PDA

View Full Version : The RAF's new 1000mph project

MATELO
28th Mar 2015, 23:00
https://www.youtube.com/embed/WA4ICxlQ_cE?list=PLuKBW1W_yh1kupsaWDr_kgNqI3xL48Oxa

onetrack
28th Mar 2015, 23:12
Ha! Typhoon jet engines fitted to cars are last centurys obsolete technology!

If you want to go like a rocket, you fit a rocket motor!!

Here's Nobles and the RAF's nemesis, from down under ...

Aussie Invader (http://www.aussieinvader.com/)

And here's the man behind it - the current Australian speed record holder at 642mph ...

Ross McGlashan (http://www.bluebird-electric.net/aussie_invader.htm)

Easy Street
29th Mar 2015, 00:17
Did you watch the video?! The Brits have a Typhoon engine AND a rocket! Eat our dirt, Aussie!

camelspyyder
29th Mar 2015, 00:17
Wow! those guys are all nutters.

I expect the cheapest one will win: -

North American Eagle "using the next generation of technology to break the world LSR"

That'll be a 60 year old F104 with the flying sufaces hacksawed off then :)

At least that fuselage is proven at 1000mph+, unlike Bloodhound or Aussie Knock-Off 5R (did you see how all his cars look the same as previous record holders, but with a bigger donk shoved in?)

Good luck to all 3 teams -you're all mad.

Mr C Hinecap
29th Mar 2015, 00:28
Given that the RAF only have an old engine and the driver involved, the success of Bloodhound may well rest in the hands of the REME personnel who are providing a lot of the engineering capability.

onetrack
29th Mar 2015, 01:49
camelspyyder - No, the bloke with the biggest wheelbarrow to wheel his cojones around in, is the one who will win.

They are all simply nutters building missiles and then strapping themselves to them.

A lot of the speed record chasers have died in their pursuit of records - and with 1000mph as the aim today, the risks are higher than ever.

The greatest single problem they all face is finding a satisfactory, billiard-ball surface with the necessary long distances required.
Even the slightest imperfection in the surface can send the vehicle out of control once the speed starts to get over 300 or 400 mph.

Dash8driver1312
29th Mar 2015, 06:52
Matelo....just a query...this one has been in the news for years, so where have you been all this time?

P6 Driver
29th Mar 2015, 08:00
Not entirely sure that it's a Royal Air Force project...

BLOODHOUND SSC (http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/)

I thought it had British military involvement rather than ownership.

Lima Juliet
29th Mar 2015, 08:22
Chinecap

You're wrong about "RAF involvement is just an old engine and the driver". The REME (I think there are 6 of them) are augmenting 71(IR) Sqn for some of the hands on jobs - RAF Wittering - 71 (IR) Squadron (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafwittering/aboutus/71irsquadron.cfm)

LJ

Edit: having just looked on the website, it is a 50/50 share RAF/REME from what I can see. http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/raf-engineers-build-the-worlds-fastest-tail-fin-27032015 and http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/raf-typhoon-engine-fitted-to-the-worlds-fastest-car-27032015

Kitbag
29th Mar 2015, 08:44
I think the biggest issue for this amazing engineering attempt, assuming the car stays upright, on the ground and under control, will be doing the turnround; recover the vehicle, return it to the end of the measured track, refuel it, make sure nothing important has fallen off and get it to the other end again in less than than 1 hour. If anyone pulls this off they deserve a round of applause.

Heathrow Harry
29th Mar 2015, 10:19
They've got Mr O'Leary as a consultant on that bit........... he'll also make sure the driver doesn't carry any excess baggage without paying for it.....

charliegolf
29th Mar 2015, 11:06
They've got Mr O'Leary as a consultant on that bit........... he'll also make sure the driver doesn't carry any excess baggage without paying for it.....

And no seat!

CG

MATELO
29th Mar 2015, 12:12
Shame they couldn't use the original bloodhound and just and 4 wheels to that.....

Alber Ratman
29th Mar 2015, 12:33
RAF personnel have been heavily involved in the last 3 successful LSR attempts. RAF Binbrook's engine bay saved the Thrust 2 project after Noble trashed the only Avon 301 that team had, Thrust SSC had Dead Dog and a few other RAF personnel involved in the build and the Jordan/ Nevada enterprises and it is good to see 71 (IR) involved in the sheetie work for Bloodhound (and others will be involved again with Dead Dog).. I knew it as RSS. Bloodhound is likely to succeed. Aussie Invader III will break Aussie Invaders Aussie record.. NAE adds humour..

snippy
29th Mar 2015, 12:43
As an aside. In the 90's I was down south with a certain bloodhound driver when he and his Nav walked into a Lineys bar wearing suits & ties.......cue cut off ties.........and an encounter between a drivers nose and some groundcrew teeth........happy days:O

Alber Ratman
29th Mar 2015, 15:08
The interesting bit, if it survives the first 1000 run, is changing a complete rocket engine pack within that one hour..

