PDA

View Full Version : EFB 10 Year Anniversay

Outatowner
7th May 2015, 05:10
Someone's made a career out of this "home made EFB" farce and it's been an amazing technological journey but I heard the ten year anniversary of the introduction of the laptop EFB system here is coming up and to celebrate they're going to bin the entire ridiculous thing and revert to the original systems planned by the respective manufacturers.

No more screens freezing up, no more having to get down on knees to reset the laptop jerry-rigged into the flight bag stowage, no more wondering how you'd deal with a LiPo battery fire in that mount, no more hooking laptops over the window handle, no more finding out the company route STILL isn't loaded despite it being a 15 year destination, no more screen failures, no more passing laptops back and forth or running the batteries down inflight, no more manually entering airways and waypoints, no more power cables being run over by the seats, no more badly translated LIDO charts or having to read tea leaves to work out which STAR, etc.

That was all a lot of fun but could it be someone's finally decided the money spent on this idiotic, tightfisted, abortion of a thing is outweighed by just buying the proper gear instead and we'll be able to function properly and cross load all data back and forth like everyone else has been doing for years. Welcome to the 20th century..... Happy daze.

Mr Good Cat
7th May 2015, 05:36
It's all tablets from the start of 2016.

Which to be honest is by far the best possible configuration in terms of tailored applications and briefings etc. Even the airlines who've been using the manufacturer's EFB systems are switching to tablets.

I'd prefer the proper iPad platform but that will NEVER happen within EGIT. They just don't have the guys with apple experience to tailor the company apps.

sluggums
7th May 2015, 06:20
Poor TCAS, I wonder where he's going to get his kickback from now...

Praise Jebus
7th May 2015, 10:42
Pay peanuts you get Gibbons. ..

Dropp the Pilot
7th May 2015, 10:51
Ah the gibbons, still here and braced firmly against the trough no doubt.

Some ships sink and they can't be found, but Mr. G has managed to rise without a trace.

Panther 88
7th May 2015, 11:12
Just truly wondering. Has TCAS EVER made any decision that benefitted the pilot group or the operation in general? Honest question.

donpizmeov
7th May 2015, 11:15
He has decided to turn 65 at the end of the year and leave.

TangoUniform
7th May 2015, 12:05
Good one, Don.

Kamelchaser
7th May 2015, 17:30
As I recall a handful of people got najims for this technological marvel of a project.

Have these najims been recalled like 95% of all FCIs? Have the miscreants been sacked or at the very least been issued final warning letters?

SOPS
7th May 2015, 23:16
Final verbal written warnings, or written verbal final warnings?

harry the cod
9th May 2015, 01:33
There's history behind the decision to use the EFBs all those years ago and it's got bugger all to do with our incumbent DSVP. Praise Jebus hit the nail on the head with the perperator! Already one cover up over Jo'burg that he 'survived'. I guess family connections have their advantage. AS had to tow the political line otherwise the investment made on the EFB's would be wasted. It's all about loss of face and being the son in law to the then Chairman of the Company (RIP) meant losing face was not an option.

Harry