PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Ground School and English not my mother tongue.

EC DKN
19th Apr 2015, 19:23
Hi people,

I am Spanish PPL with a UK class 1 medical. I am going to move to UK (Bournemouth) to start working alongside doing the ATPLs with BGS (hopefully).

I am wondering how difficult can be for a non native english speaker doing ATPLs distance learning. Bear in mind that I will be working in the UK too.

Thanks in advance.

funkydreadlocks
19th Apr 2015, 20:02
I did training with BGS and i couldn't recommend them highly enough. Yeah it will be a little tough but I've seen plenty of non natives destroy the exams who went with BGS.

One thing they do that i don't like is push for you to take all the exams in each module right after the brush up courses. I say book the exams for whenever YOU feel ready.

Make an extra efforts to learn all the aviation vocab you learned in spanish, in english.

Finally, this video will give you quick tips for optimising your ground school studies

http://youtu.be/NxpOYX9Ozkw

RedBullGaveMeWings
19th Apr 2015, 21:45
English has to be the easiest Language to learn up to the level you need to study your ATPL subjects. You will be totally fine, don't worry.
I suggest you also use the Oxford CBTs, they are well made, there's a voice you could also use to practice your listening, but beware it may make you sleepy... But quality is amazing, especially the Meteorology one.

EC DKN
19th Apr 2015, 23:45
Thank you guys! Actually, I will move to UK as I think it's the best way to improve my level of english. A lot of schools in the UK have recommended me to do the ATPLs full time but I think doing distance learning I can go by myself and deciding if I am ready or not.

RedBullGaveMeWings
20th Apr 2015, 00:59
I believe there are people in Bournemouth that may help you in case you need any help.
Bournemouth is also home to GT-Serv Groundschool, another high quality but less known ATPL provider. You should check them out.
GTS Groundschool (http://www.gtserv.co.uk/)

BCFT has a full-time ATPL groundschool and they should be using Bristol GS notes.

EDIT
Disregard about GT-Serv, apparently they don't offer any ATPL course anymore. Does anybody know why?

EC DKN
20th Apr 2015, 08:05
I think BCFT is using CATS notes.