PDA

View Full Version : Chopper Choices

AArkley
21st Apr 2015, 12:15
All,

I am performing a little research into helicopter types and would appreciate your advice. Specifically, my research relates to light-medium rotorcraft which are:
Twin engine
Single pilot operable, preferably IFR
Have a range in excess of 300 miles
As an ideal extra, the crew compartment should be separate from the punters in the back!

I guess the obvious thing out of all of this is the Agusta 109, but they seem perilously expensive! Does anyone have any alternatives?

Cheers,
AA

MichiScholz
21st Apr 2015, 18:50
Dear AA,

maybe a Bo 105 CBS 4 or 5 is an option for you. It is a very reliable Aircraft with an option for range extender tanks. Unfortunately there is no seperation between crew and pax.

best regards

Michael

Flyting
21st Apr 2015, 19:55
MD 902 Explorer with range extender tanks in the boot

nigelh
21st Apr 2015, 21:19
The Agusta 109 is not expensive to run now . Certainly a lot less than a lot of singles such as AS350 . When you allow for it doing 20% more miles in each hour it makes even more sense . If you want to pm me feel free as I have owned many helicopters over the last 30 years and know the costs !!

terminus mos
21st Apr 2015, 21:43
Don't buy a BO105, it will send you broke very quickly. They are very expensive to operate and you won't get any PBH on most parts.

AArkley
22nd Apr 2015, 07:22
The Agusta 109 is not expensive to run now . Certainly a lot less than a lot of singles such as AS350 . When you allow for it doing 20% more miles in each hour it makes even more sense . If you want to pm me feel free as I have owned many helicopters over the last 30 years and know the costs !!

Cheers Nigel, I was less concerned with the operating costs and more with the lease or purchase fees. It seems that a mid priced used A109 will easily go for between £800k and £1.4m!

krypton_john
22nd Apr 2015, 07:27
Less than half that, AArkley,
e.g. 1987 AGUSTA A109A II Turbine Helicopters For Sale At Controller.com (http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/AGUSTA-A109A-II/1987-AGUSTA-A109A-II/1346375.htm)

AArkley
22nd Apr 2015, 07:37
Yep, cheapest one I've seen. I've seen a few around the £400-500k mark but as I say, the majority, mid priced, are upwards of £800k. Good find though - I like the older cockpit!

terminus mos
22nd Apr 2015, 09:01
Sorry, but you would need to have rocks in your head to buy a nearly 30 year old 109A MKII with 2 Allison C20 engines for anything like that kind of money, or any money really.

These aircraft can be very unreliable, difficult (and expensive) to maintain with poor parts availability and if you are relying on it to earn a living, you will be on bread and water! I have seen companies buy a 109 as a corporate aircraft and pop champagne when they were sold. Most of these aircraft do <200 hours per year, factor that into how you might make a living with it.

Even though its too big, you could buy an S76A for $500k. Even S-76A++s are going to the scrapyard these days.

You need to buy something on which you can get a PBH contract and that is simple to own and cheap to maintain. Buy with your head, not your heart, think twice, think again, walk away and see what you can lease before buying any older aircraft.

Of course, you may just have loads of money and want a corporate aircraft, if so, charter when you need it and keep your money in the bank.