thats my 6 cents worth, let the bashings begin::ugh:

Enos
25th Jun 2015, 14:43
Hi Rock

They won't always be young kids, they'll grow up to be expensive kids.

If you are moving to the ME with kids take the job with the best package it might not be the one with the biggest salary.

Qatar have a diverse fleet, and fly all over the world, not to knock Air Arabia, have only 320s as far as I know and may not fly to you home country.

Having a couple of three years back in the right seats not always a bad thing, especially if its for a big company.

If you have half a mind to live in Dubai and drive across to SHJ, you'll wish you hadn't when you get stuck in the traffic getting trough Sharjah.

Good luck

Thats my 6 cents worth, let the bashings begin::ugh:

Rock320
25th Jun 2015, 15:31
i agree Enos ..thanks for the help.
But is it actually 3years in the right seat and then upgrade? And do u find a decent villa for a family of 5for 13k?

Spoogie
25th Jun 2015, 18:47
Rock...If you get command - TAKE IT!

My reasons for choosing AA. - You can live in Dubai and drive to work (I did it for almost 4 years). Yes there is traffic but you know the route to take based on your check in time. 311 or 611. Doable.

AA has changed since I left (so I have been told) but the people are way more personal and nicer than you will get at QR(so I have been told). This means you "may" be able to get better flexibility than QR.

Yes, there are night flights but AA does fly in the day so that doesn't mean you will only fly at night for your time there. If you go QR on the 320 as a new hire FO, do you really think you will only fly days? A320 is the workhorse to India and MENA. Believe me pal the senior guys will want to sleep in their bed.

Qr has just increased their requirements for Upgrading FO's. If you already qualify you may need to do at least 3 years there to be considered.

You will build PIC time at AA, which means you will be more marketable in the long run and guess what QR may even hire you as DEC 330 in less than 3 years if you decide that you made the wrong decision later on.

If you also decide that you want to leave after some time, there is no agreement which stops you from going to EK/EY/FZ/QR unlike if you were at QR trying to leave. This is obviously if you have honoured the minimum time stated in your contract.

Happy wife - Happy LIFE!! I think your wife will be way happier in the UAE (my opinion)

More schools to choose for your kids. Guys I know complain bitterly about school placements for Doha. (don't blame the messenger - so I have been told)

More CASH!! you will more than likely take home more cash in your hand at AA as a Captain. Yes there is a savings scheme now at QR, but you can find secure companies like Zurich insurance that offer sound investment opportunities and with the help of your advisor - you could manage this yourself off shore which will be none Sharia. ( look that up)

This is aviation save as much cash as you can as quick as you can for yourself and those kids. As stated, the kids will only get more expensive. Our job is only as secure as our next medical.:ugh:

lfbb
25th Jun 2015, 20:09
Captain all the way! Specially captain on 320 where you'll be able to get a new job easily if anything goes wrong. Qr is a great company for DEC or FOs looking for command upgrade. Sure QR has a MUCH better package than AA, but I think it is too risky to join QR as a FO counting you will get upgraded, that might never come if you get involve on any of the many situations where you can get a caution letter for example, specially if you join o 320 fleet where it is more likely for things to go wrong. And finally, you will for sure enjoy way more your job sitting on the left than on the right.... To me is a no brain situation, but good luck!

7Q Off
26th Jun 2015, 05:26
From the profesional point of view, Captain allways. If you find UAE not your place in the world as captain you have better chances to find other job.

nitrowired
26th Jun 2015, 08:33
My 5 cents are:
Take a job on the left above anything else. Even if the package might not be as great(that is for you to decide) most of the companies take only DEC if on the last position you held you were flying as PIC. So if you go to QR as Fo, you might not find a job later on as Captain despite having previous PIC hours.
I am in my 8th year in ABY and have always been living in Dubai. Traffic is manageable and after a while you dont care as much. It takes me around 35-40 min from where i live to the airport. On certain days and particular times up to an hour and a half but that rarely happens and now with google maps you can check which would you take before. AA does pay housing and school allowances but old contract are different from the new ones so you have to check exatly whats on offer.
I do fly the full 900 hr a year for the last 7 years and half of those are at night, but i see my kids every day and no layovers to keep family life going. Its certainly not a job for every one. But overhe years i see my coleagues more as a family as i know almost everyones life story by now.
Plus there has been cases when a Captain left to QR as DEC so you can come for a year or to and then see whats out there, EY QR and maybe EK.
Good luck

Supersonic2000
26th Jun 2015, 15:19
Hello everyone,

Does anybody have an idea if AA is hiring or is planning to hire NTR FOs?

Than you in advance!

J.L.Seagull
26th Jun 2015, 15:42
SS2000,

Short answer: NO!

They have dozens (!) of MPL cadets coming thru the system from Alpha Aviation (also owned by them).

If anything, there's a surplus of F/O's. But, experienced Captains are in short supply .

Rock320
27th Jun 2015, 11:28
Thanks a lot for the advice guys..just one last question..
if u have offer from Qr and u turn it down, will they hire u again after a few years??

lfbb
27th Jun 2015, 11:41
Things change so quick in QR that if the answer to your question is a Yes today might be a No next week.... Impossible to plan anything when it comes to QR, trying to plan your future based on internal rules they change or put out every single week will just drive you mad. Latest example of that are the new minimums required for command upgrade, beneficial for some but terrible for others specially for the ex military FOs.
Once again good luck!

joker737
27th Jun 2015, 12:32
Can someone enlighten us to the new minimums on upgrade requirements?