PDA

View Full Version : EK Eyesight limits

TeabagRA
12th Jun 2015, 08:58
My uncorrect vision is -5.75 diopters, but perfect with glasses/contacts and all healthy. Never had any problems with my JAA/EASA Class 1.

Would this be acceptable for EK?

TeabagRA

EDIT: I have googled CAAP 19 but it doesn't seem particularly helpful

TineeTim
12th Jun 2015, 11:59
I believe the only thing currently non-negotiable at EK is a pulse. All applicants are absolutely required to have a pulse. Everything else is open to negotiation:E:E

VLS with ice
12th Jun 2015, 12:58
Being blind, deaf and mute would actually be a bonus.

The Outlaw
12th Jun 2015, 17:23
...and dumb

MrMachfivepointfive
12th Jun 2015, 18:36
Don't forget the BMI!

The Range
12th Jun 2015, 20:15
If you're looking into going to work at EK I think you have a serious vision problem.

Praise Jebus
12th Jun 2015, 21:19
Teabag to the best of my knowledge as long as your corrected vision is ok then you will be fine. Medical issued with restriction for vision correction. Might help to read the contract without the specs however....

NGFellow
13th Jun 2015, 03:57
UAE CAR Part II chapter 5

5.4.3 Visual Requirements
The medical examination shall be based on the following requirements:
5.4.3.1 The function of the eyes and their adnexa shall be normal. There shall be no active
pathological condition, acute or chronic, nor any sequelae of surgery or trauma of the eyes or
their adnexa likely to reduce proper visual function to an extent that would interfere with the safe
exercise of the applicant’s licence and rating privileges.
5.4.3.2 Distant visual acuity with or without correction shall be 6/9 or better in each eye separately
and binocular visual acuity shall be 6/6 or better. No limits apply to uncorrected visual acuity.
Where this standard of visual acuity can be obtained only with correcting lenses the applicant may
be assessed as fit provided that;
a) such correcting lenses are worn during the exercise of the privileges of the licence or rating
applied for or held;
Issue: 02 Page 13 of 32 Issue date: February 2015
Revision: 00 Revision date: February 2015
b) in addition, a pair of suitable correcting spectacles is kept readily available during the exercise
of the privileges of the applicant’s licence.
5.4.3.2.1 Applicants may use contact lenses to meet this requirement provided that:
a) the lenses are monofocal and non-tinted;
b) the lenses are well tolerated; and
c) a pair of suitable correcting spectacles is kept readily available during the exercise of the
licence privileges.
Note. Applicants who use contact lenses may not need to have their uncorrected visual
acuity measured at each re-examination provided the history of their contact lens prescription
is known.
5.4.3.2.2 Applicants with a large refractive error shall use contact lenses or high index spectacle lenses.
5.4.3.2.3 Applicants whose uncorrected distant visual acuity in either eye is worse than 6/60 shall be
required to provide a full ophthalmic report prior to initial Medical Assessment and every five
years thereafter.
5.4.3.3 Applicants who have undergone surgery affecting the refractive status of the eye shall be
assessed as unfit unless they are free from those sequelae, which are likely to interfere with the
safe exercise of their licence and rating privileges.
5.4.3.4 The applicant shall have the ability to read, while wearing the correcting lenses, if any, required
by paragraph 5.4.3.2, the N5 chart or its equivalent at a distance selected by that applicant in the
range of 30 to 50 centimetres (12 to 20 inches) and the ability to read the N14 chart or its
equivalent at a distance of 100 centimetres (40 inches). If this requirement is met only by the use
of near correction, the applicant may be assessed as fit provided that this near correction is
added to the spectacle correction already prescribed in accordance with paragraph 5.4.3.2; if no
such correction is prescribed, a pair of spectacles for near use shall be kept readily available during
the exercise of the privileges of the licence.
Note: An applicant who needs near correction to meet this requirement will require “look- over”,
bifocal or perhaps multifocal lenses in order to read the instruments and a chart or manual held in
the hand, and also to make use of distant vision, through the windscreen, without removing the
lenses. Single-vision near correction (full lenses of one power only, appropriate for reading)
significantly reduces distant visual acuity and is therefore not acceptable.
5.4.3.4.1 When near correction is required in accordance with this paragraph, a second pair of nearcorrection
spectacles shall be kept available for immediate use.
5.4.3.5 The applicant shall be required to have normal fields of vision.
5.4.3.6 The applicant shall be required to have normal binocular function.
5.4.3.6.1 Reduced stereopsis, abnormal convergence not interfering with near vision, and ocular
misalignment where the fusional reserves are sufficient to prevent asthenopia and diplopia need
Issue: 02 Page 14 of 32 Issue date: February 2015
Revision: 00 Revision date: February 2015
not be disqualifying

lospilotos
14th Jun 2015, 02:13
I believe the only thing currently non-negotiable at EK is a pulse. All applicants are absolutely required to have a pulse. Everything else is open to negotiation:E:E

Actually, the company is looking into a variation of this....

ekwhistleblower
14th Jun 2015, 04:45
With apologies to Teabag, this gets my vote for comedy thread of the year👍