PDA

View Full Version : CAA ATPL Computer Freeze Mid Exam

The Maverick
28th May 2015, 09:47
Hello guys. Has Anyone had issues with their computer freezing mid exam and if so what happened and what was the CAA response?

Transsonic2000
28th May 2015, 13:25
Yep, happened to me! It was not in the UK, though. But anyway I guess computers have pretty much the same issues no matter where they are located.

I just answered the last question of the subject (can't remember which one) and after briefly reviewing my answers I hit the "finish or exit" button and there was no respond, the computer froze. After clicking the finish button several times a warning message popped up on the screen saying something about a script. That was the point where a cold shiver ran down my back and I decided to asked a supervisor for some help. I told him that my computer was not responding, he took a look, but it was obvious that he had no clue what to do. He told me just to wait and take a brake. I was done with the subject anyway, so I went out for a brake. Upon returning after about half an hour later, the computer was up and running again with all the previous subjects saved. Don't know what happened while I was outside the exam room, if someone was working on it or if the computer just recovered itself.

I don't know what would have happened, if this occurred in the middle of the exam (subject). Fortunately I was done with the subject, meaning all questions answered. My advise would be, definitely tell a supervisor about it and make sure they are aware of the issue, remain calm and wait, there is nothing you can do at that point!

Genghis the Engineer
28th May 2015, 14:40
My computer is a whizz-wheel, and CAA exams (at-least when I did them) are on paper.

So no.

Reverserbucket
29th May 2015, 13:06
Too right Genghis! I lost the transparent wind-vector window on my CRP-5 when sitting a nav paper many years ago...one of the retaining screws from the lower bezel fell out, followed shortly thereafter by the disc! Probably caused by the talcum powder used to help lubricate the wheel. Fortunately, a sympathetic invigilator recovered it for me and the screw had only fallen on the seat so disaster averted!

liam548
30th May 2015, 13:36
But talc works so well! :)

Not had a PC crash yet but have noticed if you flag questions and click next sometimes it changes your answer when you have gone back to it. I am not in the habit of double checking it has not changed my answer. Not sure if this is a "clicking issue" though. I did raise this with them last time but they had not had any others mention it.