PDA

View Full Version : Bell JetRanger down IOM

PENNINE BOY
6th Jun 2015, 09:24
Reports coming out of a Helicopter crash in the Isle of Man this morning.
Initial reports one person on board, crash near the 33rd milestone just off the TT mountain course.

nigelh
6th Jun 2015, 09:41
Cannot confirm but hear it may be G - RAMY from Humberside . Bad news

Ransman
6th Jun 2015, 09:44
Seems a Bell JetRanger has crashed in a valley near the 33rd milestone of the RT course on the Isle of Man. One person on board. Came down just after 09:00 BST, latest news Pilot, only person on board receiving medical attention. Lucky I guess that the TT is on, means rescue helicopters available to attend the scene.

Ransman
6th Jun 2015, 09:49
From IOM Today:
A helicopter crashed near the TT course this morning.

It happened just after 9am when a privately owned Bell Jet Ranger helicopter crashed in the valley near to the 33rd Milestone on the Mountain Road.

It is believed there was only one person on board the aircraft at the time.

Detective Inspector Steve Maddocks said: ‘We are currently with an incident involving a helicopter crashing into the valley just off the Mountain Road near the 33rd Milestone.

‘We, together with our colleagues from the fire service and air crash investigators are trying to establish the cause of the crash.

‘It is believed that one person, a man believed to be a non-island resident, is currently being dealt with by officers.

‘The aircraft has crashed into the fields and there were no other people, vehicles or properties involved.

‘As you can understand we are in the early stages of our investigation and once I am able to provide further details I will do so.

‘The Mountain Road is currently closed between Ramsey and the Creg ny Baa and will remain closed until further notice.’

Ronaldsway Radar
6th Jun 2015, 10:01
Hoping the pilot is ok.

sycamore
6th Jun 2015, 10:16
Strong winds and gusting forecasts for the area may be contributary....

lfc84
6th Jun 2015, 10:49
Helicopter Crash

Helicopter crash near the TT course - Isle of Man Today (http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/helicopter-crash-near-the-tt-course-1-7296842)

A helicopter crashed near the TT course this morning.

It happened just after 9am when a privately owned Bell Jet Ranger helicopter crashed in the valley near to the 33rd Milestone on the Mountain Road.

It is believed there was only one person on board the aircraft at the time.

Detective Inspector Steve Maddocks said: ‘We are currently with an incident involving a helicopter crashing into the valley just off the Mountain Road near the 33rd Milestone.

‘We, together with our colleagues from the fire service and air crash investigators are trying to establish the cause of the crash.

‘It is believed that one person, a man believed to be a non-island resident, is currently being dealt with by officers.

‘The aircraft has crashed into the fields and there were no other people, vehicles or properties involved.

‘As you can understand we are in the early stages of our investigation and once I am able to provide further details I will do so.

‘The Mountain Road is currently closed between Ramsey and the Creg ny Baa and will remain closed until further notice.’

Isle of Man Newspapers understands a farmer called emergency services after seeing the accident.

The Ancient Geek
6th Jun 2015, 11:02

So the pilot walked away, I call that a landing not a crash.
Probably a precautionary or forced landing.

claudia
6th Jun 2015, 11:22
AG ,If it was your helicopter and he returned it to you like that would you not think it had been crashed ?
Claudia.

BOBAKAT
6th Jun 2015, 11:42
All parts are very close.....not a crash...:D

lfc84
6th Jun 2015, 11:56
AAIB have tweeted that a investigation team is on the way

Cambrian man
6th Jun 2015, 12:06
I don't think there has been confirmation on the pilot's condition.

ShyTorque
6th Jun 2015, 12:17
There has been an RA(T) in place around the mountain circuit since 30th May.

Cambrian man
6th Jun 2015, 12:22
I believe the no fly zone only applies when the roads are closed for racing. The racing had been postponed until this afternoon due to high winds (gusting 60mph).

lfc84
6th Jun 2015, 12:42
Unfortunately you are incorrect

Sadly not

newfieboy
6th Jun 2015, 13:25
Originally from Lincs, I have a buddy from Louth 48 years old flies a Jetbox out of Humberside SFH. I know he went to the TT earlier this last week with two other people. Not sure if he flew over or took the boat. Anyone have a name PM me please. RIP

JTobias
6th Jun 2015, 14:28
I have the name, I'll PM you

helideck
6th Jun 2015, 15:15
can anyone confirm if this is G-RAMY from Humberside as I know people who fly this aircraft.

BOBAKAT
6th Jun 2015, 15:16
Very bad news...RIP

Harry O
6th Jun 2015, 15:32
RIP and condolences to family.

JTobias
6th Jun 2015, 16:03
I believe that it is G-RAMY with 1 x POB

7of9
6th Jun 2015, 18:38
RIP.

Isle of Man helicopter crash: Pilot killed in high winds after flying two passengers to TT Festival course - Mirror Online (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/isle-man-helicopter-crash-pilot-5835633)

helimutt
6th Jun 2015, 18:40
RIP. Very sad

Cows getting bigger
6th Jun 2015, 19:02
Complete tangent - interesting engine control input at 9:42 of SiloeSids video link

newfieboy
6th Jun 2015, 19:08
Very sad....thought it maybe someone I know, heard it wasn't through PM. Now hear it is someone I also knew from my days growing up in Louth. RIP mate.

nigelh
6th Jun 2015, 19:28
Helimut ... Really ?? !!
Very sad after a lot of us heard reports that he had walked away . It was very windy , probably 40 knots in the hills so possible 50kn gusts maybe over the tops . I don't know his hours or experience but low hrs plus teetering head then add high winds in the hills and you have dangerous mix . Not saying that is what happened here .... The tail section would give a good indication if there had been blade contact. RIP

Ronaldsway Radar
6th Jun 2015, 21:28
RIP. Very sad news.

