PDA

View Full Version : CPL THEORY VS ATPL THEORY

adamlouis
6th Jun 2015, 00:35
For a FI(A) with a PPL one would need:
CPL Theory.
200 hours, where as 150 must be PIC
Medical 2

How is the CPL theory compared to the ATPL?
Is it less, simpler or about the same?

Transsonic2000
6th Jun 2015, 01:17
How is the CPL theory compared to the ATPL?
Is it less, simpler or about the same? Not much of a difference. If there is no medical issue preventing being issued a first class medical, I'd highly recommend going for the ATP exams!

There's been a similar thread in this regard, see link below:
http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/560880-cpl-atpl-later.html

paco
6th Jun 2015, 06:32
There is aboout a 40% difference in content and questions, and the CPL is of a lower academic standard, with 13 exams instead of 14. And because there are less questions your chances of not passing are increased, as each question counts for a higher percentage.

If you know you won't need the ATP in the future, then don't bother with it. if you are simply using the FI as a means of building hours, then consider it, but you will need to get the IR within 36 months. Also, if you get the CPL and the IR, then want to upgrade to the ATP, you will have to do the majority of the exams again because of the mismatch between syllabuses. In which case you may as well do the ATP in the beginning.

adamlouis
6th Jun 2015, 11:04
Thanks for the info!

Have many pilots had a career with just the PPL + FI(A)?

Transsonic2000
6th Jun 2015, 11:42
Have many pilots had a career with just the PPL + FI(A)?A career? Well, if you call flying part-time at a local flying club during the weekends a career, then yes. With a PPL you can not talk about a career, even if you hold a FI with it. As already mentioned before, if you're seriously thinking of a career in aviation, then don't waste your time (and money) with the CPL theory, since your options are quite limited as compared to the ATP ticket. Do some research, not only on the Internet, go out and visit some flightschools and talk to the peolpe there. And secondly, I've noticed you're quite young, meaning you'll never know what direction you might be heading to in the future and what opportunities might arise, which require you having the ATP (theory). Perhaps there might be the opportunity of piloting an A380? Life is full of surprises, you never know! Which I'm trying to say is, don't limit yourself at such an early stage in your life! If money is an issue, then I'd say wait a few years, safe some money and then go for it! Anyway good luck!

paco
6th Jun 2015, 12:13
There's always room foor good, dedicated instructors, and it could be a career if you choose. But it doesn't pay well, even if you get a good reputation, as everyone else is working for sandwiches :(

adamlouis
6th Jun 2015, 12:43
It seems like the pay instructors achieve vary quite a bit, mine had £50 an hour!

The only reason why I`m asking is to see what is possible with a medical class 2 compared to a class 1 :)

paco
6th Jun 2015, 16:19
It is certainly possible - and it would be a lot fairer to your students if you were keen on instructing rather than just building hours.

As I say, there is always room for good instructor, and those that get to the top have people coming from far and wide.

adamlouis
6th Jun 2015, 18:38
I agree with you.

And I know a few instructors who have had it as their single job for several years now, so it is absolutely possible if one wants!

I`m 20 years now and been flying for 5 years so this will hopefully be my first job in aviation!

adamlouis
6th Jun 2015, 18:41
And one does not really limit oneself with a CPL theory + FI(A), the ATPL theory is achievable with a full time course for 6 months, so it will absolutely be possible to do this on a later stage if I wish to do so.

paco
6th Jun 2015, 20:18
Good luck to you and your future students!

adamlouis
14th Jun 2015, 12:14
Does anybody here have any recommendation courses for the CPL theory only?

How is CATS aviation traning CPL-A Theory?

2close
16th Jun 2015, 23:27
I have met several business jet pilots over the years who started as FIs and were in the right place at the right time - you never know who is going to walk through the door.

I was even offered a job myself because I refused to take an aircraft I didn't consider safe for a trial lesson - much to the annoyance of the flying school. I didn't know that the woman's husband (in the back seat) was a senior pilot for a certain company - that One small decision which I stuck by could have been significantly life changing.

As said above, life is full of surprises!