PDA

View Full Version : ASR west of Ireland, 9/10 June 1990

Sepp
11th Jun 2015, 21:38
Just over 25 years ago, a crew from Brawdy (I believe) plucked my brother and his mate out of the oggin west of Ireland, after their yacht struck a submerged object during the two-handed Trans-Atlantic race. iirc, it was quite a way out into the Pond, and the aircraft had to refuel in the ROI before heading out to them.

I'd like to thank that crew, and the Nimrod crew(s?) who kept the yacht company during the poor weather before the extraction was deemed viable - and I sincerely hope that the new-fangled civvy incarnation of the service manages to do as good a job.

As an aside, it made an interesting distraction from the fun of my initial IR, which was slated for the next day.

Thank you, all.

Sepp

Al-bert
11th Jun 2015, 23:53
Hi Sepp, 20th June 1990 myself and crew picked up two pers from yacht Sprint, 250nm west of Bantry. Could that be the one you're referring to? :ok:

Sepp
12th Jun 2015, 10:41
Yes, it was Sprint :) I remember being pulled into the CFIs office to be told of their trouble, but the time it took to get them out has obviously blurred over the intervening years... thanks once again!

Could you PM me your name? I'm sure my brother would like to know.

Tester78
12th Jun 2015, 20:45
The name 'Sprint' rang a bell, and my memory must be better than I thought because my logbook shows that I captained the Nimrod...

An 8-hour sortie and it seems that we refuelled at St Mawgan before returning to Kinloss.

Memories may have merged with other incidents, but the following points seem to apply:

There had been a Sea King and Nimrod call-out to 'Sprint' the day before(?), but this was aborted almost at the point of rescue because the yacht crew decided to remain on board after all... Things changed overnight and we were called out the next day.

Before being rescued, your brother and mate asked (through us on the Nimrod) if the SK crew would allow them to each bring a small rucksack of personal belongings on the winch. Whoever answered from the SK asked us to check whether those belongings might include a Decca Navigator, as he wanted one for HIS yacht...

Was the yacht salvaged by a passing bulk carrier? Or was that another incident...

T78

Tester78
12th Jun 2015, 20:49
Oh, and respect to you 'bert. I did a few of those long-haul 'top cover' trips, and your big yellow SKs always looked very small and vulnerable 200 miles from the nearest land...

:D

Saintsman
12th Jun 2015, 21:27
Someone posts a relatively obscure event from 25 years ago and within a matter of hours, two people who were involved comment on it.

I find that amazing, but such is the power of the internet. I hope it brings back fond memories to all concerned.

I spent a few years on both Wessex and Sea King SAR. They were really good times. You never knew what was round the corner and everyone really appreciated what we did.

Hope it's as good for those providing the service today.

glad rag
12th Jun 2015, 22:37
Awesome thread :D:D:D:D:D

Sepp
12th Jun 2015, 23:30
Tester 78, you are right - including the rucksack bit :) Apparently one of 'em was a tad heavy on the way up ;) Al-bert has been kind enough to give me his name, may I have yours also?

Al-bert - apparently Special Branch pulled a jape on the Winchman? Means nothing to me, but perhaps you could enlighten me...

Yacht was eventually found adrift and salvaged - but oddly, no wiggly-amp stuff aboard.

Again - my thanks to all involved; my bro asks that I pass on his very best wishes to you all, also.

John C

Al-bert
13th Jun 2015, 00:33
Before being rescued, your brother and mate asked (through us on the Nimrod) if the SK crew would allow them to each bring a small rucksack of personal belongings on the winch. Whoever answered from the SK asked us to check whether those belongings might include a Decca Navigator, as he wanted one for HIS yacht...

those two 'small rucksacks' became the largest Head Bags any of us had ever seen - and as the only yacht owner on my crew I might have enquired as to the availability of a 'written off' decca; which sadly wasn't forthcoming!

As for top cover, 200 miles was quite a relief compared to our max range (280 ish) and the Nimrod was always a very welcome and comforting sight , especially at night, and you also saved a lot of searching on our part. I wonder what the present and future guys get to make them feel safe n snug?

BTW, I think it was on that return trip with the Nimrod just above the stall and our SK going b@lls out (125kt, we were almost in formation) that our RADOP announced "ere, that's my Cappy in the Nimrod, can I have the UHF for a minute?" and following a greeting call the laconic reply from the Nimrod went something like "is that P...S.....you can keep him" and at that point four RR Speys belched smoke and 'you' disappeared out of sight! He was quite hurt for a minute :{

Happy Days - and a big thank you T78 and ALL our Nimrod mates :ok:

Al-bert
13th Jun 2015, 00:36
apparently Special Branch pulled a jape on the Winchman? Means nothing to me, but perhaps you could enlighten me...

I'm afraid it means nothing to me either Sepp - sorry!

leopold bloom
13th Jun 2015, 20:37
Is that the same P.... S...... Of "To the head , dead ahead" fame? A whole new thread?

Al-bert
13th Jun 2015, 23:05
and 'ere, that mud's like liquid water' too Leopold - the very same! :ok: