PDA

View Full Version : Quality financial advisors in Abu Dhabi or UAE?

shiny_shoes
3rd Jun 2015, 07:51
I'm trying to find a decent financial advisor in Abu Dhabi. I have searched on Pprune and the last thread for the Middle East was 2014.

I'm currently with an investment company here and I'm starting to get a gut feeling, cant put my finger on exactly why but somethings just dont seem right! :hmm: So I would like to have a chat with an "IFA" (if they actually exist out here and arent just salesmen!!) with an option to move my stuff away from who I am with at the moment.

Any positive recommendations for someone used to dealing with UK expats. All the threads I have read all seem to say the same thing "stay away from Globaleye".

I was looking at Holburn Assets in Dubai from the recommendations in "The National". Any advice please?

Thanks in advance.

The Outlaw
3rd Jun 2015, 08:36
This is too good to pass up....

Here is my free advice:

1. Goto a quality bedding store. Buy a good quality pillow case with a high thread count, make sure you don't cheap out here...it important to get a quality high thread count pillow case.

2. Stuff same with cash. For example, if you intend to return to the UK (why I'll never know...but) stuff it with lovely Pound notes...I hear the Russian Ruble is all the rage for investors these days...anyway bigger is better.

3. When you leave UAE, don't forget to bring that quality high thread count pillow case stuffed with cash with you. If you should happen to forget the pillow case, then just PM me...I'll send it to you right away!

I also know a good guy in Nigeria who I've helped on occasion to get money out of his country (usually an inheritance from a long lost rich, childless uncle.) I generally get 20% of the total and all you have to do is provide all your banking details, pin numbers etc. It's generally safer than advice I've got from pilots and PPRUNE!

I'm probably the first to ever say this on PPRUNE but there is some evidence that any investments you make in this part of the world could disappear without a trace and with great difficulty retrieving it...just sayin'...I've heard rumours which of course is in keeping with this site!

shiny_shoes
3rd Jun 2015, 08:41
I know your guy in Nigeria, lovely fella, he also keeps telling me I have won the lottery or that my uncle has died and I have been left a load in the will. Are we related by any chance??

shiny_shoes
3rd Jun 2015, 09:05
Bank details, DoB, Nat Insurance details, pin code for my credit card have all been sent by PM. Thank you for you very kind offer of assistance. If you require anything please let me know!

;)

johnnyramjet
3rd Jun 2015, 12:01
I use Holborn and I am very happy with them. 10 yrs ago I started with deVere, never again. Good luck but be careful.

RemoveB4Flght
3rd Jun 2015, 13:21
Every few months one of my UAE colleagues will get swindled by one of these so called advisors who have expertise gained from literally months of experience selling financial products after brief failed stints in the personnel recruiting, real estate, or cabin crew industries. They always ask for numbers and contacts of friends, some will even bribe people working for your company to provide your information.

My first question is always "What is your net worth, and how much did you make last year?" If it's less than my numbers then I have no reason to take any advice from them.

A great game to play is to act interested and arrange to meet them at a starbucks at a date and time. When they call you from there when you don't show up, you tell them they were mistaken, and you are waiting at a different starbucks. If you can get them to visit more than three locations you have broke my record and I will buy you a pint.

blorgwinder
3rd Jun 2015, 14:23
See PM, just my humble opinion and my experience.