PDA

View Full Version : Worldwide S-92 travels

SpringHeeledJack
18th Jun 2015, 18:50
I was enticed to look above me today as an S-92 of an Arab Emirate clattered in to land. Intrigued, I looked it up and it would appear that it gets about a bit. My question is, how would it get to all these different locales around the globe ? Is it flown long distances in advance to be ready when required, or flown courtesy of a large Antonov as and when ? Thanks for any replies.

krypton_john
18th Jun 2015, 20:38
It would have to be transported.

Obama's Marine One follows Air Force One around the world in a C-5 or C-17.

212man
18th Jun 2015, 21:32
I think they have more than one.....

Um... lifting...
19th Jun 2015, 05:52
Undoubtedly. I believe there are about two dozen white-tops assigned to HMX-1 for HOS transport, both VH-3s and VH-60s, along with the other support machines. And then there are the USAF resources, which are entirely separate. The U.S. President's logistical tail must be seen to be believed.

Whether the machine is stuffed in a freighter or ferried under its own power probably depends upon a number of factors like overall distance traveled, availability of other airframes and other near-simultaneous transport requirements.

Cost is probably way down the list for both.

SpringHeeledJack
19th Jun 2015, 06:37
Thanks for the replies. I'm aware that the US has an unbelievable support system for their president's travel, but my curiosity is more about the aircraft in the OP, where there aren't many backups available and by internet evidence :8 it appears to get around a bit. No doubt with a personalised VVIP interior for the principal, otherwise local VIP choppers would suffice.

KiwiNedNZ
19th Jun 2015, 08:54
Not aware of any S92s being operated by VIP flights in the UAE but Qatar have a couple.

I know the AW139s from a certain VIP operator in the sandpit ferry from UAE to Europe at the start of their european season and then fly back again afterwards. Would assume the S92s go the same way.