PDA

View Full Version : PPL-H Theory

AArkley
15th May 2015, 17:37
Morning all,

I'm a converting A to H pilot and so only have to sit four exams, however I'm struggling to find all-encompassing reference material for the three heli specific ones. I've a loaned copy of Wagtendonk and it's been suggested I get a copy of Norman Bailey's Vol 1, but is there anything out there like the Oxford or AFE books that takes a paper by paper approach to exams?

I noticed Phil Croucher has what I think is the most 'modern' (i.e. recently released) book out there; is it of any use?

Cheers,
AJA

paco
16th May 2015, 04:37
Of course it is! :)

It is the only book that contains everything you need. Oxford doesn't cover helicopters anyway, and the Pooley heli books are currently being revised (by me). The latest version is on the website.

Phil

AArkley
16th May 2015, 08:40
A biased or objective opinion?!

Thanks, I'll get a copy.

Adam

paco
16th May 2015, 09:38
Biased of course :)

jeepys
16th May 2015, 19:30
You can always try and ask Derek Davidson as I know he has a helicopter chap who does pplh ground school and exams. Derek is based in Bournemouth.

Dennis Kenyon
16th May 2015, 21:24
Well here's a bit of unbiased input. Phil's latest tome is a towering masterpiece of aviation information. For what my ha'porth is worth, it should become the definitive PPL training manual.

As I said at the time, I love the way Phil glides seamlessly through the syllabus. I learn something new every time I pick it up. Tis a highly readable, informative and well-written document that at the fifty or so quid it costs ... is an absolute steal.

A few old timers on here might recall the Royal Air Force document ... the infamous ASP 129. (the A4 sized version) Who remembers the fabulous, semi-nude Miss Diana Dors holding the manual to her fulsome breasts with the caption. "AP 129 covers everything" Phil Croucher's work does a ditto. Such happy days for we COFs. Dennis Kenyon.

John Eacott
16th May 2015, 22:02
Diana Dors: there's a blast from the past! Quite how the local Chingford tyre store had her along for the grand opening was a story for another time, but as a callow youth she assured my custom for a long time :ok: