PDA

View Full Version : FAA still forces retirement at 60?

Semaphore Sam
11th Jun 2002, 09:09
What is the status of the movement to increase the flying age to 63, or 65, under Part 121? Last I heard, a year or 2 ago, the FAA would shortly pass a rule change; I haven't heard anything recently. I am fast approaching 60; any info?

If not, any interest in a class action suit siting financial damage caused by said rule? Is ALPA or anyone else currently suing, or is ALPA opposed to said rule change. Thanks, Sam.

jafa
11th Jun 2002, 09:45
can only offer the web site "age sixty rule". Best of luck.

amos2
11th Jun 2002, 09:53
Has it crossed your mind, by any chance, that at age 60 it might be time to call it a day? ;)

mutt
11th Jun 2002, 10:03
Amos2.

Why should he? He can most certainly run rings around me anyday and I'm half his age!

Mutt.

seat 0A
11th Jun 2002, 13:21
That`s just the physical side of it.

m&v
11th Jun 2002, 17:01
Congress passed the 'change' to age 63,a couple of years ago!
Since then no adoption from the FAA(they opposed it throughout).
After Sept no immediacy to continue 'pilots'beyond 60....
Cheers..:confused:

ijp
11th Jun 2002, 21:30
A lawsuit would seem in order as in America , we are not eligible for retirement social security until 65, so on one hand the govt is saying retire at 60, and the other 65. If forced retirement is at 60, where is the money that I have paid into for retirement for years? What is the average Joe to do for 5 years for income, think about it.

AA717driver
12th Jun 2002, 05:30
The age 60 "debate" ebbs and flows with pilot recruiting. Two years ago, it was on the front burner--the sky was falling with regard to staffing.

Now, no one cares. With people on the street there is little enthusiasm within the airline community to keep max-pay, max seniority people on board any longer than is necessary.

Look for the subject to reappear on the screens in a few years.TC

A-V-8R
13th Jun 2002, 13:19
Semaphore Sam

You're probably a good man.

But when you studied for your license didn't they tell you you were going to retire as an ATP at age 60? (In the US, of course!)

I am 51, spent 15 years in the commuters and 16 years in the Majors. 9 more years to go!

All you have to do is save 10 per cent of your salary every year and the golden years are not a problem.

I have never owned a new car, and I have bought a house from the bank when the owner went bankrupt. But if UAL goes tits up, I can survive on my savings.

I really like flying, but I will really like retirement much better.

For US pilots, this problem is going to get much worse. It used to be you got partial social security at 62, full at 65. Now, depending on your birth year, it will be much, much, later.

I must confess now, the only way I could save 10 percent was to have it deducted from my pay. Otherwise, my wife or myself would have spent it in a heartbeat.

Semaphore Sam, I have a friend who was recently furloughed from US Air. For him, aviation has been hard. He is 56, hired at by the majors first job at 54.

He has no expectations of going back to work for USAir. He is taking a job with FlexJet just so he can work past age 60, because he will probably never be recalled....

If you need to work past age 60, then consider early retirement and grab a corporate job while you are young enough to be attractive to Employers....

Good Luck....where ever you may go, I may also follow......but maybe not my choice....

Semaphore Sam
14th Jun 2002, 14:33
A-V-8R: My personal situation is of no import in this question. I sympathize with all who need work; doctors, lawyers, brokers, etc. Either let all use this 60-&-out rule, or none. To pick out pilots, as opposed to dentists, or whomever, is just plain wrong. I don't want to force anyone out; don't force me out either. If I thought I could 'retire' (not an option for me; fly, or 7-11 night clerk), I would. But that's also irrelevant.

As Mutt implies, physically & mentally, we should all have to pass check-rides, and physicals. Can't pass at 43, OUT! Pass at 67, keep going as long as someone will hire you. This is fair.

Now, is there a lawyer in the house who would like to pursue this, or does anyone know of such a lawyer? Discrimination based on age would be the general basis of the suit. Anyone care to join in?

delta767captain
14th Jun 2002, 14:53
You can find more information on this subject at : http://www.apaas.org/