Coltishall. loved it
29th Mar 2015, 16:55
where did the Cpl get them "grey ovies" from? I want a one

ShotOne
29th Mar 2015, 17:40
no doubt the major sponsors who have coughed up big bucks will be surprised to read that this has become "The RAF's" 1000 mph project; while some RAF personnel have certainly leant their valuable help, so have thousands of others and describing it as the RAF's project is a bit misleading

farmpilot
29th Mar 2015, 18:40
The track is ready, we've been working on it for the last five years. 320 people picking up stones, by hand. The biggest employer in an area with 98% unemployment. The Bloodhound project has already changed peoples lives for good in the area.

Alber Ratman
29th Mar 2015, 19:33
Very much a civilian project.. A Noble one at that. He may have failed with other projects but his LSR ones have not. :)

snippy
29th Mar 2015, 20:20
Re Grey 'Ovies......standard issue now....oh and Techies do this new thing where they fuel and kick tyres for a couple of years then go back for further training and appos are no more....the RAF has moved on......:ugh:

thing
29th Mar 2015, 21:30
Shame they couldn't use the original bloodhound and just and 4 wheels to thatMight have been a 'G ' problem. The Bloody was doing Mach 1 in it's own length on launch, around 25 feet if memory serves correctly...or nought to 760mph in around 0.025 of a second...eat your heart out Veryon owners...

Easy Street
29th Mar 2015, 21:43
ShotOne - there's no need to get defensive.... the RAF link was introduced by our Aussie friend at post #2 who clearly didn't have much of a clue about the Bloodhound project! All the other responses were to Mr CH who thought it was a good idea to introduce some inter-service banter... I don't think anyone involved even begins to claim that it is an "RAF project".

Alber Ratman
29th Mar 2015, 22:41
Bloodhound was never was supersonic in its own length off the launcher.. Seeing one of my relations is one of the leading authorities on the thing and told me it is a myth.. Didn't take much more distance before it was, but I'm sure it was near 400 MPH in that distance. Of course, faster than a Veyron and still accelerating.

camelspyyder
30th Mar 2015, 00:05
onetrack

A lot of the speed record chasers have died in their pursuit of records

You'd probably be surprised how few outright LSR contenders have actually died during attempts, especially postwar.

Atholl Graham & Glen Leasher in the early '60's are the only 2.

(Pre war Dario Resta, Parry-Thomas, Frank Lockhart, Lee Bible, Bernd Rosemeyer)

hoofie
30th Mar 2015, 03:34
Speaking as someone who lives in Perth, I don't think Aussie Invader realistically has a chance. It's a bloke in a shed operation compared to Bloodhound who have some serious funding and engineering support. That's not to denigrate their efforts but the Bloodhound mob are operating at a different level.

They have the form of the previous successful attempt so they are not going entirely into the unknown.

Mind you I still wouldn't drive either of them and full credit to anyone who is prepared to strap something like that on and go for it.

dmussen
30th Mar 2015, 06:20
Prey,
What is the point.
Perhaps someone could do a supersonic pink pig flying backwards off the south coast.
Quick, ring Barnes in Heaven and get him on the drawing board.:8

ShotOne
30th Mar 2015, 07:55
"What is the point?" Good question. Let me answer it:

The bloodhound project isn't "just" about going at 1000mph. It aims to give young people an idea what can be achieved through training, teamwork and application. To provide a positive example of the importance of engineering and science. To encourage a "can-do" attitude. To provide an educational programme linked with hundreds of schools running related projects. And to show we can! And it hasn't cost one penny of taxpayers money.

ExRAFRadar
30th Mar 2015, 07:59
That'll be a 60 year old F104 with the flying sufaces hacksawed off then

They really need a Like button. Have one of these for making me laugh.

:D

lasernigel
30th Mar 2015, 09:42
And here's the man behind it - the current Australian speed record holder at 642mph ...

Yep Aussies are obsolete technology, it is held by Andy Green at 763.035 mph.

The REME (I think there are 6 of them) are augmenting 71(IR) Sqn for some of the hands on jobs

The RAF lads probably don't want to get their overalls or hands dirty!

MAINJAFAD
30th Mar 2015, 11:32
Might have been a 'G ' problem. The Bloody was doing Mach 1 in it's own length on launch, around 25 feet if memory serves correctly...or nought to 760mph in around 0.025 of a second...eat your heart out Veryon owners...

The Mach 1 in its own length is a load of b0ll0cks. The missile air frame was only stressed to 35g and the boost motors only produced 20-21g of acceleration which got it to Mach 1.8 (Mk 1) in 2.8 Seconds or Mach 2.2 (Mk 2) in 3.8 Seconds with a slant range of around 4000 - 5000 feet. Still crushing though.

