PDA

View Full Version : Teaching IFR

smorg
29th Mar 2015, 17:02
Hi all,

I hope I'm in the right place to ask this. I was wondering how IFR is taught in countries where cloud does not exist, E.G. not the UK. This is just a general question as I have seen on TV a student with, what looks like, a KFC bucket on their head that has been blanked out.
Is this the standard method or was i watching a clip from 20 years ago.

Many thank in advance.

Paul

yxcvmnb
29th Mar 2015, 17:46
By wearing those funky "IFR simulating glasses" or simply covering the windshield.

Whopity
29th Mar 2015, 18:52
IFR is a set of rules that has nothing to do with cloud! Instrument flying can be taught using simulators and mechanical devices to prevent the student looking out however; you do not need to be in IMC to teach instrument skills, in fact its better not to be in IMC..

wantobe
13th Apr 2015, 11:39
We use a device known as a hood in this part of the world mate.

http://www.tagpilotsupply.com/ProductImagesNew/G-M/H2G.jpg

thing
13th Apr 2015, 12:05
I made my own.

http://nationaltreasures.nla.gov.au/xpf/sites/Treasures/media/glyph/items/nla.int-ex13-s2-item.jpg

TheOddOne
13th Apr 2015, 14:11
IFR is a set of rules that has nothing to do with cloud!

Thank you, Whopity, this needs banging into people's heads.

Unfortunately, this seems to have crept up as a confusion recently, what with the requirement in some places for so many hours 'IFR flight' to be able to teach flight by sole reference to instruments. Unless I've mis-interpreted stuff I've read recently, in some places you have to have an IR in order to be able to fly in accordance with the Instrument Flight Rules. That's in a country that's notoriously flat.

Anyhow, we use a hood; rather have screens but not an option for us. We have excellent RADAR cover and no airspace issues so we can go cloud flying for greater realism. Using a map or similar to cover the windscreen is a no-no as it obscures the instructor/safety pilot's view.

TOO

BillieBob
13th Apr 2015, 16:31
Unless I've mis-interpreted stuff I've read recently, in some places you have to have an IR in order to be able to fly in accordance with the Instrument Flight Rules.That is now the case throughout Europe, some of which is not so flat.

thing
13th Apr 2015, 17:37
Quote:
Unless I've mis-interpreted stuff I've read recently, in some places you have to have an IR in order to be able to fly in accordance with the Instrument Flight Rules.
That is now the case throughout Europe, some of which is not so flat.

Is this true? I've always thought (in the UK at any rate) that anyone could fly IFR as long as they met the restrictions of their license.

Level Attitude
13th Apr 2015, 22:28
Quote:
Unless I've mis-interpreted stuff I've read recently, in some places you have to have an IR in order to be able to fly in accordance with the Instrument Flight Rules.
That is now the case throughout Europe, some of which is not so flat.Is this true? I've always thought (in the UK at any rate) that anyone could fly IFR as long as they met the restrictions of their license.A pilot with an EASA Licence may not fly IFR unless they also have a valid IR of some description.
FCL.600 IR — General
Operations under IFR on an aeroplane, helicopter, airship or powered-lift aircraft shall only be conducted by holders of a PPL, CPL, MPL and ATPL with an IR appropriate to the category of aircraft or when undergoing skill testing or dual instruction.
The holder of a UK national PPL/CPL/ATPL may fly IFR according to the "restrictions of their license" - basically outside CAS and in VMC.
HOWEVER this would only apply when flying Annexe II aircraft as the Licence is only valid for LAPL privileges when flying Annexe I (EASA) aircraft.

Whopity
13th Apr 2015, 23:29
A pilot with an EASA Licence may not fly IFR unless they also have a valid IR of some description.As has been the case for JAA licences since 1999!
I've always thought (in the UK at any rate) that anyone could fly IFR as long as they met the restrictions of their license. A common misconception; since 1999 a new restriction was applied to JAA licences requiring compliance with JAR-FCL 1.175 which stated:(a) The holder of a pilot licence (A) shall
not act in any capacity as a pilot of an aeroplane
under Instrument Flight Rules (IFR), except as a
pilot undergoing skill testing or dual training,
unless the holder has an instrument rating
(IR(A)) appropriate to the category of aircraft
issued in accordance with JAR–FCL. Para (b) included National ratings such as the IMC so long as they were confined to the State of issue. Para (a) was transferred to EASA but para (b) was not, hence all the issues with the IMC rating.

thing
15th Apr 2015, 12:14
Thanks for that. So just to put me straight as an EASA PPL holder with an IR(R) I can fly IFR in the UK only?

Whopity
15th Apr 2015, 21:14
Correct.

IN2015-009(iv) the holder of the IR(R) must not fly as pilot in command or co-pilot of an aeroplane outside the airspace of the United Kingdom in circumstances which require compliance with the instrument flight rules.

thing
16th Apr 2015, 06:49
Thanks for that.