PDA

View Full Version : Best at Cosford air show? Not what I thought!

FireAxe
15th Jun 2015, 21:02
Well I took my 2 girls to the RAF Cosford air show on Sunday after raving about the Vulcan to them for weeks, last season, awe inspiring, cold war warrior etc.....
So to the day-
'Is that the Vulcan dad?'
'No that's the typhoon'
'Is that the Vulcan?'
'No that's an F18 hornet'
You get the picture, this goes on for a while.
When the Vulcan does appear, imagine an excited high pitched voice-
'Girls, GIRLS, look, there's the VULCAN!!!'
Girls look underwhelmed as it appears to just be a bigger jet than the others.
For each display they seemed more interested in the sweet stall, funfair rides, chatting about minecraft. Not even the sheer awesomeness of the finest aircraft ever (IMHO, and I'll fight anyone who disagrees) the TSR2.
Then the Reds came over and after 27 years in the RAF I had gotten quite used to them.
But-
The place stopped, yes everyone paused to watch even more than the Vulcan, they loved it and there was a definite something special feeling running through the crowd. As I have always watched from the sidelines I hadn't realised how much the public enjoy the display which I had considered routine.
My girls stopped, went very quiet and then very excited.
It was the best part of their day, and they want to go back next year.
Amazed!!!!!
So after all that it was the Reds they loved, the next day I was able to thank one of them which, being SH I would obviously never have previously done.

Thank you Reds, you are worth every penny.

Now, where did I put that TSR2 to the Sky banner!!!!!!

Tankertrashnav
15th Jun 2015, 22:04
On the Queen's Birthday Flypast thread I floated the idea that they might as well bin the rest of the flypasts on these occasions, which lets face it are usually pretty underwhelming and just have the Reds, which 99% of the public love.

Nobody bit on that thread, but your girls backed up my thoughts! Anyone agree?

Wander00
15th Jun 2015, 22:28
A week ago I was at the Tours Air Show - very much a French "do" and Centenary of that base - the Reds got a standing ovation at the end and each pass and formation change got a round of applause - the "heart" especially so - I was very, very proud to be a Brit and to be part of the RAF "family", especially as around 25 years ago I was a Trustee of the Red Arrows Trust for six years

goudie
16th Jun 2015, 05:02
Anyone agree? Yes I do TTN. The crowds around Buckingham Palace have their eyes on the Balcony, not the sky. The Red Arrows fly past just hits the spot in rounding off the event. Less is more!

kintyred
16th Jun 2015, 08:02
Many moons ago the Reds used to start their show with a manoeuvre called 'Piccadilly Circus' in which they arrived at low level from all points of the compass and formed into a diamond 9 in a vertical climb. It was by far their best manoeuvre and made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I've often thought how appropriate it would be for a Buck House flypast and how many more citizens would get to see at least one Red on the day. Come on Red Leader, let's see it back for 2016!

teeteringhead
16th Jun 2015, 08:58
Have to say the Reds were indeed a pleasant surprise - thought I too had got blase about them, but they could still make an old (not bold!) pilot gasp.

Don't think Piccadilly Circus will ever come back - even the Reds can't fly over the crowds at low level any more. Elfan Safety dontcherknow! :(

Other impressive sights - not in any particular order.........

Spitfire and Typhoon. :ok:

The Vulcan - because it';s probably the last time I'll see it (her?) fly. :(:(

Gp Capt Vorderman in her No 1! :E Might even knock Section Officer Maggie Harvey into Silver Medal position (when in FULL uniform that is!)

Not_a_boffin
16th Jun 2015, 09:44
Gp Capt Vorderman in her No 1! :E Might even knock Section Officer Maggie Harvey into Silver Medal position (when in FULL uniform that is!)

Never, ever happen.

Fluffy Bunny
16th Jun 2015, 10:31
Full uniform...... Or just correctly dressed? ;) :ok:

Junglydaz
16th Jun 2015, 11:24
As my wife said, there is nothing more quintessentially British than the Red Arrows flying over Buckingham Palace being waved at by the Royal Family.

In my opinion, people attend Yeovilton Air Day for two things, the Reds and the Jungly Assault. And why not?

Hangarshuffle
16th Jun 2015, 11:26
Bin 'em. Too costly and the money could and should be better spent on real practical defence requirements of which these pages speak verily.
But I concede like the changing of the guard at London and all the royals wearing military fancy dress on the balcony it continues a tradition and gives an impression of solidity and continuity. HS.

Nige321
16th Jun 2015, 11:43
Bin 'em. Too costly and the money could and should be better spent on real practical defence requirements of which these pages speak verily.
But I concede like the changing of the guard at London and all the royals wearing military fancy dress on the balcony it continues a tradition and gives an impression of solidity and continuity. HS.

HS you strike me as one of those people who knows the cost of everything and the value of absolutely nothing...:ugh:

goudie
16th Jun 2015, 11:54
Poor old HS. I imagine his glass is always half empty

Wander00
16th Jun 2015, 11:58
If the French can enthusiastically appreciate The Reds, then the team is worth EVERY penny.

GeeRam
16th Jun 2015, 12:01
HS you strike me as one of those people who knows the cost of everything and the value of absolutely nothing

Must be an accountant :E

dfv8
16th Jun 2015, 12:13
.....and formation change got a round of applause - the "heart" especially so

You may be interested to know that The Reds copied this manoeuvre after it was demonstrated by the Patrouille de France at Alconbury in 1990.

ancientaviator62
16th Jun 2015, 12:29
I have related elsewhere the storty about taking our ex ALAT Super Cub to the French Air Force display at Cambrai. The only display that caused the VIPs to put down their champers and watch was that by the RAFG Harrier.
You could see hands applauding but the sound was only of the mighty Pegasus . Shame we will not see the like again this side of the pond.

