PDA

View Full Version : Spikka Da Engleesh ''O'' Level

condor17
26th Mar 2015, 18:12
Hi guys , any wise ''old'' owl out there that might know the answer to the following ?
I'm a full FI , but more relevant I'm our ATO's Ground examiner [ GR { A }] . I am NOT a Flight examiner .
Can I sign the '' speaking English to Level 6certificate '' ? ....................
or is only a Flight Examiner permitted to sign it ?

I've emailed ''our man'' at the CAA ....but no reply !

Thanks in advance for all advice , if references are known , they would be useful .

rgds condor .

ifitaintboeing
26th Mar 2015, 18:27
As a GR only, no you can't sign a Language Proficency Endorsement. See Standards Document 51, para 2.4

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_lts_Std%20Doc%2051V1_21122012.pdf

ifitaint...

condor17
26th Mar 2015, 20:43
ifitaint ,
Thanks very much for reassuring me . Thanks also for the ref ... I'd seen it B4 , but old and gray etc.
We had a pilot come up today requesting language assessment , and when I declined claiming a GR was not qualified and he needed an FE .... I was in receipt of a very old fashioned look ! ........ Thought I'd better check again . So that's a beer I owe you ...

rgds condor .

TheOddOne
27th Mar 2015, 10:35
Condor17,

Become a Radio Telephony examiner and then you can!

Oops - you can't at the moment, for some reason all applications have been suspended! It appears to be something to do with re-designing the exam to reduce infringements. I'd have thought it would have been better to concentrate on Nav training and examining.

Like you, I'm a FI but not a FE. However, I'm a RTF Examiner but not a GR, so I can do the Comm written but not the other 8 papers, but I CAN sign the Level 6 paperwork.

Soon I can APPLY to be able to sign revalidations - why can't this be granted automatically? It'd make the process so much simpler, conduct the revalidation flight and sign the paperwork, instead of signing the logbook and sending the pilot to find a FE.

Barmy, the whole thing is barmy.

TOO

Whopity
27th Mar 2015, 19:53
It appears to be something to do with re-designing the exam to reduce infringementsOr even returning to continuous assessment which I heard on a recent Belgrano visit!

TheOddOne
27th Mar 2015, 22:27
Or even returning to continuous assessment which I heard on a recent Belgrano visit!

I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier statement.

In my opinion, continuous assessment did major damage to the quality of radio telephony in the UK.

TOO

Whopity
28th Mar 2015, 15:14
I agree, but it seems the CAA are in a bit of a Tizwaz over the whole thing. It seems the ability to speak English is more important than knowing what to say!

TheOddOne
29th Mar 2015, 09:18
Perhaps they've run out of people to make assessments of examiners' suitability. AFAIK, the only time a Registered Training Facility (RTF) is visited is to assess its suitability for the conduct of Radio Telephony (RTF) exams.

(I thought we weren't supposed to have 1 acronym with 2 meanings?)

TO

BigEndBob
2nd Apr 2015, 09:09
I don't think the practical exam has made the slightest difference to the quality of r/t.
It's down to how good the Flying Instructor was at teaching along the way.
I have heard dreadful r/t from Commercial instructors.
Basic r/t could be written down on one sheet of A4 paper.

One way to stop infringements is to mandate six month compass swings!

Nearly every aircraft I have I have sat in the compass has been off.
We had one aircraft come back from service with new compass installed that was 25 degrees off!

TheOddOne
2nd Apr 2015, 13:14
Nearly every aircraft I have I have sat in the compass has been off.

Headsets on coamings. Pet hate. Scratches the windscreen, as well.

TOO