PDA

View Full Version : What year did Exercise Joint Warrior begin

DougGordon
20th May 2015, 09:51
Please can anyone answer this question.
Thanks

Liobian
20th May 2015, 10:17
DG - I was involved in the civil/military coordination of such exercises and reckon that the name was adopted around 2004. Before that they were known as 'JMC' - 'Joint Maritime Coordination' IIRC - and ran three times per year. However, I can recall a/c of various nations gathering at Edinburgh, for pre- and post - ex briefing, way back into the '80s, so they are not a new idea.

Background Noise
20th May 2015, 10:41
Joint Maritime Course

JMC started as far back as 1946 and ran until 2005. In 2006 and 2007 it became Neptune Warrior and in 2008 it became Joint Warrior.

thunderbird7
20th May 2015, 13:27
JMC brief and de-brief at Turnhouse always seemed an ideal occasion to see if Edinburgh was still open late into the night IIRC.... :rolleyes:

Sandy Parts
20th May 2015, 14:52
Mystic Meg says " I see a thread coming with many stories of pre and post JMC briefing shenanigans in the fleshpots of Edinburgh and Glasgow...":p

tyne
20th May 2015, 18:27
I'm a civvy but was involved with JMOTS

Very hazy memories of all nighters here.

The Commodore in Helensburgh - Pub Home & About Us (http://www.vintageinn.co.uk/thecommodorehelensburgh/)

Got very tired and emotional with a Kiwi P3 chap and others the last time I stayed there 2004 ish.

olddog
20th May 2015, 18:47
Prior to 1971 anti submarine warfare training was run by the Joint Anti Submarine School based at Londonderry. These courses were expanded to include other disciplines of Maritime warfare under the direction of the Joint Maritime Training School based at RAF Turnhouse. Exercises were controlled, in the main, from HQNMAR, MHQ Pitreavie Castle until Pitreavie closed in the late 80s.

Blanket Stacker
24th May 2015, 21:48
Prior to 1971 anti submarine warfare training was run by the Joint Anti Submarine School based at Londonderry. These courses were expanded to include other disciplines of Maritime warfare under the direction of the Joint Maritime Training School based at RAF Turnhouse. Exercises were controlled, in the main, from HQNMAR, MHQ Pitreavie Castle until Pitreavie closed in the late 80s.

When JASS ran these exercises, participating aircraft operated from RAF Ballykelly. Not sure if other bases were used as well.

Biggus
25th May 2015, 08:27
For what it's worth, Pitreavie closed in the mid 90s.