PDA

View Full Version : VC10....on the road this Sunday.

Krystal n chips
20th Jun 2015, 16:13
For all the VC10 devotees on here...

Browsing through a discarded semi local rag on Stafford station and read an article which said the VC10, albeit sadly now dismembered, will be on the move this Sunday to Cosford...via the M69 / M6 / M54 at a steady 40mph. Departing around 07.00 and due to arrive around midday.

Apparently, it will arrive via Shifnal, which, I recall, has an "interesting" junction near the railway bridge and then a rather twisty lane to Cosford...that may prove entertaining to watch.

Anyway, if you are on any of the roads above, you will at least be aware of the cause of any congestion.

Tiger_mate
20th Jun 2015, 18:26
There is a weight limit on Neechley Lane (back roads from Shifnal) and therefore the intent must be to pass through Shifnal onto the Wolverhampton Road and enter the airfield via the South West crash gate. I hope the reconstruction concludes with an eye pleasing airframe.

Exascot
20th Jun 2015, 18:35
Do we know which airframe?

sharpend
20th Jun 2015, 19:07
I't BOB, XR808

Jhieminga
21st Jun 2015, 13:58
There are some images from the move on its own Facebook page here (no login needed): https://www.facebook.com/XR808
Also interesting to scroll back and see how carefully this airframe has been taken apart. No cutting involved apart from one or two small bits!

Exascot
21st Jun 2015, 14:42
Thanks Sharpend (hope all is OK with you)

This is great news. Now we need to get a fund together for a re-paint into the shiny ten colour scheme not the horrible drab grey. I would give a considerable donation.

NutLoose
21st Jun 2015, 14:44
Or one side :)

Exascot
21st Jun 2015, 15:09
NL if so port side. I don't know if you were my era and involved in Royal/VIP preps but I always insisted on the port side being particuarly immaculate for the TV on arrival on the red carpet. For years we used tyre paint from Halfords then we got an new OC Eng who said that it was a fire hazzard - to$$ er. So is avtur but we used that. I seem to remember that I lost that particular argument but the guys still got the tyres pretty shiny somehow.

Krystal n chips
21st Jun 2015, 15:13
Here's a few more c/o the Beeb...

VC10 in six-hour trip to RAF Museum Cosford - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-33215901)

ICM
21st Jun 2015, 15:47
XR 808 was, of course, the first VC10 C1 delivered to 10 Squadron on 8 July 1966. By 1988, when the Squadron was presented with its second Standard by Mrs Thatcher, the then Prime Minister, the fleet had flown for some 21/22 years of the 25 years required for that award. A new, third Standard was presented by HRH The Princess Royal in January this year, in the context of the Squadron's Centenary. So, quite by chance, as 808 (or at least its fuselage) was being taken to Cosford for reconstruction and permanent display, that second Standard was laid-up as part of this morning's Service at St Clement Dane's Church, the RAF Church, in London. It was handed over for safe keeping "until such time as it shall turn to dust" by current CO, Wg Cdr Jamie Osborne, with a contingent from both the Squadron and RAF Brize Norton, together with members of the Squadron Association, in the congregation. Another quietly memorable day for 'Shiny Ten' in this, its Centenary year.

Exascot
21st Jun 2015, 16:09
ICM Are you saying that 808 was the flypast aircraft for Mrs T? Were you the nav? My log books are in Bots. I was RHS. DR was the Capt and it was a bit of a dash from our hold over Hungerford when the CO failed to keep the great lady on schedule. Apparently very impressive from the ground when we came across the parade ground at 320 kts on full power :ok:

NutLoose
21st Jun 2015, 18:01
I used to do the Royals, my last job in the mob was a Royal, port side would be best side as has the VC holders name by the door, trouble is the door is now the chute. Our boss was in charge of a VIP prep I was on and just before it departed one of the golf balls that hid the latches for storing the overhead racks fell off, unable to do anything about it I bodge taped it on, it fell off again hitting Maggie on the head on departure.

The one "Royal" that everyone hated was to bring the body of the Dutchess of Windsor " home " as she kept recovering, so A/C were prepped then she would recover, so it was used , and then another had to be readied when she relapsed.

ICM
21st Jun 2015, 18:04
Ex-A: No, no suggestion that 808 was the flypast aircraft that day, and I've no way of knowing which one was. I was simply reflecting on the happy coincidence that as one symbol of an era (essentially VC10, but with a bit of Victor B1) was laid to rest, another (the first of the fleet) was being taken north to be resuscitated.

