PDA

View Full Version : Katana DA20-A1 problems

robhutch14
8th Apr 2015, 15:04
Having some problems with our Katana DA20, specifically the rotax 912 engine. originally went in due to loss of power in the climb out, and so went in for an engine service. However, after 2 other engine repairs, the problem has not gone away. The fuel lines have been changed, carbs cleaned and balanced, fuel changed, propeller checked, and nothing seems to work. Even more annoyingly, the engine operates perfectly well in the power checks on the ground, however, the moment it starts to climb out it loses power and climbs at about 200ft/m. Would love any possible solutions we haven't thought of, or if anyone has any advice or similar problems.

creweite
8th Apr 2015, 15:48
Could it be a fuel flow problem? , Blocked fuel tank vents, fuel pump problem, or perhaps air flow somehow lowering fuel level in the carb once you get under way.

I see you are in Guildford. Do you fly out of Fairoaks? I once had half of the Surrey police force out after I landed my Turb upside down in a field of barley after an engine failure, near the Hogsback! Long time ago!

bartonflyer
8th Apr 2015, 16:50
My bet would be fuel flow - there are known issues with the floats on a particular range of carburettors.

This may help (different aircraft I know, but same engine)

Rotax 912 power loss - Engine/Rotax - CT Flier Forum (http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/2986-rotax-912-power-loss/)

rnzoli
8th Apr 2015, 17:06
he engine operates perfectly well in the power checks on the ground, however, the moment it starts to climb out it loses power
How about a ground power check, where the aircraft is secured in a nose-up climb-out attitude? :suspect:

Genghis the Engineer
8th Apr 2015, 17:19
What prop do you have fitted? What RPM are you getting full throttle on the ground, and when it's losing power on climbout? Has anybody done a recent fuel oversupply test?

G