PDA

View Full Version : The former Redhill Bristow training school destroyed by fire.

HOGE
14th Apr 2015, 05:26
Redhill Aerodrome fire destroys Old Main Block building (http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/redhill-aerodrome-fire-destroys-old-9030259)

The fire was spotted by a Kent, Surrey and Sussex Air Ambulance crew who were coming in to land at the site
A major fire has destroyed an office building at Redhill Aerodrome.

Up to 10 fire crews from across Surrey and Sussex were called to the Terminal Building at around 2am on Monday when the blaze - which was seen from the air by a Kent, Surrey and Sussex Air Ambulance crew - broke out at the Old Main Block.

Firefighters used four water carriers and breathing apparatus to access the building, as well as an aerial platform ladder from Horsham.

A spokesman for Reigate fire station had initially said the blaze spread to a cafeteria, but a statement later released by aerodrome manager Philip Wright said no damage was caused to any other property.

"No-one was on site at the time," Mr Wright added.

"The fire was spotted by the Kent, Surrey and Sussex Air Ambulance as it came in to land.

"Surrey Fire and Rescue Service were alerted and a critical incident declared.

"The fire was quickly brought under control and no damage was caused to other property. Unfortunately the Old Main Block is totally destroyed.

"Redhill Aerodrome Limited is working with both the aviation and non-aviation tenants to provide temporary accommodation and assist them in keeping their businesses running.

"The Chef on the Road Cafe is closed until further notice."

A Surrey Fire & Rescue Service spokesman said: "We were called to a fire at Redhill Aerodrome at 1.48am and when we arrived at the scene there were two buildings well alight.

"At its height, eight fire engines and a number of special units attended.

"A fire investigation will now take place to establish the cause of the blaze."

The fire was not thought to be suspicious, but a crew was expected to remain on site for most of the day while the cause is investigated.

terminus mos
14th Apr 2015, 11:28
What a shame. So many memories.

212man
14th Apr 2015, 12:00
What a shame. So many memories.

I suspect many Ppruners will be thinking the same thing - I certainly did when I saw the news last night. :(

soggyboxers
14th Apr 2015, 14:22
Yes, indeed; I have so many happy memories of my years there.

Dennis Kenyon
14th Apr 2015, 20:10
So sad to hear the news ...

Looking at my log book, I see that in November 1952, as an RAF 'sprog' cadet pilot, I flew a Chipmunk ex-10 BFTS Anstey (Coventry) to Redhill Aerodrome and taxied up the gentle incline to park outside the old building. Some pruners will know, I returned to Redhill with my Starline Helicopters business some forty years later to set up business in Hangar One. (Two & Three)

Happy memories are all we COFs have left now. Warm wishes to all. Dennis K.

griffothefog
15th Apr 2015, 19:38
Did my 1179 check there on the Bell 47g4A with Stan Sollitt in 83, place probably needs a makeover by now :E

Buttocknurdler
18th Apr 2015, 22:19
http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q761/Buttocknurdler/Pprune/image_zps1uqign1e.jpg

Helilife100
19th Apr 2015, 05:54
I am sad to see that John Cottons Academy is gone. I had a nostalgia trip to Redhill the other month and noted that the old place had taken on the undulations of the ground. Still, I am not as shocked at this loss to our Bristow history as I was when the Heliclub burnt down 'mysteriously'. I would give my right kna*cker to be able to stroll into there now for a pie and a pint and to put Bachman Turner Overdrive on the juke box (Jack Church really hated that one).

Sloppy Link
19th Apr 2015, 06:50
How much for the picnic table?

terminus mos
19th Apr 2015, 07:26
I don't suppose old Les Craven left one of his cigarettes burning?

Grumpyasever
19th Apr 2015, 12:25
Stopped by a couple of weeks ago and it was sad enough to see the old stamping ground and now it is no more! Wonder what has happened to all the ghosts that wandered there?:{

OvertHawk
19th Apr 2015, 16:15
The fire was probably started by the heat generated by those old ghosts spinning in their graves! :hmm:

TipCap
20th Apr 2015, 15:49
Sad to see the picture of the remains of the Flying School. When I joined in 1968, it wasn't built

Tony Mabelis
20th Apr 2015, 16:31
It was not there when I joined Bristows in January 1967.
Tony

Oldlae
21st Apr 2015, 07:54
John, Tony, I always thought that the old main building was a war time construction, it was certainly there in 1969. I'm sure Alan Bristow had his office there at one time.

terminus mos
21st Apr 2015, 09:39
It was re furbished and the lease was taken by Bristow in the late 60s after the management offices moved out of Hangar 7

H7 was then made into Purchasing and Serialised Components on one side and Packing and Shipping on the other side.

Management moved up to this building which became "Main Block" and occupied it until the "new" Building was built in about 1973 Thereafter the old Main Block became the Ground School.

aeromys
21st Apr 2015, 15:15
Fascinating history. Hangar 3 (airside) is now an NPAS base.

Tony Mabelis
21st Apr 2015, 15:46
There were always wooden buildings up the top of the airfield left over from the wartime or just after, before Bristows got involved with training schools etc.

A couple were used by John Blyth, who ran a welding and paint spraying business.

Then there was Tony Shall who owned a company supplying catering to the local hospitals, most of which were large cans of tinned fruit and vegetables.
I worked for him in my school holidays, my job was to pick the required cans from the shelves, and make up the consignment for delivery.
This job was made interesting by having the occasional can 'Blow' while you were in close proximity............those huts got very hot in the summer.

Another business that was in the wooden buildings was Reliance Automatics,
churning out small components on capstan lathes. I worked there too, lasted about a week ( so bloody boring) before going down to Bristows and working in the packing dept with Dave Ware.............much more fun!!
Jack Wooley never forgave me for miss addressing two sea freight boxes, one to Trinidad, and one to New Zealand......it took about 9 months to rectify my cock up.
Tony

Oldlae
22nd Apr 2015, 08:17
When I went to Malaysia in 1969, some of my goods went into storage with Pickfords and they were placed in one of the old buildings. In later years, the Tech Library and the Chief Inspector used some of the space for archives which was filled with old aircraft logbooks, I wonder if they have been destroyed?

TipCap
24th Apr 2015, 19:58
I seemed to remember that on my initial interview in June 68 with Alan Green, it was in offices in a hangar next to the old control tower. I am sure the "Old Man" was in there too.

It was there that Pete Richards gave me my first ferry task to Morocco with a Hiller 12E - G-AWME :ok:

Oldlae
25th Apr 2015, 08:08
Terminus, Alan Bristow's office was in Hangar 5 not H3 which was maintenance. H4 was the Chelsea School until it contained the Bristow FTS. H3 eventually became the Transport department after we all moved to the present main block and hangar and H5 was Logistics. Transport was in the Blister hangar across the airfield.
John you would have taken the Hiller from H3.

terminus mos
25th Apr 2015, 09:13
Oldlae, I think you have your hangars mixed up. H5 had the trenches dug for the S-61 and became the transport department and was the major maintenance hangar until the move to the main block. H6 was the FTS H7 became Serialised Components, Purchasing and Logistics.

Ongoing Saga
25th Apr 2015, 09:35
A sad sight. I started with Bill Calthrop in that building back in the early 70's. Bristow was just starting its big expansion and the 'new' building was under-way next door. All that history lost. That's life I guess. Regards to all.

Oldlae
26th Apr 2015, 08:32
Sorry, terminus, had a senior moment.

TipCap
27th Apr 2015, 07:18
We all get them Oldlae although I note you are 8 years older than me and I am struggling :ok: