PDA

View Full Version : Preventing impulsive behaviour

Flaplesslanding
23rd May 2015, 06:23
Hi all.

I am currently in the process of training to (hopefully) become an airline pilot. Both my current instructor and I have identified that I sometimes have a tendency to act impulsively, especially when feeling rushed or stressed. I am actively working on resolving this (for example taking a breath and pausing where possible) as it is not a desirable character trait in a pilot. Has anyone got advice to help overcome this tendency, beyond pausing for breath?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

tom775257
23rd May 2015, 08:29
To be honest the fact you can see it in yourself is half the battle. With time as stress levels drop naturally you will calm down and take things more slowly. I think most humans when under stress (fight or flight, adrenaline levels up) will tend to speed up and act impulsively.

Experience will temper it, also keep working on the 'no fast hands (in the cockpit)'. Remember a professional pilot always looks calm, under the surface might be different, but by keeping up that image on the outside tends to slow you down naturally....

Genghis the Engineer
23rd May 2015, 09:54
"Initial actions".

The US Navy, I am told, teach that in the event of an emergency the first action is to wind on the clock on the instrument panel. This creates a short mental break to ensure that a pilot doesn't do the first thing that instinct said, and insteads steadies themselves mentally to analyse and respond properly to the situation.

Another approach, which I tend to use - probably because as a flight tester and part time instructor I'm very used to talking about what's happening constantly, is to leap straight into.... describing the problem. It has a similar effect: a mental break that stops you following inappropriate "instinctive" behaviours.

Unless it's a stall of course - in which case go with trained instinct!

JB007
23rd May 2015, 11:19
Tom is right, experience will simply cure it as your capacity grows!

BittenEdges
25th May 2015, 22:26
Here's some input; bravo!

Self assessment and an accurate self analysis of your strengths and weaknesses are so important in becoming a commercial pilot. The fact that you have identified this and are already trying to correct it shows great maturity, rather than get defensive about it and leave it through pride.

From me, your free capacity will improve greatly as you spend more time in the air and you'll have the ability to time to take stock and compare consequences. As you say, take a breath if things are hectic, few situations whilst flying aeroplanes or airliners rely on quick fire decisions. :)

Flaplesslanding
28th May 2015, 02:03
Hi guys.

Just wanted to say thanks to all for your input! It's been really helpful to hear advice from people with more experience and knowledge than I have at this stage! Will take the advice, and continue working on it!

Flapless.