PDA

View Full Version : Caravan IFR ASEPTA VS multi

Bluemeaway
9th Apr 2015, 07:12
Hi guys,

Does anyone on here in airline check and training or a position that knows.

With the 500 multi becoming harder and harder to achieve with the multi jobs getting less and replaced by the caravan.

Will airlines in the future be adjusting their hiring Requirements in relation to the candidate having say 500 multi piston or 500 turbine in a caravan on IFR etc?

It's very frustrating for me at the moment with a thousand hours IFR on a van and struggling to find a multi gig, is there any light at the end of the tunnel for this?.

Thanks in advance :-s

FoolCorsePich
9th Apr 2015, 07:36
What world are you living on son? There is no way a caravan driver would have the aptitude to pass a type rating and line check in a high capacity twin. You need all that asymmetric time all the twin guys have had. A lot of engine failures happening these days you know?

GTang
9th Apr 2015, 12:26
Airlines in Australia are hiring?

prospector
9th Apr 2015, 20:17
Thousand hours IFR in a Van? Must be really crappy weather a lot of the time where you operate!!

Going Nowhere
9th Apr 2015, 20:26
IFR and IMC are different remember...

FoolCorsePich
9th Apr 2015, 21:52
I don't mean any offence by this, but your problem is, turbine or not, it's still a single engine.

Aren't you a smart little cookie?

Mach E Avelli
10th Apr 2015, 02:58
Multi time is a bit of a crock. After all, how much of that time is spent with an engine failed or simulated failed? Three eighths of five eighths of F.A.
Of more relevance should be the speed and complexity of the equipment and due consideration to the demands of the operation. One hour of IFR in PNG is worth 100 of VFR carting tourists around on scenics under a blue Oz sky.

RequestAsymmetrics
10th Apr 2015, 10:28
A lot of my multi time was spent with the engine failed (or zero drag power set) with my legs bursting at the seams. Even though it's only a light piston twin I reckon the technique required to squeeze out whatever little performance remains is worth more than anything with auto feather, a second pilot or guaranteed performance.

deadcut
10th Apr 2015, 10:46
A lot of my multi time was spent with the engine failed (or zero drag power set) with my legs bursting at the seams.

So 30 hours during your MECIR training? You know everyone has to do that right?

Bankrupt84
10th Apr 2015, 19:58
It's a complete joke the multi requirement. I have finally got my first multi gig (404) and I can't believe this was such a big deal (it's not).

I also have 1200hrs on caravans (500 in PNG). I learnt more from that than any other flying I have done.

Best of luck in finding the multi job, you might have to take a step back to a operator with 206s, 210s that has multi engines to progress onto.

Keep in mind that chances of a airline job are pretty grim now in Australia.

lilflyboy262...2
11th Apr 2015, 04:58
@Bankrupt, In the same boat as you. Specially after flying the EX van which is faster than a lot of the small piston twins.

@wasa... yes! The caravan can take you around the world quite easily and earn you some good money while doing it.