PDA

View Full Version : Aero Rescue Questions

Famzos
22nd Mar 2015, 08:13
Hi,

I have a few questions for current Aero Rescue pilots please. If anyone currently flying for them is able to answer these, I'd appreciate it:

How many captains/FOs does AR run per aircraft or per base?

Is there a crew on standby at each base office every day during daylight hours or is it home standby?

If the standby crew is required to be at the base, how is the time spent?

How many standby days in a row is typical?

Is a low flying qualification a requirement? If so, is it an employment prerequisite or is it covered in the Aero Rescue training?

Do the pilots form a formal part of the search team during flight, IE: do they just get told to keep their eyes open and stay awake during a search or is there any formal training for this?

All help is greatly appreciated.

BPA
22nd Mar 2015, 10:13
You do know that AR have lost the contract to Cobham, who will start tacking over operations in 2016 using modified CL604s.

Famzos
22nd Mar 2015, 16:50
Yes I do know that.
Does anyone have any info on the actual posted questions above please? Cheers...

Dashunder
23rd Mar 2015, 00:29
Hi,

I have a few questions for current Aero Rescue pilots please. If anyone currently flying for them is able to answer these, I'd appreciate it:

How many captains/FOs does AR run per aircraft or per base?

Typically 5 Capt/5 FO, but recruiting more at the moment

Is there a crew on standby at each base office every day during daylight hours or is it home standby?
Yes on Shift during Daylight you are at the base, Shift changeover is around Lunchtime. After dark you are on STBY at home.

If the standby crew is required to be at the base, how is the time spent?

Study, relaxing, watching the box, study etc.

How many standby days in a row is typical?

In a 28 day period you have 8 RDO's, Shifts are Morning/Evening with the odd STBY period where you maybe required to step in if someone goes sick.

Is a low flying qualification a requirement? If so, is it an employment prerequisite or is it covered in the Aero Rescue training?

Yes, not sure about if it is a prerequisite.

Do the pilots form a formal part of the search team during flight, IE: do they just get told to keep their eyes open and stay awake during a search or is there any formal training for this?

formal training, everyone has a job, crew operate as a team, very involved with lots of checks and balances.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Good Luck.

AerocatS2A
25th Mar 2015, 10:53
Perhaps Famzos is actually looking to fly for Cobham and is trying to get a feel for the job from those who are currently flying the contract? (Or maybe he works for Cobham and is about to write their SAR ops manual :ok:)

Famzos
26th Mar 2015, 04:23
Hello gents, thankyou very much for all the responses so far. Some good material here and it's all very much appreciated. I sent a PM to Dashunder with a few more questions, not sure if you got it.

If you don't mind, how much flying do the AR pilots do a year and how often (just an average figure for an idea) do they get called out? Would each crew get a flight a week of operational flying? I know it's a 24hr coverage program but is it typically daytime flying or randomly around the clock?

Once online, how much ongoing training do they do to stay current?

BushPahlot
4th Apr 2015, 07:25
Is the role changing, I thought the CL 604's would be less efficient?

Will there be integration with special mission?