PDA

View Full Version : Pilot with a stutter.

dazdaz1
17th Jun 2015, 13:46
Hope this is the right forum. If a pilot during/pre medical had a stutter (ATPL) would it affect the medical results?

Farrell
18th Jun 2015, 06:10
Pilots with stammers/stutters? [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-35851.html)

Farrell
18th Jun 2015, 06:12
Stuttering is Cool podcast - Interview with a pilot (http://www.stutteringiscool.com/podcast/interview-with-a-pilot/)

dazdaz1
18th Jun 2015, 14:39
Thank you for your replies.

blind pew
18th Jun 2015, 19:33
Had a course mate who was up for the chop at the same time as moi...had a mid air, gave a word perfect mayday and got into a dodgy field without causing any further damage...still flying 44 years on after a successful career with a legacy carrier..
Developed a bad stutter myself much later after an accident..eventually disappeared but didn't affect my personal flying although I lost my class 1.
Good luck

hunterboy
19th Jun 2015, 07:59
I fly with a stutter/stammer. I found that knowing exactly what you are going to say before saying and "glossing over' the letter you are going to stutter on works for me. After a while it becomes second nature. I find most people understand me. Personally, I turn my side tone down so I can't really hear my self speak works for me too.

ShyTorque
19th Jun 2015, 12:26
An RAF ex-colleague of mine, with a renowned stutter, went on an Army exchange posting. Sympathetic as ever, they put him on a flight with the callsign "Foxtrot Four Four.

Blocked up the airwaves for ages.... :E

Pace
20th Jun 2015, 06:17
You only have to fly over the London area where the workload for controllers is so high and it is almost impossible to jump in with your first call to realise that stuttering would be a no no.

There is also a risk of misunderstanding the reply and confusion between ATC and the stuttering pilot.

There are many threads on colour blindness yet stuttering has a larger scope for a mistake

Pace

Bergerie1
20th Jun 2015, 14:01
When I started flying, I remember a few trips with an old captain (at least he seemed old to me then) who stuttered very badly. The funny thing was that when things became 'interesting' his stutter disappeared! He was a nice old boy.

750XL
20th Jun 2015, 14:24
I know a captain who stutters heavily when speaking to you face to face or on the PA to pax, but is absolutely fine on the radio to ATC :eek: