PDA

View Full Version : anyone sat ATPL M&B recently?

liam548
28th Apr 2015, 13:47
Just wondering if the format follows closely that offered by Bristols question bank, i.e the ratio of theory to calculation questions etc?

Do the questions match well those we can practice on the banks or
has it had a massive shake up?

rdbc2007
28th Apr 2015, 15:34
I had my M&B exam in February and it was pretty much the bgsonline question bank.

You got exams coming up next week? I do. If so good luck.

liam548
28th Apr 2015, 16:00
Thanks for the reply, was just wondering as not heard anything on the Bristol forums recently about this subject and no one responded on the major training providers facebook pages.

I could do it next week but think I'll hold off and sit it with GNAV in June, hopefully that will be 12 down 2 to go.

Where will you be sitting yours?

:cool:

Scoobster
28th Apr 2015, 16:12
I am prepping the M&B and Module 1 at the moment.. up to chapter on calculations for Allowed Take Off Mass and differences between Max Traffic Load and Max Fuel Load.

Distance Learning... :ugh:

CAP696 - Is that open book which you can take into the exam room? and refer to it..?

Also - I haven't activated my sub to ATPL online yet (get 12 months bundled in free with the course provider) - Do people generally take out more subs i.e. to BGS also?

Thanks.

liam548
28th Apr 2015, 16:33
which school are you with?

as of jan this year NO CAPS allowed in exams. They provide annexes instead. Not really an issue. I have been told the types of questions asking for standard masses for females/males/infants have been done away with as a result.

I subscribe to BGS on an annual basis to compliment my CATS online questions. I purchased a week to atplonline prior to my sitting this month and have to say BGS online is far better. ATPL online still had MET questions in for flight planning!

rdbc2007
28th Apr 2015, 16:36
I'll be sitting them in Luton. It's only 20 minutes from home so it's quite handy.

Scoobster - I would start the question bank ASAP as it will supplement your study.

Keep at it guys. Distance learning is a struggle but one day it will be over.

Scoobster
28th Apr 2015, 22:45
I am with ProPilot.. I was told it was not recommended to activate your sub until at least half way through module 1.. I will probably activate it tomorrow.

I have no idea what that M&B manual is (well obviously I do but what am getting at) I assume the question will 'refer' you to the manual or Annex and it will be pretty obvious when to use it from the question?

E.G "The following is the information for the MEP Sample Aircraft".

On a separate note - Any useful study techniques?

I read the invidual chapters fully, make notes (as the process of writing helps sink it in) - attempt the workbooks to consolidate - type up my notes and then do question banks etc to see where the gaps are.

Endless pages of note taking and slow burn :bored:

Alex Whittingham
29th Apr 2015, 10:02
That sounds like a good study plan. One to watch in M&B is that there appear to be some groups of very similar questions with subtly different answers. When you are using question banks for calculation questions do not say "Oh I recognise that question, the answer is 'x'", read the question every time and work out the answer, one little variable may have been changed to make the answer 'y'.

Scoobster
29th Apr 2015, 13:03
I don't know whether I am being lured into a false sense of security.. but I am finding M&B quite interesting and PoF and Met - a bit of a grind.

Comms and HPL are just read through once and use the common sense approach.

I suppose I better tackle the question banks just to check that it is all sinking in and being answered correctly.. I ordered the books in Feb this year and made an 'active start' around late Feb/March.

I may order a couple of CD Roms for Met & PoF.

Any diagrams will be gratefully received :O

Is it recommended to take out more than one sub to a QB?

WASALOADIE
1st May 2015, 07:21
As Alex has said, you need to read the question carefully. If they change 1 figure in the problem, this can lead to a completely different answer. Some of our students returned from the last set of exams saying they recognised a lot of questions but the figures didn't match. Luckily, they followed my brief and succeeded.

P40Warhawk
1st May 2015, 20:25
In GNAV focus on W/V and Xwind questions. Make sure you can make those quickly. I managed to calculate those very quickly. Those also count heavier. More points per correct answer.
Those were in my exam around 50%. Then the other 50% are general questions. 2 Polars, 1 Grid, Scale etc. Everything you dont understand , just postpone, otherwise you waste to much time, but as I said, W/V X wind , those are easy. If you have done those, you have still lots of time left.

Its not spectacular, but I passed Gnav with 91%. Because I knew focus was on W/V.

Grid I knew there might be maybe 1 or 2 question, but I had problems with understanding it somehow. So I gambled a bit, and remembered answers from QB. That was the only time I gambled, but if I made that one wrong it doesnt cost that much of points. But my gamble worked out well. Had 2 Grids and both correct. NOTE: DONT GAMBLE WITH OTHER PARTS of GNAV.

Further know how to draw diagrams in Polar Stereo and Lambert, convergency. If you can draw, that you find answer even without even calculating. I knew how to calculate, but diagram gave me already answer. Great circle, Rhumbline .

Myself I also went through the books first to have general understanding. Then questions. Check what went correct, but most of all, what went wrong. Check the books and do questions again.

Back to topic M&B. Dont think to hard. In beginning I had also problems with the system of adding and subtracking masses and MAC Stuff. But create yourself also sums with this system. Practice a lot. You will get through it.
I Scored 100% on Exam. If I can do it, everyone can do that ;) .

RedBullGaveMeWings
1st May 2015, 20:35
Back to topic M&B. Dont think to hard. In beginning I had also problems with the system of adding and subtracking masses and MAC Stuff. But create yourself also sums with this system. Practice a lot. You will get through it.
I Scored 100% on Exam. If I can do it, everyone can do that ;) .
Interesting post P40Warhawk.
Care to explain the part I quoted? What do you mean by "create yourself also sums with this system"?

P40Warhawk
1st May 2015, 20:47
Very Easy. Changing numbers of masses of MAC etc. Then try to calculate those.