The Ancient Geek
6th Jun 2015, 22:35
Unfortunately you are incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ancient Geek

Sadly not

In retrospect my comment is regrettable, it was made in the context of information published at the time which turns out to be incorrect.

RIP.

md 600 driver
7th Jun 2015, 07:19
Joel can you send me name also Steve
Am out of country at the mo

fly911
8th Jun 2015, 17:15
http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/media/images/83465000/png/_83465824_matthewchapmanhelicopter.png

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-33034542

Matthew Chapman
Matthew Chapman was the only person on board the privately-owned helicopter
A helicopter pilot has died in a crash on the Isle of Man during high winds.
Matthew Chapman, 48, from Louth, Lincolnshire, was the only person on board the privately-owned helicopter when it came down at about 09:00 BST.
He had dropped off two passengers shortly before the crash in the Baldwin Valley, near the 33rd Milestone, Isle of Man Constabulary said.
The annual TT motorbike racing festival was due to start this weekend but the opening race was delayed by the winds.
Police said the pilot of the Bell Jetranger aircraft suffered fatal injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.
His family have been informed, they said.
Insp Derek Flint said the "difficult incident" had presented "a number of challenges" as it occurred during the TT festival and during strong winds.
He said: "He has now been taken from the scene, which will now be preserved for the arrival of the inspectors from the Air Accidents Investigations Branch who should arrive later this evening.
"The scene will remain under guard and members of the public are asked to remain clear of the location at this sensitive time. The coroner for inquests has been informed."
The scene is cordoned off
The helicopter crashed in a valley near the 33rd Milestone just off Mountain Road
The six-lap Superbike event was due to be staged on Saturday but has been postponed until Sunday.
Mountain Road has been closed between Ramsey and Creg Ny Baa until further notice while the cause of the crash is being investigated by police, the Isle of Man Rescue Service and air crash investigators.

Michael Gee
9th Jun 2015, 14:32
Is it correct that many hide their Identity on this forum and yet they publish the picture of an unfortunate fellow pilot ?

helonorth
9th Jun 2015, 15:45
The picture was published three days ago by the BBC. I guess you need to scold them.

Senior Pilot
9th Jun 2015, 15:55
The photo and the article are directly linked from the BBC website. It is not something that isn't in the public domain, otherwise it would have been moderated accordingly.

Sir Niall Dementia
9th Jun 2015, 18:21
A bit like Cows Getting Bigger I was somewhat surprised at the FCL input in SilsoSid's video. I've flown plenty of 355's and I believe that one, I've flown one of the air ambulance aircraft on the TT event and the rally, but I've never seen or needed to make an FCL input like that straight after take-off, or land an aircraft with such a potentially vital role off a wing-over.

Bit strange.......

SND

STANDTO
9th Jun 2015, 21:39
i bet the paramedics on board get a surprise

Efirmovich
10th Jun 2015, 05:34
What, that the fuel leaver was not fully home ? :-))

E.

FLY 7
11th Jun 2015, 08:41
Not wishing to pre-judge the causes of the accident, but just trying to understand the scenario.

The above image suggests the helicopter departed approx NNW, with variable and gusty winds from roughly SW, and Creg-ny-Baa about 1,000ft higher than Ronaldsway Airport.

What are the wind limits on a B206 and what are the implications of exceeding them?

Also, would a fully articulated rotorhead be more tolerant of strong winds than a teetering rotorhead in such conditions?

Sir George Cayley
12th Jun 2015, 09:41
Do I read this right that he crashed after being airborne for 3 hours whilst transiting to Ronaldsway to refuel?

If so does that bring fuel onboard at the crash scene in to play?

SGC

helicopter-redeye
12th Jun 2015, 10:54
Range extender on that aircraft. 3.5hrs time.

Stud1
12th Jun 2015, 11:48
If you'd flown that airframe Cows Getting Bigger...you wouldn't have had to go off on a tangent on how to fly it...

PM me if you require an explanation

RVDT
13th Jun 2015, 20:14
If you'd flown that airframe Cows Getting Bigger...you wouldn't have had to go off on a tangent on how to fly it...

PM me if you require an explanation

It needs a PM to explain it?

Love to hear the story as it is rather unique behaviour.

How bad can it be?

SilsoeSid
12th Dec 2015, 17:19
Any update on this one?
Surprised that no video or revealing pics have surfaced yet.

FLY 7
6th Jul 2016, 17:16
https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aaib-investigation-to-bell-206b-jet-ranger-ii-g-ramy

Lonewolf_50
8th Jul 2016, 15:00
Thanks for the link. Sobering report. Been >30 years since I flew a Jet Ranger. I am trying to sort out whether or not the investigators felt that the gusty wind was the major contributor to the mast bump, or a maneuver directly preceding it all going wrong ... probably need to read it again over a coffee and do some back of the napkin sketching of the described behavior of the helicopter as reported by the witness.