PDA

View Full Version : Attention all...info and advice needed!

newcabinboy
11th Jun 2002, 14:20
Hi all.
I'm early 20's, currently working in ground ops which I've been doing for approx 2 years. I'm hoping to eventually make it into flying and am now applying to hopefully at least get an interview for summer 03. Just wondered if anyone can give me any advice or answer any of my questions?

Really, most important to me is wondering what the likelihood of being kept on permanently at somewhere like MYT, BY etc would be if I was lucky enough to get in for a temp summer contract? In my current (permanent) job im earning about £15500, does anyone know what sort of money (I presume itll be less) I could expect at, say one of the above?

My ideal would be for say, an EMA/LBA/MAN base, anyone know how hard it is to get in to one of those, how many staff they take on etc.. and how far you have to live from the airport. i presume itd be shorthaul on 320 or 757 at the above airports too... anyone know what the shifts/hours/crews are like...

Really, any info would be much appre. Do apologise for my ignorance/questions but I’m just trying to learn as much as poss before I move forward with applications

Ta
;)

Northern Hosty
11th Jun 2002, 15:19
Hi & welcome newcabinboy.

First of all you will take at least a £5000 pay cut but it will be worth it. Very unlikely that you will be taken on permanently straight away, some airlines give you a summer contract until Oct 31st & then maybe call you back the following summer.
I was offered an interview with every airline i applied to, but you have to be flexible on your app form & say that you are willing to relocate and not that you just want to be based at MAN, cause you probably wont get an interview, but i might be wrong!
I am based at LGW so cant tell you what the crews are like up North, but since im from the North, they will probably be fantastic :) :)
Call out time is usually 90 mins, but each airlines different.
Hope this has answered some of your questions.
Good luck :)

Thunderbird One
11th Jun 2002, 18:29
You will probably get a permenant contract a lot quicker at either MAN or LGW rather than some of the smaller outstations like
LBA/EMA/BHX etc as there are usually fewer jobs available during the winter and summer.

I'd say with flight pay, commissions, long haul allowances you easily make the same salary as you are on now if not more.

Not quite sure if I agree with Northern Hostie saying you have to be flexible with your base. If you are flexible then fine put it on your application form but I'm sure it won't go against you
If you want a particular base. I know I wouldn't consider any other bace than the one I am at and I made it clear at the time of application and interview so as not to waste anyones time.

I think times have changed for airlines too as they also have to be more flexible than they used to be.

Most airlines tend to finish you for winter and call you back in summer/late winter. Airtours (Now My Travel) were very lucky
with been kept on in the winter as the airline was expanding but not sure if thats starting to slow down now.

Regarding the fleet you work on and the routes you do depends on (the company I work for) the course date and demand for crew on the particular fleet at the time, you might get long haul straight away - you might not. It's supply and demand at the time.

Above all I'm sure you'll love it. Let us know how you get on and good luck;)