PDA

View Full Version : Scattering Ashes at RAF Mount Batten – Seeking Advice and Information

5645andym
1st Jun 2015, 05:09
Scattering Ashes at RAF Mount Batten – Seeking Advice and Information

My Father-in-Law died suddenly on Friday night. His name was Gordon Memory, he was 81 and was from Dartmouth and he served in the 1950's and 60's – I'm sorry that I do not have more information to hand about his service but he was on Christmas Island for the H-Bomb tests, RAF Changi in about 1962-63 and at RAF Mount Batten after that where he met his wife Ann who was a WRAF who was also posted there.

We are sorting out the details of his funeral and we would like to scatter his ashes at RAF Mount Batten. They both had many happy memories of the place and it feels appropriate to lay him to rest there.

We know that scattering ashes will require permission for the current land owner(s) so does any one have any useful information on who to contact or who might be sympathetic to our request?

Old-Duffer
1st Jun 2015, 05:41
I suggest as a first step you speak with the undertaker who is handling the funeral.

There are several options in the scattering of ashes as I see it. First, they could be buried in their casket, second they could be scattered in the accepted sense of the word and third they could be scattered on the waters off Mountbatten.

You might wish to scatter the ashes in a formal sense, possibly as part of a thanksgiving/celebration of life service afterwards. On the other hand you might simply wish to scatter them on a flower bed or verge (I came across ashes and a single rose on a track I use for walking my dogs. It was obvious that the family had simply decided that this was the place they wanted and just did it).

Old Duffer

ABBOT
1st Jun 2015, 07:16
Hi,

I my final posting was at RAF Mountbatten in the 80's. I do know a past Mayor in Plymouth. I'll ask a question.

PM me please

Chris Kebab
1st Jun 2015, 12:49
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Having done a few courses at Mountbatten over the years I drove past it a year or two ago, having "interesting" memories of the place! It was unrecognizable (maybe apart from the jetty), I couldn't even mentally position the Mess.

There is however a quite large memorial on the site by a grassed area and fairly adjacent to the water should you wish it; would probably be a quite appropriate spot and certainly feasible I would have thought - maybe a call to Plymouth council, the undertakers would probably, as suggested above, do that on your behalf?

Skeleton
1st Jun 2015, 13:23
My sympathy's for your loss.

I have sadly had to deal with this in the past, English legislation is fairly relaxed on the subject. Once the ashes are released by the undertaker into your care you can scatter them where you wish provided you have the land owners permission. In this case the local council as others have suggested will be able to tell you who owns the land you have chosen.

My only other thought is the local Royal British Legion branch, they may also be helpful in identifying a suitable location.

Wander00
1st Jun 2015, 17:04
On several occasions I scattered ashes in the Solent from my Yacht Club's mark-laying launch. Several times we scattered ashes from the casket: on a couple of occasions the ashes were in biodegradable packages that floated for a few minutes to allow for the formalities then slowly sank and dispersed

Good luck

5645andym
2nd Jun 2015, 05:47
Thank you to everyone for all your kind and helpful comments, which have given us useful information and some ideas to think about..

It looks like we can arrange something that is respectful, dignified and appropriate at a place that they both loved so we will be having a sit down with the Mother-in-law over the next day or two to decide on what she would like us to do.