PDA

View Full Version : Air cadet Gliding Scholarship

dannyhill94
28th Apr 2015, 20:27
Good evening all. I have a question with regards to the flying done in an air cadet gliding in the vigilant motorglider. Are any of the hours, and solo performed during the course loggable towards an NPPL? Can't find anything on CAP 804

Random Bloke
29th Apr 2015, 05:45
The Vigilant is a self-launching motor glider (SLMG). It is also classed as a touring motor glider (TMG). Hours on the Vigilant will count towards an SLMG PPL.

BBK
29th Apr 2015, 08:18
Happy to be corrected on this by someone who's actually looked into this properly....:)

You certainly could, under JAA rules, count Vig time towards maintaining a PPL if you had the TMG endorsement on an existing PPL. I'm not sure if you can count instructional hours towards PPL issue as most VGS instructors (probably) don't have TMG instructor ratings.

I haven't got experience of the NPPL and my student days were pre JAA so interested to hear if it's changed. Why don't you ask the guys at your local VGS or better still CGS as they will, I'm sure, have TMG examiners who should know chapter and verse on this one.

regards

BBK

kestrel539
29th Apr 2015, 09:00
Go to the NPPL website, you should find all the info you want there.

The Old Fat One
29th Apr 2015, 22:33
Likewise, I'm out of date and out of touch, so don't take this as gospel, but

In addition to this...

I'm not sure if you can count instructional hours towards PPL issue as most VGS instructors (probably) don't have TMG instructor ratings.

...would not the flying have to be within a correctly authorised civilian flying school as well in order to count??

The Air Cadet Pilot Scheme (at Tayside) counts towards a PPL as it ticks both boxes...not sure any other form of Air Cadet flying does (but note the disclaimer above).