PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Boys

Captain Radar....
20th Apr 2015, 09:55
I just saw an ad for a new book 'Phantom Boys' apparently following on from a series of books I must admit I haven't heard of, Lightning Boys, Hunter Boys and, as I browsed around Valiant Boys and Jaguar Boys. I guess if there's one on the Tornado it'd have to be Tornado Boys and Girls but I digress.

Aha I thought, this looks interesting, punchy cover painting of a pair of grey green 23 Sqn F4s at low level in grobbly weather 'true tales from UK operators of the F4....' released 1 Jun in hardback, looks it might be worth a read, order now to get your copy on release.

Then I read the blurb which states that the F4 was used by US demonstration teams Navy Blue Angels and the Air Force's Thundercats.

Kind of puts me off rushing to order a copy, I think I'll wait for a review or two.

Cobra92
20th Apr 2015, 11:42
I'm currently reading Jaguar Boys, I have Buccaneer Boys on the shelf for the near future.

The content of these books is the experiences of the people who flew them and worked on them. They are a thoroughly good read as the perspective is very much from the cockpit - there is a glossary to support the novice and to remind more learned.

Thank you for advising me of the next title, awaiting with interest. Very good armchair read, so go treat yourselves.

noprobs
20th Apr 2015, 18:52
There are quite a few more books in the series; see the publisher Grub Street's website for more details. Phantom Boys is by the same author as some of the other books, but there are several authors, and each book is a compilation of pieces by people associated with that aircraft. Thus, the tone and quality can vary. However, I have enjoyed the ones I've read so far.:)

thing
20th Apr 2015, 20:33
Best book about the F4 I ever read from a pilot's view was Bob Prest's but can I hellers find a copy now.

Of course the best by a nav is by Dave Gledhill...:)

BEagle
20th Apr 2015, 22:22
thing, try http://www.amazon.co.uk/F4-Phantom-Pilots-Robert-Prest/dp/0304303119/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1429568657&sr=1-1&keywords=0304303119 or search for ISBN 0 304 30311 9.

I'm not sure I can forgive Bob for describing the Hunter as 'an ageing lady no longer beautiful but still unique...'

thing
21st Apr 2015, 11:32
Thanks Beag, it wasn't on there last time I looked.

Fox Four
21st Apr 2015, 12:48
Beags is correct, I've just found a copy on Amazon (on some associated bookstore) for £1.83, however a new one will set you back £249.00!!

Compass Call
21st Apr 2015, 21:36
I understand that 'Harrier Boys' is also due on the book shelves later this year:ok:

Courtney Mil
21st Apr 2015, 21:38
It's OK, Compass Call. Most of the Harrier Boys have been on the shelf for years.

RetiredF4
22nd Apr 2015, 06:11
And there is the book about the boys of the Big Cat!

Jaguar Boys: True Tales from Operators of the Big Cat in Peace and War: Amazon.de: Ian Hall: Fremdsprachige Bücher

Phantom Driver
13th Jul 2015, 14:31
I'm not sure I can forgive Bob for describing the Hunter as 'an ageing lady no
longer beautiful but still unique...'

Visited Cosford the other day. Hunter (on the grass, as you enter). Still unique. Still beautiful! (no F4 though; will have to pay another visit to Duxford, or Hendon sometime....:ok:)

Treble one
13th Jul 2015, 15:00
This was launched at IWM Duxford over the weekend, with a lot of former high ranking Harrier pilots there very willing to have a chat and sign your books (including the author).

I did ask whether it was true that Harrier pilots were the 'crème de la creme' of the pilots going through the training system, or was that just something Harrier pilots tell you :}

The author did say that this was true, and had a chapter in Volume two of this tome written by 'a former air defender' to say this was the case ;) ;)

Not read much yet, but very pleasant chaps they were, and very happy to have a chat

TO

Fg Off Bloggs
28th Jul 2015, 12:43
Try Buccaneer Boys if you want an insightful book filled with amusing and raucous events!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Buccaneer-Boys-all-British-bomber/dp/1909166111

Bloggs:D

Buster Hyman
28th Jul 2015, 13:49
Don't look up Lancaster Boys...went to a website that set off my Internet filter!!! :eek::eek::eek:

PingDit
28th Jul 2015, 23:42
'Nimrod Boys' would be an interesting read....

Steve Bond
29th Jul 2015, 12:58
'Meteor Boys' is coming next year....