PDA

View Full Version : Finally following my dream and need some advice

andythepandy
23rd Jun 2015, 12:58
Hey there guys and gals as the title suggest I am finally following my dream of becoming a commercial pilot and need some pointers and advice (I know this question has been asked a million times and it will be asked a millions times again, so apologies).

A quick summary. When I was younger I wanted to become a pilot and even did 60 hours of flying when I was younger and on my way to get my PPL but due to some unforeseen circumstances I couldn't continue it and couldn't go to flying school. I then went to uni and did something completely unrelated and got a job afterwards. I actually glad it didn't work out as I have matured and grown up a hell of a lot and actually learnt some things.

Anyway now I've got the bug again after doing a trial flying lesson and I want to become a pilot. Before anyone deters me I know about the debt, the momentous amount of work and studying and even the uncertainty of not having a job at the end of it but to be quite honest I feel as if I was born to fly, its my passion.

I have booked an open day at Oxford and after that I'm going to book some aptitude tests to try and get into the schools. I have an idea of what I need to revise etc but if you guys could just dump any and all useful links, books or dvds to me I would appreciate it. One thing I would like to know is what common group activities do you usually get asked to do and what questions come up in the interview. Also is there anything I can do to wow the staff a little bit more to secure a position.

hazholmes
24th Jun 2015, 13:43
Just google pilot aptitude tests etc and you will get a plethora of links of things to do.

When you apply for assessment the school will give you a list of things they will test you on, theres no magic formula so just get revising. Having been to oaa recently I'd say there's nothing in particular you can revise for in the group exercise. I dont think I wowwed anyone on my interview but was just honest about my aspirations. If you do anything intersting besides getting up for work, try mention that too!

andythepandy
9th Jul 2015, 07:50
Cheers dude I've not applied to CTC and Oxford and will apply to Jerez soon too. I've got a few maths texts books and dvds etc so I'll be revising before and after work every day and hopefully yin a couple of months I'll be able to take my aptitude test and pass! Then just comes the problem of getting the finance.