PDA

View Full Version : How to get away from not doing a flight review.

dreamed2fly
27th Apr 2015, 06:53
My instructor tlells me you can get away with not doing a flight review and continue to fly? How and what regs?

Squawk7700
27th Apr 2015, 07:57
Type and or feature endorsement perhaps?

drpixie
27th Apr 2015, 08:51
Or proficiency checks for anything that needs one - IFR, FIR, etc. I haven't done an actual fight review for .... not sure but a long time :)

pithblot
27th Apr 2015, 17:21
The way to get away from "not doing a flight review" is to do a flight review.

AbsoluteFokker
28th Apr 2015, 06:18
you can get away with it - fly dual

aileron_69
28th Apr 2015, 07:02
Is a flight review really that big of a deal??????

Mach E Avelli
28th Apr 2015, 08:24
People also 'get away' with driving without a licence. All often seems OK until something goes wrong and there is an insurance claim or they hurt someone.
The only regulation I can think of allows certain check rides (like an IPC) to also count as a Flight Review in some situations. But not for every case, so be very, very careful what you assume.

wantobe
28th Apr 2015, 08:28
Instructors who have a current Instructor rating don't have to do a CPL BFR as long as they do a instructor rating renewal every year.

Aussie Bob
28th Apr 2015, 09:05
Let me fix your typo wantobe ....

Instructors who have a current Instructor rating don't have to do a CPL AFR as long as they do a instructor rating renewal every two years.

Creampuff
28th Apr 2015, 09:19
It's easy to keep flying, legally for years, without doing any proficiency check, endorsement, renewal or review:

Just remain a student pilot.

wantobe
28th Apr 2015, 09:54
Aussie bob, sorry mate I don't understand what you mean. In New Zealand, Instructor rating renewals are done every year.

Geosync
28th Apr 2015, 19:16
Here in the states if you're flying your aircraft for pleasure, you basically don't have to do squat. You can have your medical lapse, your BFR lapse, hell you might not even have a license. There are tons of old flyers out in the middle of no-where flying with expired medicals or BFRs, but as mentioned before, if you get caught or injure someone you're screwed. I'm in aviation claims, and I've seen some pretty nasty lawsuits and settlements that came out of the pilot's(or estate if the pilot died) pocket because their policy was voided due to not keeping current/not properly rated.

scroogee
28th Apr 2015, 22:15
wantobe- a BFR is required every 2 years, as an instructor your BFR would last for 2 years from the date of last renewal, you couldn't instruct but your BFR would be valid for the 2nd year.

creampuff- possibly, but the constant dual checks would be just as costly and annoying (at least in NZ- dual check every 5 hours and/or 30 days if I remember correctly).

I will also add (again at least in NZ) that a check done as part of a company route/IFR/whatever that covers the BFR is only available for use while with that company, if you change jobs or quit, get laid off, that BFR is no longer valid either.

Jabawocky
29th Apr 2015, 03:58
My instructor tlells me you can get away with not doing a flight review and continue to fly? How and what regs?

EASY! Just don't do one. Keep flying. I don't think you will ever be caught either!

Regs…..What regs? :E

Squawk7700
29th Apr 2015, 04:11
Where is yr_right when you need him? He would probably agree with you Jabba :-) After all, surely you don't need to do a review if you are flying regularly??? AFR's are just for weekend aviators as surely they are the most dangerous???

Avgas172
29th Apr 2015, 10:16
However in 30 years of flying I have had multiple BFR's, endo's and flight checks when I had to hire and yet I have never ever ever been asked for my licence by anyone other than the instructor loaning me his fine aeroplane, ie never had a ramp check by CASA .....:rolleyes:
That's 28 ....

OZBUSDRIVER
29th Apr 2015, 22:11
The AFR doesn't represent value for money.

Type rating or feature endorsment every couple of years will see a better use of the disposable for the PVT operator. Then NVFR and CIR with the required renewals will see you never have to do an AFR.....the hint is to keep flying...a lot!

Then you have 90 day check rides in the club environment for " insurance purposes". A good check for currency with low useage pilots and then...there will come a day...you only fly to keep current. Time to hang up the headset until times get better. It is far easier to redo an initial medical, a couple of hours dual, assess where you are at. Do the required instruction to get current and launch into your flying. It works out cheaper...and safer:ok:

Better use of your money than doing an AFR.