PDA

View Full Version : Clarify IFR alternate and when to select 2 alternates.

rpetersson
8th Apr 2015, 19:35
Ok can someone clarify the rules or point out if im wrong in these statements.

1. You always need atleast 1 alternate unless your flying to an isolated aerodome.

2. You need 2 alternates when planning and at the ETA it is scheduled to below the operating minimas for the aerodome one hour prior and after OR there are no met reports available for the destination.

What confuses me alittle is the text from EASA OPS "The operator shall only select the destination aerodrome when" does this imply you dont need an alt?:

(b) Planning minima for a destination aerodrome other than an isolated destination aerodrome

The operator shall only select the destination aerodrome when:
(1) the appropriate weather reports and/or forecasts indicate that, during a period commencing one hour before and ending one hour after the estimated time of arrival at the aerodrome, the weather conditions will be at or above the applicable planning minima as follows:[/B]
(i) RVR/visibility (VIS) specified in accordance with CAT.OP.MPA.110; and
(ii) for an NPA or a circling operation, the ceiling at or above MDH;
or
(2) two destination alternate aerodromes are selected.

nick14
9th Apr 2015, 10:31
You are planned to an airport and can only legally dispatch if that airport has the required weather or you must select two alternate airports which are at or above planning minima.

You don't always need an alternate if your destination is VMC I believe.

rpetersson
9th Apr 2015, 10:43
Yeah what i concluded is that you dont need an alternate if the aerodrome is less than 6 hours away and that it has 2 separate runways and that the ceiling is 2000 feet or circling minima + 500' + visibility of 5km. Or that it is an isolated aerodrome.

You do need 2 alternates if the destination aerodrome has weather below minima +/- 1 hour or there are no met reports available.

latecoere240
9th Apr 2015, 15:52
One destination alternate for IFR flight unless :
1) Duration of flight less than 6 hours (from take off to landing)
2) 2 separate runways available and useable at destination. Each runway should have its own approach procedure based on separate NAVAIDs.
3) Appropriate weather forecast at destination airport indicates that for 1 hour either side of ETA the ceiling will be 2000 ft or circling height + 500 ft > Whichever the greater
4) Visibility > 5 KM

- The destination is isolated and no adequate alternate exists

2 destination alternate aerodrome should be selected when weather report or forecasts indicate that for 1 hour either side of ETA, the weather at destination airport will be below planning minima or no meteorological information is available.