PDA

View Full Version : Operation Eagle Claw

chopper2004
24th Apr 2015, 18:51
35 years ago today if I am correct? Had a classmate at uni, mature student ex USAF who settled here after marrying local girl in deepest Suffolk, his last base was closed post GW1. His career was predominantly on Herks and ended up as flying spanner on a Spectre and Talon. Told me that he was one of the luckier ones left behind in Egypt when his squadron mates went forth to Oman and then beyond.

Then out of the tragedy, the findings of the Holloway report paved (please forgive the pun) the way for the Air Commandos and Nightstalkers creation.

Have not watched Argo with Ben Affleck but looked interesting..

Though I have read that if given the green light, the second attempt, Honey Badger would involve pretty much a mass air assault as the UH-60A was just entering service plus CAS. Plus CREDIBLE SPORT MC-130 with rocket engines.

Cheers

MG
24th Apr 2015, 19:49
It's a real shame that there are no good, in-depth books on this operation. Or are there? I'd love to find out!
I remember having a lunchtime discussion at Shrivenham with 2 of the academics over why Eagle Claw was a failure, when the Son Tay raid, 10 years earlier had been a (qualified) success. I know that Shrivenham isn't everyone's cup of tea,but for a cabbage like me, that hour epitomised what I loved about being there.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
24th Apr 2015, 19:53
'Argo' is always preceded in Canada by a documentary featuring Canada's Ambassador to Iran, where he basically says the movie is a load of b#llocks (but in a nice way,like Canadians do ;))

Uncle Ginsters
24th Apr 2015, 21:17
MG,
I recently got into this Op from a historical point of view and can recommend "The Guts To Try" by James H. Kyle; he was the on scene AMC if I recall correctly so has a great insight into both the planning and execution.
As a sideline, "No Room For Error", co-authored by John T. Carney (the lead Combat Controller for Op Eagle Claw) gives some interesting background as well.
Despite its much debated failure, there can be no questioning that Op Eagle Claw brought a lot of clandestine tactics and equipment into the mainstream, especially in terms of NVG work.

MG
24th Apr 2015, 21:55
I knew that Pprune would have an answer, thanks!
I can't disagree with the operation bringing TTPs in to the mainstream, but that was probably only a matter of time. For me, the fascinating aspect is the insistence of tri-service involvement and how that contributed to its failure, when it should only have enhanced it.

PICKS135
25th Apr 2015, 14:55
read the book Delta Force by Charlie Beckwith. Interesting his take on this op. Especially the bit about being in the pentagon, and hearing all theses people saying 'Delta can do this or that' When 3 weeks before no one had any idea who Delta were.

As was said. The insistance of ALL services being involved was interesting.

Also Beckwith says after the aircraft went u/s. the question from pentagon, whether they could proceed with the plan, after the operation had been pared to the minimum. Beggars belief.

26th Apr 2015, 16:23
'Guest of the Ayatollah' by Mark Bowden (writer of 'Black Hawk Down')

Excerpt: The Desert One Debacle - The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2006/05/the-desert-one-debacle/304803/)