Molemot
30th Mar 2015, 13:31
Dizzy Addicott had a project to attempt the land speed record in a Supermarine Swift which had had the wings removed, so the idea of using an aeroplane fuselage isn't new!!

onetrack
30th Mar 2015, 13:39
Yep Aussies are obsolete technology, it is held by Andy Green at 763.035 mphRead the statement again. It says Rosco McGlashan is the Australian Land Speed Record holder. Andy Green is the World Land Speed Record holder.
McGlashan is not claiming to be the World Land Speed Record holder. He certainly is intending to have a good crack at it, though.

Willard Whyte
30th Mar 2015, 16:15
You'd probably be surprised how few outright LSR contenders have actually died during attempts, especially postwar.

Atholl Graham & Glen Leasher in the early '60's are the only 2.

Indeed, Art Arfons (http://saltflats.com/arfons_memorial.htm) probably holds the record for the highest speed crash survived in one of his 'Green Monster' cars - ~610 mph!

http://www.efairborn.com/images/Mayenschein/GreenMonster/GreenMonster_Crash_1966.jpg
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/gregwapling/hot-rods-down-under/land-speed-racing-history/green-monster/green-monster-034.jpg

the right front-wheel bearing seized, pitching the car into a series of rolls that scattered it over four and a half miles of salt.

Craig Breedlove survived a somewhat slower (200mph) crash when the braking 'chute failed:

https://mission1k.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/spirit-22.jpg

Well, the North American Eagle looks great (in a photoshop kind of way). Amazing what a lick of paint can do.

https://mission1k.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/s050ai-b021.jpg?w=430&h=288

As for 'Sonic Wind', gotta love a project headed by a fella called Waldo Stakes.

thing
30th Mar 2015, 17:43
The Mach 1 in its own length is a load of b0ll0cks.Blame the Bloody instructors then not me...:). Was doing the RTFS course at Newton where the Bloodhound school was. One of the Blood staff told me that one the naughty little tinker.

Alber Ratman
30th Mar 2015, 18:02
NAE likes to misbehave above 300 MPH, like stay on a straight line. Craig Breedlove's last SOA decided to lift off one wheel and swerve off course at 675 MPH damaging the car in 1996. Its the Water Speed Record that has killed the most record holders, Henry Segrave, John Cobb, Donald Campbell and Lee Taylor.

MAINJAFAD
30th Mar 2015, 18:29
Blame the Bloody instructors then not me.... Was doing the RTFS course at Newton where the Bloodhound school was. One of the Blood staff told me that one the naughty little tinker.

I think that little porky did start at Newton, along with some of the other stuff that is totally BS about the Mutt like the Con Rod warhead took out formations of aircraft (it could take a formation out if said formation is the Blue Angels, Dead Sparrows would be on right on the limit). Last RTFS course was going through there went I was on the old BH course.

MAINJAFAD
30th Mar 2015, 18:37
Craig Breedlove survived a somewhat slower (200mph) crash when the braking 'chute failed:

Craig Breedlove's first words on being rescued from that crash are a classic :D

Willard Whyte
30th Mar 2015, 18:44
"And for my next trick!"

thing
30th Mar 2015, 20:53
Last RTFS course was going through there went I was on the old BH course.

Think I was on one of the last; early '85.

camelspyyder
30th Mar 2015, 22:57
North American Eagle - an apology.

I was a little harsh calling NAE "A 60 year-old F104 with the flying surfaces hacked off"

Its BU number starts with 56 so technically "A 59 year-old etc..." is more accurate.

Danny42C
30th Mar 2015, 23:25
Still small voice:

Shot One,

Your #28: "And it hasn't cost one penny of taxpayers money"

I'm a simple soul. Please explain. (If not, how are we involved at all ? - and if we are, how do we justify it when we can't afford the Air Force we've got, never mind buy any more).

Having said that, jolly good luck to the chap in the hot seat on the day, but sooner him than me !

D.

MAINJAFAD
31st Mar 2015, 01:33
"And for my next trick!"

I actually pulled that trick once as a 13 year old while trying to put out a chip pan fire, after inadvertently leaving the gas cooker lit under it after lighting a candle to stretch some sprue for a model. The model was a Airfix Bloodhound!!!!

Mr C Hinecap
31st Mar 2015, 02:52
All the other responses were to Mr CH who thought it was a good idea to introduce some inter-service banter...

It was more a reflection of my frustration that, whilst the Army and REME in particular got it together and got involved, the RAF were rather sniffy and arms-length with the whole thing. Given I was the only RAF in a land populated by Brown Jobs at the time, I was gutted that something of this nature was of more interest to the Army.

ShotOne
31st Mar 2015, 07:04
"A lot of speed record chasers died in the pursuit of their records.." I'm astonished that someone has taken issue with this statement, (although they did narrow the wording to "absolute land"); even then, 20 seconds on Google gave me a list of 35 fatalities just at Bonneville.