PDA

View Full Version : LASIK and UK Class One Medical

EMB-145LR
24th Mar 2015, 14:10
I'm currently flying for an airline in the USA on my FAA licence, but received the good news that I've been accepted for my dream job back in the UK. I'll probably start in a little over four months.

Over here in the US it is acceptable to have LASIK and return to flying within about 48 hours. I know the UK is a little more stringent, and I've heard 3 months is the timeframe.

I am scheduled for LASIK later this week and am now wondering whether I should go ahead? Do I need to inform the CAA prior to having it done? I have a current UK Class One. What steps are required to return to airline flying in the UK after having the procedure?

Now would seem to be the ideal time to get it done, as I doubt I'll be able to get a significant amount of time off once I return to the UK.

Phororhacos
24th Mar 2015, 15:07
current UK guidance here..

Guidance following eye surgery | Medical | Personal Licences and Training (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2499&pagetype=90&pageid=13878)

EMB-145LR
24th Mar 2015, 16:59
Thank you. So with that in mind I need to declare myself unfit to fly via my AME in the UK once I've had the surgery and then wait 3 months prior to revalidating my medical?

Phororhacos
25th Mar 2015, 13:21
yes, that would be my interpretation too.