PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Britain Fly Past Today Sunday 10 May

ChocksAwayChaps
10th May 2015, 11:09
Hello
Apologies if this is in wrong place.
Can you tell me if I can track the Guernsey to Coningsby fly past today on Flight Radar? I am in Notts and it's coming my way but want to track it, too.
What will altitude be approx ?

I have a look at Flight Radar but can't spot it.

Here's the link
Flying Programme 8 - 11 May 2015 (http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/news/index.cfm?storyid=C8E754EF-5056-A318-A81C65F9A189FF74)
Edit@ I spose I am asking if there's a transponder fitted.
Many thanks and best wishes :)

WHBM
10th May 2015, 12:04
The Reds just roared over our house. No, not on FR at all.

Wander00
10th May 2015, 12:09
Cannot think where else to put this - great to see commemoration and celebration of VE Day, but too VJ Day MUST NOT be forgotten. Not for nothing was 14th Army called "the forgotten army". They and their sacrifice must not be ignored in this 70th Anniversary year.

Chugalug2
10th May 2015, 13:04
Fully agree Wander00, but there was no such confusion at the time, to be fair. Churchill had said that we could allow ourselves a brief period of rejoicing, with the implied reminder that here was still a war to be won. 14th army might well have considered themselves forgotten, but certainly not by their loved ones.

All who celebrated on VE Day were well aware that many of them faced shipping out to the Far East where the war might well drag on for years rather than months, and cost millions of lives more. Even those few who had privileged knowledge of the Manhattan Project didn't know if it could or would be used militarily against Japan. When it was, mercifully the war was over at last after six long wearying years.

Relief was more the reaction than rejoicing though. We now knew the depths which a supposedly civilised country had plumbed in Europe, and the depths to which an alien society in the Far East had sought to match it. In fairness to the former, its modern society has overwhelmingly repudiated its forbears in that regard. No such qualification can be made about the latter though.

Pontius Navigator
10th May 2015, 13:42
Wander, indeed, my father was preparing to ship materials to SE Asia before VJ day having positioned his ship in Liverpool on 11 Aug. He sailed on 20 Aug and didn't return to Falmouth until Mar 1947.

For some the fighting might have been over but the war effort was not. A friend ofmine was a CH Tech in Ceylon and a new Adjt tried to reintroduce peacetime dress regs, early morning pre-work parades etc.

The men, who thought they should have been
Demobbed but we're kept out of the UK jobs market, didn't quite mutiny went to their sheds instead. A VSO arrived,listened to grievances, and the adjt was posted.

Wander00
10th May 2015, 18:03
Slight thread drift - when I was Treasurer of RAF Equitation in the late 80s, my opposite number as Secretary was another sqn ldr whose name I forget, but his Mother in Law was unforgettable, Dame Vera Lynn. She used to attend all the major RAF equitation events and present the trophies. A lovely lady and totally unforgettable