And no, I wasn't Nav that day either, though I was amongst the audience for the flypast - I don't recall there being anything amiss with it at all!

Like you, I'd be delighted to see the original paint scheme restored but I've a feeling that would be a tad on the costly side.

NutLoose
21st Jun 2015, 18:10
I remember Maggie going to Washington on a VC10, they had problems so gagged an engine and came back as a Trident, however more problems meant she landed as a BAe 1-11, after that we couldn't gag them with SLF on board.

Jhieminga
21st Jun 2015, 21:17
...port side would be best side as has the VC holders name by the door, trouble is the door is now the chute.
Not on the C1Ks. The chutes were only installed on the later K2/K3/K4 tanker conversions. The LH door on Bob is fully functional and with a bit of luck will have the proper VC scroll(s) next to it again.

BEagle
22nd Jun 2015, 05:41
Jhieminga, the 'million pound dustbin' crew escape chute was only fitted to the VC10K2 and VC10K3; it was not fitted to the VC10K4.

Rwy in Sight
22nd Jun 2015, 05:44
No British citizen here, but if it is not a national secret, what is a Standard as in " second Standard " mentioned by ICM?

Thanks in advance.

Rwy in Sight

India Four Two
22nd Jun 2015, 06:24
Rwy in Sight,

It's a "flag" like this one:
http://tinyurl.com/p4sl7jmhttp://tinyurl.com/p4sl7jm
http://tinyurl.com/p6h7wdq

Sorry, I couldn't find a picture of "Shiny 10's" standard. This is the standard of 26 Squadron RAF Regiment.

newt
22nd Jun 2015, 07:07
I was at Brunty on Saturday (playing with Lightnings) when she started her journey! She looked to be in great shape! Lots of rumours about this exercise costing a million pounds and that the RAF would not land it at Cosford because the runway is too short! Anyone involved like to give us a heads up on this exercise?:ok:

NutLoose
22nd Jun 2015, 07:40
There is probably a million reasons why no one will say...

Thanks re the door, I was having a brain dump...

Exascot
22nd Jun 2015, 08:22
ICM We came across at an angle instead of head on as we didn't have time to line up. I will be back in Bots in a month and will check logs books for the aircraft. I will also post the photo from the ground showing the slight deviation from track.

RIS My dear chap, I am going to have to give you a bit of military speak training over a beer.

Rwy in Sight
22nd Jun 2015, 08:30
Exascot,

Looking forward to it.

I 4 2, thanks for the pic and the explanation. I would refer to the talk mentioned above, to understand why more flags are involved.

Rwy in Sight

joy ride
22nd Jun 2015, 08:33
Article, photos and video here:

Monster VC10 makes its way through the streets of Midlands « Express & Star (http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2015/06/21/monster-vc10-makes-its-through-the-streets-of-shifnal/vc1oplane15ae21/)

India Four Two
22nd Jun 2015, 10:11
Rwy in Sight,

A Squadron Standard is awarded for 25 years of service. After a further 25 years, the old one is "laid up" and replaced by a new one.

See here for information about Standards:
St Clement Danes - Queens Colours and Standards (http://www.raf.mod.uk/stclementdanes/history/queenscoloursandstandards.cfm)

Oldsarbouy
22nd Jun 2015, 10:45
Well done to Gary Spoors and all the team at GJD at Bruntingthorpe for a fantastic and painstaking job in taking 808 apart and moving her to Cosford. I hope it features in a Monster Move episode in the future. :D

NutLoose
22nd Jun 2015, 11:23
Made harder by the fact the RAF disposed of the tooling to take it apart after the last flight, so they had to manufacture it. :ugh:

Jhieminga
22nd Jun 2015, 11:35
Beagle, thanks for setting me straight on the K4/dustbin issue. I guess my clarification muddied the waters again there. I wasn't sure about the K4... One should never assume....(wanders off kicking himself...)

NutLoose
22nd Jun 2015, 20:32
Some cracking pictures of her arriving and passing under the bridge

Heads up VC10 moves from Brunty to Cosford on sunday (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?135358-Heads-up-VC10-moves-from-Brunty-to-Cosford-on-sunday)

Jhieminga
22nd Jun 2015, 23:11
I've also added some photos to this page, as well as a bit of a story about Bob and some more details of her service life: C/n 828 - XR808 (http://www.vc10.net/Airframes/cn_828__XR808.html)

O-P
23rd Jun 2015, 00:03
I've got to ask, and I expect some flak for this, but where did BOB break down en-route to Cosford?