MATELO
16th Jun 2015, 12:52
I get my own Reds fly past every September without fail.

My house is on the run in for the Tyne Bridge fly past, over the Great North Runners.

I tell my good lady they use the church next door to our house as the IP. ;)

TorqueOfTheDevil
16th Jun 2015, 13:37
Other impressive sights

Two serviceable yellow Sea Kings in one place at the same time (not airborne simultaneously, admittedly)...a sight few people will see again.

The trouble with the Vulcan at Cosford is that you don't get the take-off experience...still very impressive to see, but from past airshows, the take-off into a nearly-wingover really gets people's attention like nothing else.

Next year: no yellow aircraft with roundels and no grey and green ones either :{:{:{

goudie
16th Jun 2015, 14:59
you don't get the take-off experience

When 617 took a detachment of 4 Vulcans to Nellis in '59, the pilots took great delight, during take-off, in carrying out a near vertical climb before disappearing into the blue yonder. The Hustler bomber was flying there at the time and as was often said, take off was courtesy of the earth's curvature!
The cousins were not amused!

Wander00
16th Jun 2015, 15:59
dfv8 - but as I explained (in my then halting French) to a French family at the same show a few years ago, "The heart is for the young ladies whose birthday it is today, but whilst Patrouille de France fly the manoeuvre with 8 aeroplanes, the Fleches Rouge de Grand Bretagne use neuf avions

The Oberon
16th Jun 2015, 16:16
Not that long ago I saw the Vulcan finish a display by climbing out at 75 - 80 degs. with a half roll at the top before levelling out inverted, this was followed by another half roll and fly away the right way up.

SPIT
16th Jun 2015, 16:36
Now that the Vulcan is doing it's last season why don't they try to get Just Jane (the Lanc) flying ?? That would certainly draw the crowds. :ok::ok:
if it flew with the BBMF .

Valiantone
16th Jun 2015, 16:42
The eventual plan is to get JJ flying....I suspect its all down to the magic M word and getting the parts and so on

V1

aerobelly
16th Jun 2015, 19:42
Now, where did I put that TSR2 to the Sky banner!!!!!!

Where do we send our money?

Agree about the Reds though. I thought they'd been overtaken, particularly by the Patrouille de France, until I saw them at the Marshall's do not too long ago. [Wipes tear from eye] Last outing for my Olympus OM4, super camera.

'b

ancientaviator62
17th Jun 2015, 06:55
I have been asked what our ex ALAT Cub looked like in her 'warpaint' so at the risk of the dreaded accusation of thread drift here she is.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m19/ancientaviator62/BILLINGCUBJ_zpsbbee344d.jpg (http://s100.photobucket.com/user/ancientaviator62/media/BILLINGCUBJ_zpsbbee344d.jpg.html)

Fortissimo
17th Jun 2015, 13:18
Wander00, it seems HS thinks the Fleches Rouge have already used a neuf aircraft.

Hat, coat...

sunnybunny
17th Jun 2015, 16:59
I was at Cosford as well, having seen a Vulcan there many years ago thought it was time to do it again. Last time and all that as I told my son.

Thought the F16 and Hornet were superb, Vulcan was OK and agree a take off would have been better.

Typhoon excellent but the lunatic in the Chinook stole the show.

Thing that spoiled it for me was the 300yd queue to get on a train to come home. They knew how many rail tickets were sold so why didn't they lay on extra trains or extra carriages at least. We were lucky and only had to wait 45 minutes, the next train after ours wasn't for an hour.

sandiego89
17th Jun 2015, 17:53
Fireaxe, I offer that your experience also happens on this side of the pond as well.

As a long serving military member and frequenet air show attendee, I share your thoughts as I am a bit jaded by the Blue Angles and the Thuderbirds, and actually take that time to check out the static displays as the crowds are lighter, or head to the car to beat the crowds.

But for a unique aircraft I still get excited. Recent one that got my attention was the QF-4 Phantom as I had not seen an F-4 fly for years.

But I also find the general crowd loves the "main act".

Goes to show eveyone has their tastes.

Mrs.Sandiego89 thinks all those planes look the same :(

Low Level Pilot
18th Jun 2015, 18:31
"even the Reds can't fly over the crowds at low level any more. Elfan Safety dontcherknow"

Aren't they one of only two teams that are allowed to overfly the crowd?
The usual arrival is (or was) from behind the crowd line

sunnybunny
18th Jun 2015, 18:53
IIRC the reds arrived over the crowds heads from the North direction.

The blades display also had a commentator who said they were the only ones allowed to fly over/towards crowds. It was later on in the day TBH

mmitch
19th Jun 2015, 10:45
The Reds began their display from crowd rear at Biggin on Saturday.
It was a flat and rolling display too.
mmitch.

teeteringhead
19th Jun 2015, 20:05
The Reds began their display from crowd rear at Biggin on Saturday. I am very pleased to be wrong!

Some common sense in a world of hi-viz waistcoats,:ok:

India Four Two
20th Jun 2015, 14:18
But for a unique aircraft I still get excited

sd89,
I agree. The last F-4 I saw was an ANG aircraft performing over downtown Houston on July 4th, 2000. The slow pass with BLC turned on was magical.

The Reds began their display from crowd rear at Biggin on Saturday.

I am old enough to remember when the Firebirds used to do the same thing. Nine Lightnings arriving overhead at Mach 0.9 plus a bit was stunning.:ok: