PDA

View Full Version : Tasmanian Air Adventures In Liquidation

CharlieLimaX-Ray
30th Apr 2015, 06:27
ABC website is reporting that the company has been placed into liquidation today.

beached az
30th Apr 2015, 06:33
Sad day indeed, these guys were a very professional outfit. :{:{:{

Tasmanian Air Adventures in liquidation | The Mercury (http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/tasmanian-air-adventures-in-liquidation/story-fnj4f7k1-1227328240883)

deadcut
30th Apr 2015, 07:16
Can everyone please stop going bankrupt?

K, thnx

Pilot58
30th Apr 2015, 08:56
It's a bad trend,though a professional outfit still needs to make money I guess

Fantome
30th Apr 2015, 10:25
In the beginning TAA had inside running in the port of Hobart with the enthusiastic support of the former Lord Mayor

The best outcome would be the take over of the company by someone
able to take up the reigns will renewed vigour.

swells
30th Apr 2015, 11:36
underhand tactics of competing charter firms??

I.e., Par Avion (Me) ?

We operated in different markets and had a amicable relationship with them.

I dare say with issues like "upcoming" Part 135, expensive fuel, the usual issues of General Aviation, maintenance..., that the directors realised that there are easier ways to make money than the toilet which can at times be aviation.

Despite it being an award winning product, a growing market and a plane which seemed to be flying all the time, those inevitable costs must hast just been too difficult to overcome.

Kudos to giving it a shot, it's a real shame it didnt work out as by all accounts the punters loved it.

Shannon

Duck Pilot
30th Apr 2015, 11:45
Given the commercial environment down there, it's a sad reality of the times in Tassie. IMHO the business needs to be operated as part of another operation that can provide income when the core floatplane business is flat due to seasonal demand etc.

A couple of other companies are/or have been up for sale for quite some time in Tasmania recently. Two that come to mind is the other float plane operator at Strahan and the charter operator at Bridport. Also heard that the Aero Club in Hobart (CBG) has got out of training and the Aero Club in Launceston is very quite.

Horatio Leafblower
30th Apr 2015, 13:05
I was told today that the RFDS is now managing an aircraft for Santos, and are going into Charter in a big way.

Here we have a big-business charity outfit exempt from tax competing with small business operators trying to build something.

I might have to start the Leafbower Eclesiastical Church so I can get charity status too

Creampuff
30th Apr 2015, 21:41
Just become a Pastafarian Minister in the Church of the Flying Spagetti Monster: Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (http://www.venganza.org/) :ok:

Squawk7700
30th Apr 2015, 23:38
Who knows how much money they owed or credit arrangements they had.... generally if you fold, you aren't making enough money because the money coming in is not greater than or equal to the money going out :8

TOUCH-AND-GO
1st May 2015, 00:51
:sad: Sad times in aviation at the moment. Flew with Tasmania Air Adventures when I was down in Tassie in 2011. Had a remarkable experience, you will be missed by many, but not forgotten. Thanks guys!

it's a sad reality of the times in Tassie

Not just Tasmania. The industry in Australia is feeling the pinch as well...

T&G.

Aussie Bob
1st May 2015, 00:56
do not rule out the distinct possibility that the demise of this operator is connected with the underhand tactics of competing charter firms

But Fantome, they had no competition.

tail wheel
1st May 2015, 02:39
“That included a lot of changing and challenging of regulatory requirements that were very confusing and there were a lot of blockages put up at the start."

How unusual!! :mad:

Generally Squawk, aviation is capital intensive and undercapitalisation is the primary cause of premature insolvencies. Debt to equity ratios in aviation any greater than 1:1 are a bankruptcy looking for a place to happen - not that I am suggesting this operator was undercapitalised or insolvent.

Fantome
1st May 2015, 08:51
But Fantome, they had no competition.

Point taken Bob . .. . . . post edited. (Guess there's a bit of
unpalatable history that clouds accurate perception at times.)

Knew all the folk at TAA. Enthusiasts to the core.

Dick Smith
1st May 2015, 13:42
Shannon. Will part 135 add to your costs in any way?

Was supposed to reduce costs to the industry.

4 Holer
1st May 2015, 14:07
Can you advise Liquidator name and contact and is the AOC still valid.

Have a buddy in US with capital his associates are in Newcastle and Sydney who wish to take a peek…..

gerry111
1st May 2015, 14:19
Horatio Leafblower,

A similar thing happened to Licenced Second Hand Dealers. (Remember them, anybody?) Their place has been taken up by tax exempt charities such as Anglicare, Salvation Army and Vinnies.

hiwaytohell
1st May 2015, 21:58
I was told today that the RFDS is now managing an aircraft for Santos, and are going into Charter in a big way.

Nothing new in the RFDS using their subsidised muscle to take out small charter operators. They have been doing that for years.

Although they cried foul to every politician that would listen when they lost work to Pelair and Aeropearl.

swells
2nd May 2015, 04:07
Hi Dick

Not really sure how that can be possible ("Part 135 operator's will require certification under CASR Part 119, with its requirements for: continuing airworthiness under an approved aircraft maintenance program, operational risk management under a safety management system, fatigue risk management systems for crew and procedural training and checking of flight crews under the operator's training and checking system either in-house or provided by an arrangement with a Part 142 certified training and checking provider.") also the requirement for TAWS B. (let alone PBN and ADSB)

I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with the proposals, just saying it will add costs.

Be nice however if we could get an update from later than the Consultation Draft in 2012 :sad:

Shannon

swells
2nd May 2015, 04:09
Can you advise Liquidator name and contact and is the AOC still valid.

Have a buddy in US with capital his associates are in Newcastle and Sydney who wish to take a peek…..

Tasmanian Air Adventures in liquidation | The Mercury (http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/tasmanian-air-adventures-in-liquidation/story-fnj4f7k1-1227328240883)

Robert Tenbensel, of Tenuto Financial Chartered Accountants, has been appointed liquidator of the YKYMF Group Pty Ltd, trading as Tasmanian Air Adventures. - Tenbensel & Dee - Chartered Accountants (http://www.tendee.com.au/)

I believe an AOC is suspended when a company goes into liquidation. I dont know the procedures for getting it reinstated, obviously key personnel would need to be appointed.

they also dealt with the Tasair liquidation - http://www.tendee.com.au/Annual_rep_tasair.pdf

Shannon

B772
2nd May 2015, 12:21
Tim Robertson a Director of TAA has been quoted as saying the start up costs were 3 times greater than budgeted due to lots of changing, challenging and confusing regulatory requirements.

Dick Smith
2nd May 2015, 23:00
So there you have it. Once again a regulator which ignores current Government policy re reducing costs .

I can only see things getting worse over the next five years. Would suggest business people dis- invest re aviation wherever possible.

Otherwise don't whinge if all the money is lost!

CharlieLimaX-Ray
2nd May 2015, 23:10
Probably not so much CASA this time Dick, more likely the state and local government departments.

Imagine the hoops that some up and coming green tinged beaurecrat could dream up to enforce on you!

Aussie Bob
2nd May 2015, 23:29
Probably not so much CASA this time Dick, more likely the state and local government departments.

That too Charlie, but I have watched this company from start up and I believe it took over two years from initial application until the AOC was issued. Way too many obstacles just to get an ops manual together that only the CP understands and for the most part simply sits on the shelf until audit time. The garbage that is required for an ops manual for a simple scenic flight operator is way over the top.

The regulator has a lot to answer to regarding getting (AOC) applicants up and running.

Rotor Work
3rd May 2015, 08:00
From today's Mercury

Red-tape costs blamed: Currant says bureaucracy sank seaplane business | The Mercury (http://www.themercury.com.au/lifestyle/red-tape-costs-blamed-currant-says-bureaucracy-sank-seaplane-business/story-fnj64obd-1227332256281)

PUMPHOUSE Point operator Simon Currant has blamed red tape for putting the seaplane company servicing his wilderness retreat out of business. Mr Currant, who helped set up Tasmanian Air Adventures, says government bureaucratic costs sank the business.
Tasmanian Air Adventures entered voluntary liquidation last week, despite growing by 40 per cent in each of the three years it operated.
Director Tim Robertson told the Mercury last week the business could not endure another year of losses on top of $1.5 million to set up.
MORE: TASMANIAN AIR ADVENTURES IN LIQUIDATION (http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/tasmanian-air-adventures-in-liquidation/story-fnj4f7k1-1227328240883)
Mr Currant said a quality Tasmanian tourism product had been sent to the wall by huge establishment costs.
“[It’s] bureaucratic interference and process driven attitudes rather than outcomes which cost the private person a fortune for no real gain, *incredible red tape,” he said.
Tasmanian Air Adventures had exclusive rights to land in the World Heritage Area and national parks.
Mr Currant said he had helped the company negotiate the set-up process, which enabled Pumphouse Point patrons to arrive at Lake St Clair by air.
“They were facing ridiculous demands from various government operations,” he said.
Mr Currant is confident another operator will pick up the business, despite the costs.
“It’s an award-winning product, a great experience. It’s a fantastic asset and someone will pick it up, I’m sure,” he said. “I know what the numbers are on it — I feel sorry for those guys because it was absolutely matters out of their control that caused it.”
Rival tourism airline Par Avion, which does not have a seaplane licence, said it was too early for a decision on whether it could take on the business.
“We’re very heavily invested in tourism,” managing dir*ector Shannon Wells said.
Tasmanian Air Adventures had complemented his business but aviation costs continued to grow, he said.
“As soon as you say salt water, you can double your costs,” he said.

Fantome
3rd May 2015, 08:58
I have watched this company from start up and I believe it took over two years from initial application until the AOC was issued. Way too many obstacles just to get an ops manual together that only the CP understands and for the most part simply sits on the shelf until audit time. The garbage that is required for an ops manual for a simple scenic flight operator is way over the top.

The regulator has a lot to answer to regarding getting (AOC) applicants up and running.

Too bloody right Bob

How to launch a business in glorious high hope then
be throttled by the regulatory mafia

buy a banner towing outfit and hope to get a return these days?
pull the other one

“As soon as you say salt water, you can double your costs,”

not so if taken out of the briney every night and hosed off with the gurney

even so, Vic Walton did not do that at Pittwater for his hard working Beavers

werbil
6th May 2015, 11:45
“As soon as you say salt water, you can double your costs,”

not so if taken out of the briney every night and hosed off with the gurney

I would have said doubling maintenance costs for open water salt operations is way to conservative, even with a daily freshwater wash.

CharlieLimaX-Ray
11th May 2015, 23:21
ABC website quoting "Liquidator still not sure how seaplane business failed"

CharlieLimaX-Ray
24th Jul 2015, 08:38
Any developments, and what has happened to the Beaver?

Somebody told me they were trying to purchase the Strahan based operator, but the owner wouldn't budge on his price.

Rotor Work
24th Jul 2015, 09:43
Noticed a for sale add in last months Aviation Trader for 1 x Beaver & the Tourism Business. Various offer options available. Also said for more info visit Lloyds Auctions (http://www.lloydsauctions.com.au)
Regards R W

beached az
30th Aug 2018, 23:38
Good Luck to all involved. :D
Sincerely hope you can make a go of it :)

https://www.examiner.com.au/sport/local-sport/5617447/seaplane-soon-to-fly-high-over-hobart/

BAz :ok: