PDA

View Full Version : How to carry flight helmets on commercial aircraft

QDMQDMQDM
7th May 2015, 09:18
I've just got a new Gallet and I am wondering how everyone manages to take their helmets on board commercial aircraft as hand luggage? If your helmet bag is the only bag you are allowed to take as hand luggage, then you are severely restricted on taking laptops and other stuff etc.

Does showing flight crew ID ever work in getting the check in staff to allow you an extra bag? If so, how reliably does it work?

Thanks in advance,

David

Max Shutterspeed
7th May 2015, 09:55
Take a look at motorsport gear websites. For example, Sparco sell racing driver crash helmet bags that hold other kit. My pal is a professional driver and his Arai full face helmet is expensive, he uses a hybrid helmet bag that also has a compartment for overnight kit.

Try Googling Arai helmet bag, Stilo helmet bag etc

Hope this helps.

QDMQDMQDM
7th May 2015, 10:02
Thx. Good suggestion. I'll have a look.

Flyting
7th May 2015, 10:07
Never had a problem taking the helmet bag (soft bag - so I could roll it up and pack it away when not in use) and laptop (backpack). I'd put my backpack on properly and then clip the handles of the helmet bag to the shoulder straps in front.
Try find a smaller laptop bag and carry the important stuff. Leave the rest of the junk (charger cables, books etc) that you don't need in your suitcase...

If you're contracting and flying commercially a lot to get where you need to work, buy a smaller laptop as well... You don't really need the huge screen!

TwinHueyMan
7th May 2015, 12:30
I've always checked my helmet either in a Pelican case or one of the multitude of semi-hard flight gear bags Uncle Sam has provided me in the past. Haven't had a problem, knock on wood. Other folks have had luck checking them gateside in soft bags with "fragile" tags attached - gateside checked bags seem to end up on top of the pile in the cargo compartment and don't spend much (if any) time on the baggage machines.

Mike

mickjoebill
7th May 2015, 13:19
I regularly fly with a helmet to filming shoots. I usually take it as hand luggage in a soft bag and can stuff it with socks and jocks gor an overnight stay.
I've been stooped once at security where they questioned if the dual metal prong boom mic could be used as a weapon!

No point putting it in a flight case unless it is well protected. Given its light weight a vulcanised fiber case is a smart move. A pelican case is heavy if you are paying for your checked bags.
They are a bloody awkard shape, just like the noggins they protect:)

Mickjoebill

7th May 2015, 16:06
Just wear it! Problem solved plus you can't hear the screaming kids and you are better protected in the event of an accident - win win;)

Gordy
7th May 2015, 16:11
I use one of these bags:

Gibson Barnes Helmet Bag (http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-294112/Deluxe-Helmet-Bags.html)

This keeps the helmet upright vs the cloth "military" bags where the helmet can crack every time you put it on the ground.

Always take it as carry-on, as one of 2 allowed bags. Never been questioned......

Thracian
7th May 2015, 17:05
This keeps the helmet upright vs the cloth "military" bags where the helmet can crack every time you put it on the ground.

If you put a helmet (in a bag!) on the ground, and it can crack:
Of what use exactly is this helmet in case of wearing it? Just to hold the visor shields in two or three colors and the nvg?
Is it really so "sensitive"?

:suspect:

Thracian

Gordy
7th May 2015, 22:33
I work with firefighters who are issued flight helmets and the standard "military cloth" type bag. They put the helmet in top side down.....then they carry the bag and when they put it down, guess which part of the helmet hits the ground.

I have seen many military people do the same. I was just showing the bag I use as it holds the helmet upright is all.

8th May 2015, 06:55
Thracian - impact damage can severely compromise the structural integrity of the helmet - it is designed to deform and absorb energy.

If you keep 'dinging' it carrying it around in a cloth bag, don't be surprised when it doesn't protect you properly in the event of a crash.

Hughes500
8th May 2015, 09:59
Why not wear it on the airliner ? :ok:

rigidkid
10th May 2015, 10:15
I travel regularly touring across oz. I have a plastic box that I use to carry my Alpha Helmet and its perfect. It also allows you to have all of your additional equipment kneeboards, torches etc. The plastic box is made by Space Case. they are fully protective of the equipment inside and are also water proof...i regularly check it in and know that not even the worst baggage handlers can do it any harm!!

Cant go wrong...

Spacecase Plastic Storage Boxes (http://www.spacepac.com.au/index_spacecase.htm)