PDA

View Full Version : Mick Sharp

paco
29th May 2015, 15:43
Just in case some of you didn't get notified:

It is with great sadness that I inform the wider Army Aviation family of the recent death of WO1 Michael Sharp.

WO1 MJ "Mick" Sharp served with the Army Air Corps, and was a most professional Army aviator. He was involved in various important exercises in Kenya, as well as taking part in the film "Who Dares Wins". He also took part in the Falklands War with 656 Squadron, and received a Mention in Dispatches for that campaign.

WO1 Sharp along with Brig Colin Sibun are well known for the ‘The Argentine Huey’ story where a serviceable Huey helicopter that had been abandoned at Port Stanley racecourse was recovered by themselves, even though they had never flown the Huey before. However after much flicking of switches and pressing of buttons it eventually burst into life, hampered only by a massive vertical bounce and with no radios compatible with their own they managed to keep all the needles in the green as they flew it home. Once safely landed they were faced with the problem of shutting it down which was overcome by simply switching off the fuel and waiting until everything stopped turning. The REME then worked their magic on the Huey and after translating the salient parts of a Spanish copy of pilot’s notes, the helicopter was used for mail and freight deliveries around the islands.

RIP Mick, and thanks for the beers.

Phil

MOSTAFA
29th May 2015, 16:58
The Scout fraternity and all Army aviators have lost a true legend, a very good friend and confidante. RIP Mick till later mate.

Lingo Dan
31st May 2015, 13:35
I'm sorry to hear this news about the passing of a good man, who certainly knew his stuff as a Scout pilot. He was one of several who made me welcome as a "light blue" on exchange to the AAC back in 1973, and whose wise words I often valued.

RIP indeed!

Arnie Madsen
31st May 2015, 18:22
umNxOAYJDQI