PDA

View Full Version : Few questions regarding becoming an airline pilot.

Fr3dM
17th Apr 2015, 12:35
1)What happens to jobless pilots? Do they ever get a job or seek other career?

2)How much time it will take to get behind the wheels of an aircraft after finishing CPL training?

3)When should one consider getting ATPL?

4)How much is the salary of an airline pilot? How much time will it take to recover the money spent in training?

5)What happens if an airline pilot becomes medically unfit after flying for good amount of time? Will he loose his job permanently or may resume his job after getting treatment? What kind of medical problems can cause permanent termination of job?

I am planning to opt for career in aviation once I finish with my college degree. I don't have any interest in engineering but I think it is always better to be on safe side if I don't become successful as a pilot (although I am sure I will, only thing is I need proper answer to the above questions).

PS: I live in India and it would be great if anyone can answer me in context of India.

Thanks. Any reply would be appreciated!

redsnail
18th Apr 2015, 11:14
I apologise for not answering WRT India but you'll get an idea.

1. It depends. If they can afford to keep their instrument rating valid, they may get a job. Many don't and drift off into other careers. Exam credits lapse too.

2. Again. It depends on the market. Some people are lucky and pick up a job straight away, others are on a tagged scheme and so picked up when their employer offers a position, others, it can take years. (see point 1.)

3. The ATPL you'll get once you have a minimum of 1,500 hours and whatever else your Authority determines (e.g. 100 night, 500 hours multi crew etc) as well as pass another flight test. You should already have the ATPL exams completed.

4. How long is a piece of string? Salary is dependent on many things. Type of aircraft, position, length of service, type of operation etc. Country etc all are variables.

5. Depending on the condition, they spend some time off getting well, see their Authority for an assessment and hopefully, get their job back. For some conditions, that's it, game over.
Some conditions that are final. Diabetes requiring insulin injections, asthma requiring oral steroids to manage it, some mental conditions, significant deafness/eye sight problems, artificial heart replacement, epilepsy, some brain traumas, some migraines, paralysis etc.

In other words, watch your weight, wear a helmet and eye/hearing protection and keep happy.

Fr3dM
18th Apr 2015, 16:23
Thanks a lot for answering my questions. Few more questions...

How much percentage of candidates who undergo pilot training end up being jobless? Why does it even happen?

Will doing training from a reputed school help in getting job fast?

B2N2
22nd Apr 2015, 19:03
Fr3d,

A lot of people start pilot training for the wrong reasons, mainly in it for the glamour and not for the love of flying.
In the USA, on average, 70% does not finish their PPL training.

Being able to pass written exams and flight tests does not garantee that you have the 'right stuff'.
The right combination of personality, perseverance, character and just plain stupid luck.

Going to a "well known" school is no additional guarantee in itself either.
Unless it's maybe an airline owned academy.

parkfell
22nd Apr 2015, 20:24
Unless you have had a passion to fly since childhood, you should seriously think about whether this occupation is right for you.
If you really really want to do it, you will have no doubts at all.
No other thoughts will cross your mind.
You will simply know it is right for you.

People go into aviation thinking it is a cool thing to do.........wrong.

Ilyushin76
24th Apr 2015, 09:59
Allow me to answer your questions WRT your next door neighbor country.

1)What happens to jobless pilots? Do they ever get a job or seek other career? Some jobless pilots attend Flight Instructor training schools, (additional 30 hours to endorse that rating) and build experience on meager salaries / wages. Sometimes theres no salary at all. Depends. Others stick around, try to opt for Pay 2 Fly programs to get into low cost carriers. Some just wait for the right opportunity (chances of which are quite thing is you don't have "hours" of experience). I personally know some pilots who are pursuing other careers and waiting for a chance to enter airlines. That's how it is. Pilots having experience eventually do get picked up by airlines as far as I have seen.

2)How much time it will take to get behind the wheels of an aircraft after finishing CPL training? That depends entirely on airline requirements. No one can give you a definite answer ;)

3)When should one consider getting ATPL? After you are done with 1500 hours of flight time. ATPL is primarily required for flying heavy category aircraft (A330,A340,B747,B777 etc ) and to command an aircraft. You will be eligible to sit in the ATPL exams after you have 1500 hours. No worries on that. I do not know if India issues a frozen ATPL but here they do not.

4)How much is the salary of an airline pilot? How much time will it take to recover the money spent in training? Depends on the airline, no definite answer again. What I can tell you that flying turboprops pays less than flying jets.

5)What happens if an airline pilot becomes medically unfit after flying for good amount of time? Will he loose his job permanently or may resume his job after getting treatment? What kind of medical problems can cause permanent termination of job? Depends on the medical issue. Serious issues may ground you for life. Some CAA authorities allow the pilot to get his medical fitness and head back to flying. Others (such as some middle eastern carriers) do not give you a second chance. In India I suppose you get a chance to fly again if you get your fitness back. My father lost his job because of a heart condition. So it happens.

I am planning to opt for career in aviation once I finish with my college degree. I don't have any interest in engineering but I think it is always better to be on safe side if I don't become successful as a pilot (although I am sure I will, only thing is I need proper answer to the above questions).

Don't ride two boats at one time. That's my advise to you. If you want to fly, fly properly and enjoy your flying. Your hardwork combined will luck will get you a decent job. If you have an engineering job that pays you well, consider flying as a part time option. ;)

parkfell
24th Apr 2015, 16:15
There is no such licence as a FROZEN ATPL.

Under EASA, you sit the 14 ATPL written papers at the outset, and are issued with a CPL/IR on successful completion of the course.
Once you have the requisite experience, you can then apply for the ATPL.

Fr3dM
25th Apr 2015, 13:18
@Ilyushin76

Thanks for answering my question in detail. I now have most of my doubts cleared.

Ilyushin76
30th Apr 2015, 18:33
You are welcome :)

@parkfell

Thank you for the correction sir.:cool: